• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New SF 8x32 delivered today but... (1 Viewer)

CSG

United States
There is, what seems to me, an obvious problem with the focuser. Not only is it not anywhere as smooth as either my Victory HT 8x42 or Conquest HD 8x32 but there is a good 1/4" of play when the focuser is at rest. Also, the diopter adjustment has even more free play when trying to adjust it. Serial# is 504****. Love the eyecups, plenty of relief, but I can't live with the focuser if this is how it's supposed to behave.

I can return it or replace it but I'm leery of the latter.

Edited to add that I'm returning them and not exchanging for another pair. The optics are better than my Conquest, subtly but noticeably so. But the hassle of going through shipping and hoping the next sample actually had some QC before being packaged just isn't worth the time to me. I can see why people like these if they have a good sample but when the focuser and diopter on the mid-level bins is sooo much better than the SFs I just received? And the diopter, upon further use, jumps out of position when you try to push it back down.

Last edited:
Honestly, as a Zeiss fanboy, I was stunned. They were in a sealed box, not someone else's return. What kills me is that BH did a price match of $1999.99, expedited shipping, and no tax. Ordered Tuesday and here today. What a damn shame about this pair.

Bummer. Of the 4 8x32 SF copies I've had in my possession can't say I've had or noticed a problem with the focuser play. I've used Swaro EL,NL and Leica Ultravid as a comparison and SF was my favorite focuser. Use what works for you, that's what I say.

Bummer. Of the 4 8x32 SF copies I've had in my possession can't say I've had or noticed a problem with the focuser play. I've used Swaro EL,NL and Leica Ultravid as a comparison and SF was my favorite focuser. Use what works for you, that's what I say.
This one is certainly defective and the diopter is even worse with free play and jumping out of position when trying to press it back down. Honestly, I'm just really disappointed as I would have liked these to have worked out. The optics were terrific as was the FOV.

Last edited:
This one's was certainly defective and the diopter was even worse with free play and jumping out of position when trying to press it back down. Honestly, I'm just really disappointed as I would have liked these to have worked out. The optics were terrific as was the FOV.
I do notice a small amount of free play on the diopter of the one I checked but I don’t consider it an issue. I should add that I don’t use the diopter and generally don’t expect anything in particular from them. That focuser should be nice though. The NL I had did have a couple rough spots and I did notice that. They might have smoothed out but didn’t have them long enough to find out. Maybe you can try another 8x32 SF copy someday. My two copies I sent in for service were SN 504XXXX and the last pair I purchased was 510XXXX. The replacement pair was 504XXXX.

My 8x32 SF Is serial 5042xxx and no quality issues as described above. Focuser is smooth with no play as is the diopter dial.
I wish I'd have shared your experience. Like I said, I was stunned out how bad the focuser and diopter was. Never seen anything like it in the Zeiss binoculars I own or have tried.

There is this interesting institution called a retailer who allow you - can you imagine this idea - to test the binocular you buy before you pay for it !!!! My experience with a retailer has been that stuff costs a lot more than online, easily 20% more, but you get a good sample as soon as you buy, and you get someone who represents you vis à vis Zeiss after-sales if you have realistic expectations of functionality and if -perish the thought- Zeiss do not see the customer's happiness as important.

In my view it is worth building a relationship with a retailer who knows that over a few years she will sell you several binoculars or related items.

Alternatively, you could purchase Zeiss binoculars that were gently preused by super-picky forum members who got them swapped until they obtained a good sample, or who sent them in for finetuning and who now sell them here to move on :)

Last, not least, there is the option to just get something good enuff and cheap that gets the job done, and I assure you irritation fades when everytime you use it your realise how little this thing cost you and what a decent job it does, and that using the cheapo lets you get on with your life, and maybe even get a spare for the car AND a spare for the house AND a spare for your friend AND a mini binocular for your pocket. . My local retailer sells very nice Nikon Monarch models which at three hundred euros or so do all the above - AND actually have a decent view.

I don't think that high end Zeiss optics are worth the bother if you don't actually get Zeiss quality control.

I have heard it said that those cheapish Swatch watches are really good because their production is automated :)

Edmund

Last edited:
There is, what seems to me, an obvious problem with the focuser. Not only is it not anywhere as smooth as either my Victory HT 8x42 or Conquest HD 8x32 but there is a good 1/4" of play when the focuser is at rest. Also, the diopter adjustment has even more free play when trying to adjust it. Serial# is 504****. Love the eyecups, plenty of relief, but I can't live with the focuser if this is how it's supposed to behave.

Edited to add that I'm returning them and not exchanging for another pair. The optics are better than my Conquest, subtly but noticeably so. But the hassle of going through shipping and hoping the next sample actually had some QC before being packaged just isn't worth the time to me. I can see why people like these if they have a good sample but when the focuser and diopter on the mid-level bins is sooo much better than the SFs I just received? And the diopter, upon further use, jumps out of position when you try to push it back down.
Wow, that is a real shame. I’m sorry to hear that Because they really are phenomena Binoculars, when they’re not defective. Mine is also a 504 serial number older than the firsts one I sent back because of the powder that turned out to be a Zeiss rubber protectant.

