• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New SF 8x32 delivered today but... (2 Viewers)

Rough handling while contained in a protected box shouldn't make a damn bit of difference consider that these binoculars are meant to be used in the field and withstand rough conditions. It doesn't explain the issues that I experienced. As to doing it over and over like you have is not something I'm interested in doing.
That’s a valid point. A lot of things are possible, could’ve been banged around before it was put in the box. Obviously the fact you had two issues with them denotes a real lemon there. As far as the box is concerned, as I said earlier not something a lot guys would not accept. Come time to sell $2000 binoculars many buyers could have a problem with that.

As far as returning something a couple of times to get what you want and get it right, different strokes for different folks. I never had to return something a third time. So for me, it’s a nothing for nothing kind of thing. Today it seems like lots of things we buy have to be returned. That’s a whole other conversation.

If you want them, you go for it, if not settle for what you already have and don’t look back. You got some nice glass there. But the bug will probably bite you again otherwise you wouldn’t have that list of optics you have. Be well.

Merry Christmas

The consistency of craftsmanship for binoculars made approaching 20 years ago is gone today, so now even the phrase of "did you get a good sample" now describes premium glass.
Expressed often here on BF by others, is there any statistical data to support this idea? Or is this notion the product of the very small group of individuals who come here and pick nits, (sorry not trying to disparage BFers). There was, after all, no such resource 20 years ago. Who knows what the return rate was then?

It is only my opinion (I will remember to put this in my threads as a qualifier - IMO) after handling multiple binoculars over the years, well before I became a member of Birdforum. And yes I am sticking to it.

I think there is a general tendency on the part of people to portray the present as being somehow "worse" than the past.

Hence the old saw "They don't make 'em like they used to."

In some cases it is true, and in some cases it is only perception.

Three SFs for me this year, from B&H, and all are fabulous. 8x32, 10x32, 10x42.

Your issue with that one sample doesn't need to be a headache!

It's quite painless and easy to send back to B&H; they will swiftly send you another pair, which are quite likely to be just fine.

Why not give it a go? It's no big deal, at all, to return for a replacement.

The SFs are awesome bins, worth such a minor inconvenience. (I love my Conquest HDs, also, but my SFs even a bit more.)

Hence the old saw "They don't make 'em like they used to."
You may get a chuckle out of this, as Corp. Quality Manager for a largish maker of related consumer products, I once wrote a paper entitled, "They don't make em like they used to," then promptly stuck it in the file, never to see the light of day. This at the dawning of CAD, CAM, robotics as well as the revolution in manufacturing culture, wrought by the Japanese (with American help), in Total Quality Management. That title was a conscious play on words. No, we weren't then making them like we used to. We were making them better... in every way. No longer "at the table," I suspect that trend continues. Does anyone really believe they'd be better off with the best binocular available 30 years ago, as compared with an EL, NL, SF, UVHD Plus, etc.? Sorry Dries, you are of course to paraphrase another famous line, welcome to your belief.

Three SFs for me this year, from B&H, and all are fabulous. 8x32, 10x32, 10x42.

Your issue with that one sample doesn't need to be a headache!

It's quite painless and easy to send back to B&H; they will swiftly send you another pair, which are quite likely to be just fine.

Why not give it a go? It's no big deal, at all, to return for a replacement.

The SFs are awesome bins, worth such a minor inconvenience. (I love my Conquest HDs, also, but my SFs even a bit more.)
If you’re talking to me, I’ve explained why I chose not to do that a couple times already.

If you’re talking to me, I’ve explained why I chose not to do that a couple times already.
I think everybody here is kind of rooting for you, a couple of times and would like to hear it worked out for you, and that you enjoy these great SF’s for what they are. But we get it, it’s a hassle, it’s not worth your time. Thx for the post of your experience.

Merry Christmas

Does anyone really believe they'd be better off with the best binocular available 30 years ago, as compared with an EL, NL, SF, UVHD Plus, etc.?

No, but ... I can say for certain that many of the great old models of the past would be outstanding even by today's standards if only their lenses/prisms received modern-day coatings. The very few binoculars from that era that are still made today with modern coatings (eg. Swarovski Habicht) bear this out.

And that's just optically - which as we know is a vital, but not the only element of a good binocular. Now it's fair to say that modern binoculars have qualities that most older ones do not, ie. waterproofing, and some are clearly built tough, as the famous Conquest durability video shows (the thought of putting eg. my Binuxit through that sort of treatment makes me ill). But there is a kind of old school quality in the mechanics of a lot of old binoculars that makes them very pleasing to use. It's apparent even in the better Japanese binoculars of the JB/JE era, intended for the US mid-market, and the finesse and precision of something like a Zeiss West or Leitz is easily on par with anything made today. It's only in optical performance that they have (sadly) been left behind.

