• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swarovision EL (1 Viewer)

So those (probably quite alot of ppl, some don´t bother with optics and just pick what looks best and sticks with it for 15 years) who buy the Swarovision without trying can get a nasty surprise. Or a pleasant one ;)

Oleaf,

Although Manni can clarify what he really meant, my interpretation of:

is that that the combination of a flat field and no distortion necessarily results in a rolling ball effect. To repeat, I'm not aware that field curvature is involved with the globe illusion at all, but I'm willing to learn.

However, you made a much stronger statement:

I don't know of any studies or anecdotal evidence showing such a causal relationship between field curvature and the globe effect. As an illustration, my 8x32 SEs, which have a flat field, produce no more globe effect that my 8x30 SLCs, which have significant field curvature. They both have about the same amount of distortion, however.

Ed

Elkcub,

I think your getting some things mixed up here but I'm not the one to straighten it out. Go look through a SLR wide lens (say a 10-14mm) and pan around. You'll get a big dose of what "rolling ball" is. Since a SLR takes static shots... rolling ball doesn't matter. But... the wide lens is "corrected" to make the scene look flat. It's not flat... the outside of the view is actually curved away from you.

There's no binocular with a truly "flat" corrected view... you couldn't pan without getting sick.

Go grab a SLR camera with a super wide lens (not a fish eye as those are not corrected)

Cheers

Thanks Ingle1970 and Peak Birder for your replies. Good to hear 8x32s will follow eventually - gives me more time to save up!

I'll definitely check out the 8.5x42 in the meantime - I tried In Focus at Martin Mere yesterday but they said they would only get them in on special order. Wilkinson Cameras didn't have them last time I checked (I live in Preston) but I've found that the field testing facilities aren't that great in the shopping centre!

Thanks again for your help - I'll post my thoughts once I get my hands on a pair.

Cheers

James

you could "buy" a pair from In-focus , then you have plenty of time to evaluate them in the 2 week approval period , then return them . ;)

Elkcub,

I think your getting some things mixed up here but I'm not the one to straighten it out. Go look through a SLR wide lens (say a 10-14mm) and pan around. You'll get a big dose of what "rolling ball" is. Since a SLR takes static shots... rolling ball doesn't matter. But... the wide lens is "corrected" to make the scene look flat. It's not flat... the outside of the view is actually curved away from you.

There's no binocular with a truly "flat" corrected view... you couldn't pan without getting sick.

Go grab a SLR camera with a super wide lens (not a fish eye as those are not corrected)

Cheers

Dear Oleaf,

Let me give it one more try. Here is the abstract from Holger Merlitz' paper published by the Optical Society of America. If you find any reference to field curvature, either here or in the main article, please point it out. The title is "Distortion of binoculars revisited: Does the sweet spot exist?" (The "sweet spot," incidentally, is not what most people refer to by that term, but rather a narrow range for an optimizing parameter.)

If after reading this you believe that panning with a wide-angle SLR produces the same globe illusion, particularly because its corrected for field curvature, that is entirely up to you. Forgive me, but I find it amusing that you also think I've got "some things mixed up."

Sixty years ago, August Sonnefeld of Zeiss reported on observations with experimental telescopes. The goal of his investigation was to determine the ideal amount of distortion applied to optical instruments that are used in combination with the human eye. His studies were inconclusive and partially contradictory. We have picked up this problem once again, adopting a modern point of view about the human imaging process, and supported by computer graphics. Based on experiments with Helmholtz checkerboards, we argue that human imaging introduces a certain amount of barrel distortion, which has to be counterbalanced through the implementation of an equally strong pincushion distortion into the binocular design. We discuss in detail how this approach is capable of eliminating the globe effect of the panning binocular and how the residual pincushion distortion affects the image when the eye is pointing off-center. Our results support the binocular designer in optimizing his instrument for its intended mode of application, and may help binocular users and astronomers better understand their tools. © 2009 Optical Society of America
OCIS codes: 220.1000, 330.4060, 330.7321, 000.2850

Your statement:
appears to be the basis for an insightful publication all of its own.

Cheers,
Ed

Hello...please!!!!!! someone can explain me in a few words what the rolling effect is?????(i've read a lot about it, but i can clearly understand what does it mean.....) Thank you...Pablo

Hello...please!!!!!! someone can explain me in a few words what the rolling effect is?????(i've read a lot about it, but i can clearly understand what does it mean.....) Thank you...Pablo

Hi Pablo,

In a few words, this Wiki article does a good job. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globe_effect

The effect is an optical illusion associated with a panning movement. Strictly speaking it falls in the domain of visual psychophysics, i.e., the intersection of psychology and optical physics. Hemholtz was one of the fathers of the subject. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_von_Helmholtz

Ed

Last edited:
Ed,
At the risk of seeming impertinent here, which I assure you I am not; is there any way of determining in the domain of visual psychophysics what percent of the discipline is psychology and what percent is solid physics? My oldest son is in a graduate program working on his PhD in Physics and I'm not sure he has even heard of this field, but I will check with him tomorrow.
Cordially,
Bob

Elkcub,

May your flat, corrected field of view never be filled with "rolling ball" LOL!
(because it'll have a little pincushion distortion built in)

Cheers

Ed,
At the risk of seeming impertinent here, which I assure you I am not; is there any way of determining in the domain of visual psychophysics what percent of the discipline is psychology and what percent is solid physics? My oldest son is in a graduate program working on his PhD in Physics and I'm not sure he has even heard of this field, but I will check with him tomorrow.
Cordially,
Bob

Actually, that's a very good question, but hard to answer concisely.

