• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else like Birds AND planes? (5 Viewers)

Glad I spotted this thread - just bought the eBook on Google play for £3.99!

Cheers Paul

Edit: Under the Wire about the real life basis of Steve McQueen's Cooler King is an easy but interesting read

Last edited:
Personalities and friendships made are one thing. 1st hand accounts of initial attacks on the '4 Engines' -- fascinating. I look forward to more from the author. He came around at the right time. The end of an era. Enjoy.

202 Squadron

A frequent sight over our area for several decades (below) an S&R helicopter of 'A' Flight of 202 Squadron, taken half a mile from my home a couple of days ago.

Sadly, it is soon to be a thing of the past and the familiar sound of the engines of a Sea King from nearby RAF Boulmer will be heard no more.

Search and Rescue helicopters have been operating in the area since the 1960s, firstly with Westland Whirlwinds at RAF Acklington which were replaced by Wessex, then Sea Kings in the 1970s, just about the time that Acklington closed and the flight relocated a few miles to Boulmer where they have operated since.

Boulmer is literally less than two minutes flying time from the Northumberland coast. When you're on the sea you can actually see the stand-by helicopter waiting outside its hangar. Its helicopters have been called out to countless local rescues as well as those further afield, such as rescuing fallen climbers in the Lake District.

It was also 202 Squadron that helped out at the Alexander Keilland tragedy in 1980. A very brave man that I used to play darts with was a winchman in that rescue and was awarded for his actions (as well as having a 'This is Your Life' programme dedicated to him).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_L._Kielland_(platform)

From 2016 the helicopter station will close and any fishermen getting into trouble off the Northumberland coast, instead of having to survive a short while awaiting a helicopter will have to wait about an hour longer for a helicopter from Prestwick, on the west coast of Scotland, 120 miles west of Boulmer, Lossiemouth on the Moray Firth, 170 miles north of Boulmer or from Leconsfield near Hull, about 115 miles to the south. The RAF role of S & R has been farmed out by the government to Bristow's, a private firm.

http://www.northumberlandgazette.co...nd-rescue-set-to-end-at-raf-boulmer-1-5529732

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/raf-boulmer-end-search-rescue-4420695

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-21939039

The government when it announced the closure claimed that these stations could provide cover over the whole area covered with the same average response time as Boulmer. When you're bobbing about in the cold North Sea, it's not the average response time that counts - it's the minimum response time that's crucial, but the accountants don't see it that way.

Attachments

• Sea-King-(4)-web.jpg
    Sea-King-(4)-web.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
A frequent sight over our area for several decades (below) an S&R helicopter of 'A' Flight of 202 Squadron, taken half a mile from my home a couple of days ago.

Sadly, it is soon to be a thing of the past and the familiar sound of the engines of a Sea King from nearby RAF Boulmer will be heard no more.

Search and Rescue helicopters have been operating in the area since the 1960s, firstly with Westland Whirlwinds at RAF Acklington which were replaced by Wessex, then Sea Kings in the 1970s, just about the time that Acklington closed and the flight relocated a few miles to Boulmer where they have operated since.

Boulmer is literally less than two minutes flying time from the Northumberland coast. When you're on the sea you can actually see the stand-by helicopter waiting outside its hangar. Its helicopters have been called out to countless local rescues as well as those further afield, such as rescuing fallen climbers in the Lake District.

It was also 202 Squadron that helped out at the Alexander Keilland tragedy in 1980. A very brave man that I used to play darts with was a winchman in that rescue and was awarded for his actions (as well as having a 'This is Your Life' programme dedicated to him).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_L._Kielland_(platform)

From 2016 the helicopter station will close and any fishermen getting into trouble off the Northumberland coast, instead of having to survive a short while awaiting a helicopter will have to wait about an hour longer for a helicopter from Prestwick, on the west coast of Scotland, 120 miles west of Boulmer, Lossiemouth on the Moray Firth, 170 miles north of Boulmer or from Leconsfield near Hull, about 115 miles to the south. The RAF role of S & R has been farmed out by the government to Bristow's, a private firm.

http://www.northumberlandgazette.co...nd-rescue-set-to-end-at-raf-boulmer-1-5529732

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/raf-boulmer-end-search-rescue-4420695

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-21939039

The government when it announced the closure claimed that these stations could provide cover over the whole area covered with the same average response time as Boulmer. When you're bobbing about in the cold North Sea, it's not the average response time that counts - it's the minimum response time that's crucial, but the accountants don't see it that way.

