• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory 8x25 vs. Nikon Monarch 7 8x30? (1 Viewer)

Really exactly as you say, the binoculars with the larger exit pupil will have ease eye placement. And yes indded, in low light it doesn't really compensate few percent better light transmission in front of 5mm bigger aperture...

But I want to draw attention to something else. During the day, only on enough light, the binocular with higher transmission will be brighter, when the pupils of our eyes will close anyway below the exit pupils diameter of both binoculars. Maybe someone would say that: "on sunny days you don't need a high transmission binoculars because there is enough light anyway". But it is false because a binoculars with better light transmission will have more information in shady areas on sunny days than one with less transmission, even if it has a 5mm advantage at aperture. The Zeiss 8x25 has a light transmission at least 5% higher than the Nikon M7 8x30. For example, a bird on the bright sky will appear through Nikon in two or three shades of gray, and through Zeiss in a larger palette with greater dynamics of colors in shaded areas. So Zeiss has a big brightness advantage on sunny days and Nikon only a small advantage at night (I say "only" because at night the opening matters the most, but the transmission also has its contribution). But anyway, these binoculars will be used more during the day time
Absolutely. The Zeiss 8x25 have a wonderfully sharp clear bright view against the sky. I'm amazed. On the other hand, due to the small exit pupil they are finicky to use, and they are mechanically fragile; I would not recommend them for anyone who does not have a sedentary lifestyle, and do not plan to take them outside the city in the future.

Edmund

I have a new open box pair of Nikon HG 8x30 on sale on eBay for $749.95. They didn't work for me because the eye cups were too short for the eye relief because I have shallow eye sockets. If you want them, let me know, and I could cancel the listing and sell them direct to you for $700.00 shipped to your door. I ship fast. [email protected]. Nikon 8x30 Monarch HG Binoculars 16575 USA 18208165759 | eBay
thanks but that's still more than i could spend at this time. good luck with your sale.

I agree with what you are saying, and it is a good point. I have noticed that with higher transmission binoculars like my Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32's. They are so bright in the daytime and have such even field illumination, I think sometimes you think they have less contrast than a binocular with lower transmission, but they do not have less contrast. It is because they have higher transmission, and you can see into the shadows and darker areas of the FOV better even during the day and under bright light.

But I want to draw attention to something else. During the day, only on enough light, the binocular with higher transmission will be brighter, when the pupils of our eyes will close anyway below the exit pupils diameter of both binoculars. Maybe someone would say that: "on sunny days you don't need a high transmission binoculars because there is enough light anyway". But it is false because a binoculars with better light transmission will have more information in shady areas on sunny days than one with less transmission, even if it has a 5mm advantage at aperture. The Zeiss 8x25 has a light transmission at least 5% higher than the Nikon M7 8x30. For example, a bird on the bright sky will appear through Nikon in two or three shades of gray, and through Zeiss in a larger palette with greater dynamics of colors in shaded areas. So Zeiss has a big brightness advantage on sunny days

Thanks dorubird and denco. The above are good descriptions of what I observe in Zeiss FL 10x32 and 7x42 in terms of "seeing better into shadows" in otherwise bright conditions as compared to SW SV, UV HD+and Nikon EDG. I haven't compared this aspect particularly between the Zeiss 8x25 and SW 8x25 but you have piqued my interest.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back