Do some folks not understand consistency of craftsmanship is not the same as saying, I would rather have a binocular made 30 years ago. Obviously more are made today, but from what I have seen, more errors are made today in the manufacturer of many goods, not just binoculars. The optics of many budget Chinese glass are quite good, ( of course some are dreadful) but it is the materials/construction of many that s...k.

Last edited:
Does some folks not understand consistency of craftsmanship is not the same as saying, I would rather have a binocular made 30 years ago. Obviously more are made today, but from what I have seen, more errors are made today in the manufacturer of many goods, not just binoculars. The optics of many budget Chinese glass are quite good, ( of course some are dreadful) but it is the materials/construction of many that s...k.
I absolutely agree, crap is crap no matter what decade it was made in. obody wanted a Japanese car in the 70s. But when looking at what is supposed to be relatively midgrade quality all the way up to high-quality goods I believe there is much more defective goods today making into the market place. I don’t know if that’s because of manufacturing processes that have gotten tremendously better over the decades yet we still see products with so many defects that don’t appear to be design dominant.

Obviously there’s a lot of garbage coming out of China that you buy in the morning at Walmart and it’s broken by dinner time, not necessarily talking about binoculars. Then on the other hand they are making some really good quality everything. Certainly not the best, but if you look where they were 10 years ago you can only imagine the improvement they could make in the next 10. It’s frightening.

I wouldn’t be surprised without political change over time in China that one day could wind up being the manufacturer of most all goods in the world. And all of the countries become more service orientated in their economies. A real dystopian scenario, 1984. It’s very possible that the 21 century will be the Chinese century.

I wouldn’t be surprised without political change over time in China that one day could wind up being the manufacturer of most all goods in the world. And all of the countries become more service orientated in their economies. A real dystopian scenario, 1984. It’s very possible that the 21 century will be the Chinese century.

Political change in China will only come about if and when the middle classes start to feel a financial pinch. So far, the middle classes are effectively the CCP's 'client state' - things might change only when the economy falters. I won't hold my breath, but I will withhold my money... one of the reasons I recently bought Zeiss bins was because most of the (affordable) options were made in China. It'll cost me more to take this sort of stance, but my conscience will be clear. If we think there is a threat implicit in the 'Chinese century', we all know what we can do to prevent it. And don't think that the US, Japan, EU and the UK have much influence; when the world is effectively run by global corporations, you can turn a blind eye to anything but the bottom line and shareholder value. The market (me and you) can play the dictatorships at a game that hurts them most - not state-sponsored thuggery, but starving them economically. Sad thing is, I doubt the average Joe in the street will care about all this... the consumer wants to buy cheap, whatever the cost.

To Patudo, I bought in 1984ish Zeiss 1040B made in West Germany binos. They were all I had till the summer of 2020. I still own them, will not sell them, they are great. I also bought at the same time Leitz Trinovid 10x40BA. My sister still has those, my BIL and I use them to go birding whenever I get to Baltimore. They to are great, and Im glad I still get to use them. I bought both as the best of the day, after a shootout with 2 of the better known outdoor writers at the time, who were friends, and brought several binos to the party to try. Indeed mechanically both were and are still great. Your point about modern glass and coatings is partly correct, but then theres optical features like FOV, flat field (if thats your thing), eye relief, indeed waterproofing, to. My ELs are every bit as nice, and better tools. Hopefully you're not saying optics to the side, modern binos are not the equal mechanically, durability-wise, of those of comparable quality levels?

dries1, This, "Do some folks not understand consistency of craftsmanship is not the same as saying, I would rather have a binocular made 30 years ago." I'm not quite sure what youre trying to say, sorry. We need to distinguish, as it doesn't seem you've done, between best quality and lesser Q, binos made at a price for mass consumption. We should not conflate these two. If youre second sentence is correct, "more binos are being made today," we need to think about return rate, as distinct from # returned. Ive written about this in other places here. CAD, CAM, robotics, maybe more importantly TQM, JIT, (can only happen built on a TQM system), assure more reliable quality... depending on the level of quality desired. Cheaply made stuff, by design is doomed to fail early. The sky isnt falling for the brands/models I listed above. Indeed there may be more returned today, do to higher volume made. But whats the % return compared to total production? We dont know. Those are proprietary numbers. I'd bet the best of the best has lower rates today, in spite of BF teeth gnashing. Jan was right a couple days ago saying something, and I'll paraphrase, "A purchaser of a great bino will influence 10 people to buy, the purchaser of a lemon will complain and effect the choice of a hundred." Thats a bad job on the quote, sorry Jan, but the belief in that, comes directly from the culture of Total Quality Management (a dated term as it and am I, Im sure). For more see below.