I agree with everything you say. Accountants should be dropped into the North Sea and left to think about their fate for a while before being given important decisions to make about SAR. If after that they still come to the same conclusion, well, drop 'em in again.

John

Today I was on the shore across from Logan Airport on Boston Harbor.

I think that this is a Boeing 787 on it's way to Tokyo.

Attachments

• 2014 12 27 11 59 25.jpg
    2014 12 27 11 59 25.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Indeed it is. I have flown in and out of Logan many many times (twice this year) do you remember the bar on the 17th (19th?) floor of the control tower? I believe it has gone now but what a great place for a beer!

I vaguely recall that there was public access to an observatory/restaurant/bar area up in the control tower. (Logan's control tower has some record for it's height. It's certainly distinctive.) I went up once as a kid. Back in the 1960's and early 1970's my mother would take me to Logan so that I could just see all the airplanes at the gates. Recall the days when you didn't need a boarding pass to go to all the gates? That was back when there were 707s, 727s, L-1011s and DC-10's and DC-8s at the airport. My first flight as a kid was on a 707.

Attached photos from when I was a kid and went up the tower to look out.

Attachments

• Logan.jpg
    Logan.jpg
    522 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Three more old photos at Logan from probably the late 1960's or early 1970's. The photos are not dated.

Attachments

• Scan_Pic0002.jpg
    Scan_Pic0002.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Scan_Pic0003.jpg
    Scan_Pic0003.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Scan_Pic0004.jpg
    Scan_Pic0004.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 66
Just looking up the L-1011 the first ones went into service in 1972 with Eastern Airlines. Eastern Airlines was one of the dominant airlines at Logan at the time. That is an Eastern Airlines L-1011 so the plane was likely one of the first several in service.

Managed to combine flying and viewing planes earlier this week with first a ground level and then an aerial recce of the USS Theodore Roosevelt moored in Stokes Bay, off Gosport. Always a treat to see one of these behemoths.

John

Attachments

• 2015_03_23 (8)_USS_Theodore_Roosevelt (800x533).jpg
    2015_03_23 (8)_USS_Theodore_Roosevelt (800x533).jpg
    209 KB · Views: 59
  • 2015_03_23 (18)_USS_Theodore_Roosevelt (800x533).jpg
    2015_03_23 (18)_USS_Theodore_Roosevelt (800x533).jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 2015_03_25 (33)_USS_Theodore_Roosevelt (800x533).jpg
    2015_03_25 (33)_USS_Theodore_Roosevelt (800x533).jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 2015_03_25 (41)_USS_Theodore_Roosevelt (800x267).jpg
    2015_03_25 (41)_USS_Theodore_Roosevelt (800x267).jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 79
Managed to combine flying and viewing planes earlier this week with first a ground level and then an aerial recce of the USS Theodore Roosevelt moored in Stokes Bay, off Gosport. Always a treat to see one of these behemoths.

John

Very cool. How were you able to fly so near. Are you RAF?

Very cool. How were you able to fly so near. Are you RAF?

No. The exclusion zone was a lateral mile and a vertical 1500 feet. Easy with a DSLR. For the record the aerial shots are with a Canon 7d Mk i and a 100mm f/2.8, taken from a Piper PA-28 Cherokee registered G-BBKX, piloted by my brother David.

No. The exclusion zone was a lateral mile and a vertical 1500 feet. Easy with a DSLR. For the record the aerial shots are with a Canon 7d Mk i and a 100mm f/2.8, taken from a Piper PA-28 Cherokee registered G-BBKX, piloted by my brother David.

Funny how a thing will catch your interest. Googled Piper PA-28 Cherokee and learned it was first introduced in 1960 and is still in production. The design of some things don't need much to improve.

Funny how a thing will catch your interest. Googled Piper PA-28 Cherokee and learned it was first introduced in 1960 and is still in production. The design of some things don't need much to improve.

Indeed. The Cessna 150 is another aviation example.

Here are a couple of G-BBKX: one taken from the West end of Farnborough Airport, the other at a Duxford Flying Legends airshow that Dave kindly flew us up to: he and I have a running competition to take pictures of Kilo X-ray with airshow participants in the same shot!

John

Attachments

• 2015_03_06 (22)_G-BBKX_Piper_PA-28_Cherokee (800x533).jpg
    2015_03_06 (22)_G-BBKX_Piper_PA-28_Cherokee (800x533).jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Spitfire_and_Cherokee_v2 (2) (800x533).jpg
    Spitfire_and_Cherokee_v2 (2) (800x533).jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 58

Users who are viewing this thread

Back