Both my examples had the best focuser of any binoculars Ive owned or tried. The diopter on both were was firm on turning and clicked in well. To me these are my favorite 8x32 roofs. If I remember this would be your third defective SF, I might give up on them as well. It definitely will keep me vigilant on the mechanics and optics as the weeks and months go by.

I guess it’s off to the swaro land for you on the NL road.

Shame they came that way.

Have you contacted B&H to let them know they are defective and see if they would work with you on defraying shipping costs, some type of credit, etc. for a replacement?

Also, sometimes a quick call to Zeiss customer support/repair can help determine if they are "within spec" or if they need to be repaired, and if they can be repaired without being shipped overseas. Zeiss does a good job with repairs.

This one is certainly defective and the diopter is even worse with free play and jumping out of position when trying to press it back down. Honestly, I'm just really disappointed as I would have liked these to have worked out. The optics were terrific as was the FOV.
I keep mixing the posts between you and birdcat, who has had a few issues and returns of his SF’s. Maybe not a bad idea to reconsider and give it another shot, B&H will certainly accommodate until you’re satisfied. What’s the big deal you put it back in the shipping box, tape it up, put their label on it. And drop it off. Suck it up and try it again. You know if you get a good one you’re gonna like it.

Paul

Have you contacted B&H to let them know they are defective and see if they would work with you on defraying shipping costs, some type of credit, etc. for a replacement?

Also, sometimes a quick call to Zeiss customer support/repair can help determine if they are "within spec" or if they need to be repaired, and if they can be repaired without being shipped overseas. Zeiss does a good job with repairs.
Once you repair an item you are stuck with it.

I do not share your opinion that Zeiss does a good job with repairs - I had a nightmare experience with them. It may be more truthful to say that Zeiss mostly does a good job on quality control and mostly does a good job with repairs but in both cases -as with any manufacturer- problems can arise, as indeed this very thread demonstrates.

Edmund

I called BH and they sent a no-cost return label. The will fully refund the charge to my card. I did not call Zeiss as there really was no reason to as I mentioned earlier.

I truly wished these had worked out but I'm not without a great pair of 8x32 binoculars already. I just hoped to get an 8x32 equivalent of my HT 8x42s. Optically, these SFs were comparable but the mechanics of my sample were shameful coming like this from Zeiss.

Last edited:
There is this interesting institution called a retailer who allow you - can you imagine this idea - to test the binocular you buy before you pay for it !!!! My experience with a retailer has been that stuff costs a lot more than online, easily 20% more, but you get a good sample as soon as you buy, and you get someone who represents you vis à vis Zeiss after-sales if you have realistic expectations of functionality and if -perish the thought- Zeiss do not see the customer's happiness as important.

In my view it is worth building a relationship with a retailer who knows that over a few years she will sell you several binoculars or related items.

Alternatively, you could purchase Zeiss binoculars that were gently preused by super-picky forum members who got them swapped until they obtained a good sample, or who sent them in for finetuning and who now sell them here to move on :)

Last, not least, there is the option to just get something good enuff and cheap that gets the job done, and I assure you irritation fades when everytime you use it your realise how little this thing cost you and what a decent job it does, and that using the cheapo lets you get on with your life, and maybe even get a spare for the car AND a spare for the house AND a spare for your friend AND a mini binocular for your pocket. . My local retailer sells very nice Nikon Monarch models which at three hundred euros or so do all the above - AND actually have a decent view.

I don't think that high end Zeiss optics are worth the bother if you don't actually get Zeiss quality control.

I have heard it said that those cheapish Swatch watches are really good because their production is automated :)

Edmund
If you lived where I do, you'd know that my only option is to buy online. I'm quite aware of the range of optics for telescopes, binoculars, etc. and if you read further, you'd know I have a range of optics from fair to excellent.

I called BH and they sent a no-cost return label. The will fully refund the charge to my card. I did not call Zeiss as there really was no reason to as I mentioned earlier.
One more possible consideration if you didn’t want to give BNH another chance (which I would, why not) to send out another one is to buy it somewhere else. I had Diane from birdwatching.com open the box and check my conquest focuser , diopter and just all-around function. And Adoroma opened a Swarovski 7x42 Habicht for me and took pictures. I believe it was Mori.

Dont give up, they are marvelous Binoculars. If you like your HT and your conquest once you get a good SF you’ll appreciate it. Heck I had to return two Televue 85’s.

I wish I'd have shared your experience. Like I said, I was stunned out how bad the focuser and diopter was. Never seen anything like it in the Zeiss binoculars I own or have tried.
I can appreciate the frustration. I had the same experience when trying out a pair of Swarovski NL’s at my local dealer - it was one of the things that put me off them….. the diopter on those wasnt an issue but it had similar type of free play as you’ve described in the focuser before the mechanism actually engaged…..

Mine are 499**** and I thought they were manufactured in 2020.

They seem fine to me, so I either got lucky, or it is the newer glasses which are having these nasty problems.

I would chalk it up to a bad batch, I have had this happen at B&H with a specific premium model, but it could happen elsewhere. I would try EuroOptic in Pennsylvania, you might get a break in price - no harm in asking, or try Sport Optics or Birdwatching.com as Paul mentioned. For now I would give it a break, if you really want them, wait until after Christmas and the new year, then you can get a good bargain then I am sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back