Paultricounty, "Nobody wanted a Japanese car in the 70s." Well, no, thats not zactly correct. I was born in 1944. Went to the local five and dime as a kid and got cheaply made tin toys from Japan that were made from the scrap/detritus of WWII, as the only means of generating revenue for the country as it worked to rebuild. I distinctly remember my parent bemoaning MIJ as cheap crap that nobody should buy. That was the '50s and '60's. Ironically those comments I grew up with sound very similar to what is being said here about MIC. But back to your above. Things changed there. Taught by Joe Juran, Edwards Deming, Frank Gryna, American Quality engineers invited by MacArthur's occupational government, the Japanese rebuilt infrastructure with then brand new technology. More importantly, essentially starting from scratch, they also rebuilt the culture within their manufacturing businesses. CEOs to janitors were taught a culture of making things right the first time, to minimize internal failure costs and win over customers. By the mid/later 1970s Japan auto makers were eating Detroit's lunch, had taken over consumer electronics and were chewing away on optics. In 1981, I was one of the US Quality management execs who schlepped to Japan to try and figure out what was happening and how to fix it. I'll never forget, sitting in a meeting with Nippon Oils and Fats, as I recall then owner of Nissan and several other industrial businesses, somewhat cowed by the fact I was a nobody, and the heads of that company were willing to talk with me. They said something like, "we're a little puzzled, why you're here. You taught us, now you want us to teach you.... OK, thank you," and they did. I visited Seiko watch, saw, a fully automated, mechanical watch, production line, with no human hands interventing. How's that for irony? I went to the Yodobashi Camera shop and bought my Nikon's in Tokyo. What a store! Multiple floors of stuff superbly made. Innovative hi fis, to optics, and all coming to the US....

Read WJCs latest to get a sense of who's making what for whom, whatever the brand/model. Welcome to globalization, folks. Ironically the world I grew up in cast a value, a label, an attitude, on MIJ, maybe relating to WWII events, maybe relating to those tin toys they sold and we bought as the Japanese fought to rebuild. Japan had to fight for years to rebuild attitudes and valuation of MIJ. Beliefs have momentum. It feels like even to today somehow MIE for optics carries prestige over MIJ and we're willing to pay for the soft attribute of made in Germany, or made in Austria. I agree much of whats coming from China is being made for a price, where best quality cant exist. But we do know who's making our iPhones, laptops, desk tops, TVs, right?

Political change in China will only come about if and when the middle classes start to feel a financial pinch. So far, the middle classes are effectively the CCP's 'client state' - things might change only when the economy falters. I won't hold my breath, but I will withhold my money... one of the reasons I recently bought Zeiss bins was because most of the (affordable) options were made in China. It'll cost me more to take this sort of stance, but my conscience will be clear. If we think there is a threat implicit in the 'Chinese century', we all know what we can do to prevent it. And don't think that the US, Japan, EU and the UK have much influence; when the world is effectively run by global corporations, you can turn a blind eye to anything but the bottom line and shareholder value. The market (me and you) can play the dictatorships at a game that hurts them most - not state-sponsored thuggery, but starving them economically. Sad thing is, I doubt the average Joe in the street will care about all this... the consumer wants to buy cheap, whatever the cost.
Very well said, I couldn’t agree more. You’re in the states like me. I can’t speak about European or other Asian countries perceptions but I know people here don’t get it.

I sat or should I say I stood on a line that wrapped around three isles at Home Depot in the height of the pandemic in New York. Every day reports were coming out of how many people were dying, how many people were hospitalized and how many people were homesick do to the chyna virus. Everybody wearing a mask, most wearing surgical gloves. Almost every product in every one of those shopping carts were made in China. People are dying, businesses are shut, and people I throwing your money at the criminals. As civil liberties here or being stepped on at almost every mandate.

Nothing will be done about it in this country to punish China. And I really don’t want to hear the arguments about how you would punish them. There a economy is almost tied to the hip with the US. And they know it. It won’t be 10-20 years from now. If America had the backbone and political will, china would be talking a lot differently today. No doubt it would hurt our economy, but in the long run we’d prevail.

The greatest generation has been dying off for many years now. Whom would never have allowed these type of shutdowns and closings. Today were left with a large populace of sheep.

Nothing will be done about it in this country to punish China. If America had the backbone and political will, china would be talking a lot differently today. No doubt it would hurt our economy, but in the long run we’d prevail.