Back in the 19th Century academics were not divided up quite like they are today. Hemholtz, for example, was a renaissance man in the true sense, being a philosopher, mathematician, physicist, physiologist, and sensory psychologist all in one. Some geniuses like that exist in modern times, for example, Thomas Gold, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Gold, whose major contributions spanned physics, astronomy, engineering, and sensory psychology. Gold made notable contributions to auditory psychophysics.

Nowadays, I would say that most psychophysicists have strong backgrounds in engineering or physics, possibly to a Masters level. Some great mathematicians, such as R. Duncan Luce http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Duncan_Luce chose to dedicate their careers to psychology and psychophysics.

Overall, every experimental psychologist has training in psychophysics, but the strength of their physics and engineering backgrounds vary. I expect that most pure physicists don't get much if any exposure to psychophysics in their curriculum, but later may choose to apply themselves in that field. They are often standouts. Mathematics, of course, is the underpinning of it all, altho psychology emphasizes statistics and physics emphasizes calculus.

As percentages go, the psychology/physics split is probably proportional to the growth path of the individual researcher. Sorry to provide such a muddled response.

Anyway, congratulations on having a Ph.D. on the way (and a potential psychophysicist.) :t:

Ed

Last edited:
Actually, that's a very good question, but hard to answer concisely.

Back in the 19th Century academics were not divided up quite like they are today. Hemholtz, for example, was a renaissance man in the true sense, being a philosopher, mathematician, physicist, physiologist, and sensory psychologist all in one. Some geniuses like that exist in modern times, for example, Thomas Gold, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Gold, whose major contributions spanned physics, astronomy, engineering, and sensory psychology. Gold made notable contributions to auditory psychophysics.

Nowadays, I would say that most psychophysicists have strong backgrounds in engineering or physics, possibly to a Masters level. Some great mathematicians, such as R. Duncan Luce http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Duncan_Luce chose to dedicate their careers to psychology and psychophysics.

Overall, every experimental psychologist has training in psychophysics, but the strength of their physics and engineering backgrounds vary. I expect that most pure physicists don't get much if any exposure to psychophysics in their curriculum, but later may choose to apply themselves in that field. They are often standouts. Mathematics, of course, is the underpinning of it all, altho psychology emphasizes statistics and physics emphasizes calculus.

As percentages go, the psychology/physics split is probably proportional to the growth path of the individual researcher. Sorry to provide such a muddled response.

Anyway, congratulations on having a Ph.D. on the way (and a potential psychophysicist.) :t:

Ed

Thanks for taking the time to answer this, Ed. It is concise enough and certainly not muddled. I've e-mailed this to my son and am looking forward to hearing his "take" on it.
Bob

I'll skip all the theory and speak up as someone who has actually used them in the field. I spent all weekend birding. These are amazing binoculars and I'm very happy with them. Was the rolling globe effect noticeable? Only on one occasion. I was at a site where I had a clear view of the horizon. If I panned quickly, faster than what would be appropriate for birding, the effect was noticeable. If I panned more slowly or followed birds in flight, I did not notice the effect.

Ok...thank you Manni and Elkcub...finally I understand it.....next week I'll try the new swarovski EL....i'll tell you if I buy them....

new 10x42 swarovision ELs

I received a pair of 10x42s a week or so ago and have been using them in the field since then. I have been having trouble finding 10s that suited my eyes - probably something do do with my ageing eyes being unable to cope with the combination of shallow dof and the rapid focus of most modern bins. Tried Zeiss FLs and they did not work for me, then tried Nikons - just as bad. However, i am glad to say that the new ELs suit my eyes well and I have no trouble using them.

Initial thoughts:

handling - much better than the original ELs which I found to be too "fat" and did not fit my hands well. The new bins are slimmed down a little - enough to fit my hands really comfortably. The balance is superb. Speed of focus seems to be just right for me.

Optics - could anything be any sharper? The sharp definition from edge to edge is a sight to behold. No hint of CA (at least to my eyes), and very bright (for a 10x) under a variety of field conditions.

Rolling ball - not a problem. I do not notice it when panning unless I force myself to look for it. I guess that if this is the small price that you pay for lack of edge distortion then it is a bargain (IMO).

I'll skip all the theory and speak up as someone who has actually used them in the field. I spent all weekend birding. These are amazing binoculars and I'm very happy with them. Was the rolling globe effect noticeable? Only on one occasion. I was at a site where I had a clear view of the horizon. If I panned quickly, faster than what would be appropriate for birding, the effect was noticeable. If I panned more slowly or followed birds in flight, I did not notice the effect.

Thanks, that's excellent feedback and quite consistent with what one might expect (in theory ;)). See post #34, "... there are several dynamic visual sub-tasks involved in birding that probably should be differentiated, and which might or might not induce some form of disorientation, — possibly due to the globe effect."

So, in assessing these new binoculars it will come down to: (1) the viewing environment, (2) passive vs. active observer involvement, and (3) movement speeds. As you have done, we should make an effort to report these along with simply the presence or absence of the effect.

Ed

How do the 8x32 Nikon SE and 8x42 Ultravid BR fare in the "rolling ball" department? I thought I noticed it with my Ultravids one time when panning along a mountain ridge. I don't do a lot of panning along a horizon line so it isn't a big issue to me, but I did notice it that time.

John

Let me see... because...(see below ;) )

So post some pictures holding the binoculars, on the scale, in the bath tub...

Attachments

• thread_is_worthless.jpg
    thread_is_worthless.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 252
I don't see rolling ball with my 8x32 or 10x42 Nikon SE. In fact the only bin I see "distortion" on the way to rolling ball but not quite full on rolling ball is my Swift Eaglet 7x36.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back