The greatest generation has been dying off for many years now. Whom would never have allowed these type of shutdowns and closings. Today were left with a large populace of sheep.
Indeed. Woke sheeple flooding the place. But, America did have the backbone and will to do something about it - until January 2021, that is. :rolleyes: Trouble was, the media influence (not to mention the educational system) and low information voters blew that backbone to pieces. Way too many woke mealy mouths in the USA today, sadly. Hope for (pray for) change in 2022.

People have been flocking here from all around the world, for decades, to take advantage of what we have built... only to erode that greatness - and Americans themselves have contributed to that erosion.

You and I grew up in the land of blessed milk and honey. We knew what it was like to live in the land of free and home of the brave. Those days are long gone, unfortunately. The USA was the last place on earth for all of that... and we're watching it slip away, as the waves of woke wash the sand from beneath our feet.

If we are not strong with China... we, and the world will suffer. It's got to happen with the USA first.

There are some glimmers of hope. Taiwan Semiconductor builds $12 billion high-end semiconductor facility in Phoenix, Samsung builds $17 billion dollar semiconductor facility in Texas, Intel builds $20 billion high-end semiconductor facility in Arizona. For the most sophisticated chips in the world, Taiwan SemiConductor builds 80% and Samsung builds 20%. Intel hopes to join in. It is great news that these companies are distancing themselves to a degree from Asia and building in the USA. It's a step away from dependence on Asia for critical semiconductor manufacturing.

Let's face it - even your tooth brush and hot water kettle are controlled by chips! We need to build our own.

Last edited:
To Patudo, I bought in 1984ish Zeiss 1040B made in West Germany binos. They were all I had till the summer of 2020. I still own them, will not sell them, they are great. I also bought at the same time Leitz Trinovid 10x40BA. My sister still has those, my BIL and I use them to go birding whenever I get to Baltimore. They to are great, and Im glad I still get to use them. I bought both as the best of the day, after a shootout with 2 of the better known outdoor writers at the time, who were friends, and brought several binos to the party to try. Indeed mechanically both were and are still great. Your point about modern glass and coatings is partly correct, but then theres optical features like FOV, flat field (if thats your thing), eye relief, indeed waterproofing, to. My ELs are every bit as nice, and better tools. Hopefully you're not saying optics to the side, modern binos are not the equal mechanically, durability-wise, of those of comparable quality levels?

dries1, This, "Do some folks not understand consistency of craftsmanship is not the same as saying, I would rather have a binocular made 30 years ago." I'm not quite sure what youre trying to say, sorry. We need to distinguish, as it doesn't seem you've done, between best quality and lesser Q, binos made at a price for mass consumption. We should not conflate these two. If youre second sentence is correct, "more binos are being made today," we need to think about return rate, as distinct from # returned. Ive written about this in other places here. CAD, CAM, robotics, maybe more importantly TQM, JIT, (can only happen built on a TQM system), assure more reliable quality... depending on the level of quality desired. Cheaply made stuff, by design is doomed to fail early. The sky isnt falling for the brands/models I listed above. Indeed there may be more returned today, do to higher volume made. But whats the % return compared to total production? We dont know. Those are proprietary numbers. I'd bet the best of the best has lower rates today, in spite of BF teeth gnashing. Jan was right a couple days ago saying something, and I'll paraphrase, "A purchaser of a great bino will influence 10 people to buy, the purchaser of a lemon will complain and effect the choice of a hundred." Thats a bad job on the quote, sorry Jan, but the belief in that, comes directly from the culture of Total Quality Management (a dated term as it and am I, Im sure). For more see below.

Paultricounty, "Nobody wanted a Japanese car in the 70s." Well, no, thats not zactly correct. I was born in 1944. Went to the local five and dime as a kid and got cheaply made tin toys from Japan that were made from the scrap/detritus of WWII, as the only means of generating revenue for the country as it worked to rebuild. I distinctly remember my parent bemoaning MIJ as cheap crap that nobody should buy. That was the '50s and '60's. Ironically those comments I grew up with sound very similar to what is being said here about MIC. But back to your above. Things changed there. Taught by Joe Juran, Edwards Deming, Frank Gryna, American Quality engineers invited by MacArthur's occupational government, the Japanese rebuilt infrastructure with then brand new technology. More importantly, essentially starting from scratch, they also rebuilt the culture within their manufacturing businesses. CEOs to janitors were taught a culture of making things right the first time, to minimize internal failure costs and win over customers. By the mid/later 1970s Japan auto makers were eating Detroit's lunch, had taken over consumer electronics and were chewing away on optics. In 1981, I was one of the US Quality management execs who schlepped to Japan to try and figure out what was happening and how to fix it. I'll never forget, sitting in a meeting with Nippon Oils and Fats, as I recall then owner of Nissan and several other industrial businesses, somewhat cowed by the fact I was a nobody, and the heads of that company were willing to talk with me. They said something like, "we're a little puzzled, why you're here. You taught us, now you want us to teach you.... OK, thank you," and they did. I visited Seiko watch, saw, a fully automated, mechanical watch, production line, with no human hands interventing. How's that for irony? I went to the Yodobashi Camera shop and bought my Nikon's in Tokyo. What a store! Multiple floors of stuff superbly made. Innovative hi fis, to optics, and all coming to the US....

Read WJCs latest to get a sense of who's making what for whom, whatever the brand/model. Welcome to globalization, folks. Ironically the world I grew up in cast a value, a label, an attitude, on MIJ, maybe relating to WWII events, maybe relating to those tin toys they sold and we bought as the Japanese fought to rebuild. Japan had to fight for years to rebuild attitudes and valuation of MIJ. Beliefs have momentum. It feels like even to today somehow MIE for optics carries prestige over MIJ and we're willing to pay for the soft attribute of made in Germany, or made in Austria. I agree much of whats coming from China is being made for a price, where best quality cant exist. But we do know who's making our iPhones, laptops, desk tops, TVs, right?
Your kind of Agreeing about what I said. Late 60s early 70s very few people wanted a Japanese car in the states or Japanese products. Because they were crap. As far as the Japanese auto industry eating everybody’s lunch, that came later in the 70s, after two oil embargo‘s, bad bad management on the part of American auto industry still making large eight cylinder cars that got terrible gas mileage, and emission control devices which eliminated most performance cars. That all came together like a perfect storm. We can throw in to recessions and ridiculously high inflation, but that’s for another conversation.

Japan weather by design well lucky timing were producing cheaper, more economical vehicles than what America was producing. So it wasn’t just Japanese manufacturing culture. A lot more went into that. Now we look at Japanese cars and say they’re too expensive, their labor costs have gone up. Now we want Korean cars.

Today as gas prices approach 4 to 5 dollars a gallon, Ford’s most popular selling vehicle is the Ford 150 pick up truck with an eight cylinder. Does history repeat itself.

once China enters the auto manufacturing business, it will change the auto world. Not to mention they are going to bring the cheapest and most advanced electric vehicles to the market. They produce most of the worlds batteries today.

Back to the topic at hand. We have a few members that order high-end Binocular, SF, EL, NL and get a bad unit and suddenly it’s not worth to try to get another one. They are assuming the old one they had didn’t have problems when it first came out. Based on volume it’s possible that there are less defects in ratio to numbers manufactured Today than 30 years ago. That wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Indeed. Woke sheeple flooding the place. But, America did have the backbone and will to do something about it - until January 2021, that is. :rolleyes: Trouble was, the media influence (not to mention the educational system) and low information voters blew that backbone to pieces. Way too many woke mealy mouths in the USA today, sadly. Hope for (pray for) change in 2022.

People have been flocking here from all around the world, for decades, to take advantage of what we have built... only to erode that greatness - and Americans themselves have contributed to that erosion.

You and I grew up in the land of blessed milk and honey. We knew what it was like to live in the land of free and home of the brave. Those days are long gone, unfortunately. The USA was the last place on earth for all of that... and we're watching it slip away, as the waves of woke wash the sand from beneath our feet.
You put a tear in my eye ZD… yes we were on a damn good path of solving some of the political and corporate influenced mistakes made over the last 30 to 40 years. I know what your saying. Unless some stupid group of jellyfish backbones mess up unbelievably, 2022 should be a good year. But don’t hold your breath, seems to me victories have been dropped at the last moment by people who should’ve won.

I don’t wanna get into too much detail here because it’s possible we could be censored if opinions don’t lineup with those in charge. And I would be disappointed to lose stimulating conversation and banter that bird forum has to offer. Thats being said after I just left a store that everybody has to wear a mask and if you’re not vaccinated you can’t even go into a restaurant.

The topic was SF issues that a few people had. I have to say that we’ve heard issues with the other two Alpha Companies as well if you will. Can’t even imagine the return rate on lesser quality made optics.
I love the new additions to my collection, UVHD+ and the SF. You were instrumental for me trying the Leica. Which was supposed to be a comparison of the two and return the one that had less desirability. Unfortunately I fell in love with the Leica’s and the SF is way too good to return.

Thank you
merry Christmas

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back