• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swarovision EL (1 Viewer)

Good point about the eye cups. I'm beginning to find mine a little annoying. I prefer the midpoint, but find that after putting the rain guard on/off a few times it sometimes causes the eye cup to drop down onto the lowest setting. I might have to abandon the close fitting Swaro rain guard and go for something more general if I get fed up. The neck strap is marvellously sticky even to my slippy/shiny fleece jacket (unlike my Optec strap which rides up onto the neck). But why are the straps so long? They aren't designed accommodate being cut off and I find myself holding the bins and the strap simultaneously, which reduces the otherwise fantastic handling. Why anyone would want to waddle around with bins around their groin is beyond me. Otherwise still delighted!

Sancho originally wrote:
"I´d prefer if the eyecups had stops so I could set them a little further out from "full-in. Nothing a little blu-tack or duct-tape won´t sort out."

Mike replied:
"Its faults aside, the eyecups on the Zeiss FL has several intermediate detents, the first of which works well for me. "

My Zeiss FL's (7x42) have just a tad too long eye-relief to give me a black-out free view with the eyecups fully retracted. The next position out (4 mm less eye-relief) is a bit tight on eye-relief for me to comfortably see the full field.

I found some ca 2 mm thick O-rings to fit around the eyecup barrels, and they allow me to "tighten down" the eycups towards the collapsed position while they yet loose the required 2 mm e-r. Works beautifully, and is a bit less tacky than blue-tack (pun intended).

I'm sure something like that might work for the Swaro. Thinner O-rings can also be used, and stacked as necessary.

The cups on my Zeiss FL hold their position between detents very well--the only bin I have that I can say that about. Like Patrik, halfway between is where I need them.

Kind of odd that Swaro hadn't anticipated this considering that 20mm ER is a LOT.

Frankly, detents should come about every 2mm if you ask me. Fine tuning it really makes a difference.

I'm another one with pre=Lotutec FLs (does that make a difference I know they changed the eyecups?) and both 32mm and 42mm bins eyecups hold at all intermediate settings Same on the 8x30 Conquest I have.

A feature I rather like as I'm more myopic in my right eye and so need less ER in that eye (otherwise I get blackouts) so they get a couple of mm more eyecup. Once set no more problem.

I'm surprised more bin makers don't do this ... after all even my Yosemite eyecups do this (though not any of the other bins I own with some requiring aftermarket O-rings to deal with excessive ER).

Well, for the record I like my FL about 2mm below full up. I couldn't get to where I could deal with the rainguard without supplying some twist, so they wouldn't stay. I support them at the right height with, what else, genuine Nazi era shim stock.

But enough of this. Hail the new EL! Congratulations to the brave and lucky owners. Enjoy and keep the reports coming. Waiting for a resolution test here.
Ron

Waiting for my new EL 8,5x42 SWAROVISION i tried out a solution to hold my eyecups in 4mm position.

Here are some photos of my o-ring-trials (with the EL 32).
No real HiFi solution... but better than nothing... and works verry well :t:

I can't understand, that a premium bino of that extraordinary price, has no "proper" solution for spectacle-wearers :storm:

But "i'm in good hope", Swarovski will come out with a professional one in the next few months...
... and let us pay for it another 50 bucks ;)

Last edited:
I am very interested in the O-ring trick. It looks perfect for the 'pop up and fall back down' eye cups on my Swift HHS mk1 bins. One question though. What sort of place would be a good source for the O-rings? Are they used in the motor trade, plumbing or something else?

Ron

I would give it a try in a shop for oil-hydraulic accessory... maybe your car repair shop has a fitting pair?

When I used O-rings on a Pentax 8x42 WP, way back in 1999 as I recall, I took the bins into the plumbing section of the hardware store and fitted them directly.

I was a perfect solution and lasted 10 years till I sold them.

O-rings are available in the plumbing section of the hardware store since they are widely used in kitchen/bath faucets, or sometimes they're in the aisle with the little pull-out drawers of specialty (brass, nylon, aluminum) nuts, bolts, washers, bushings, knobs etc.

--AP

Thanks for all the information on O-rings. Some of our local retail parks have motor spares stores and hardware/DIY stores next to each other so I should be able to find something suitable there.

Ron

I am very interested in the O-ring trick. It looks perfect for the 'pop up and fall back down' eye cups on my Swift HHS mk1 bins. One question though. What sort of place would be a good source for the O-rings? Are they used in the motor trade, plumbing or something else?

In the past I've used an even cheaper (though less stylish) solution and put rubber bands roudn to hold eyecups in the desired position...

The problem with rubber bands is most are designed for a short life so the rubber oxidizes and the band goes "ping" at some point.

That said I have a rubber band holding up the rubber EP of my Nikon SE to reduce the ER by a couple of mm. Not pretty but it works.

The tape option is another one that has some merit too (and can be invisible!). Real gaffer tape that's designed not to leave slime on the bin is best.

test swarovision

I have been using the 2 swarovisons (8.5 and 10X) for 2 weeks now.
My wife , who wears spectacles , prefers the 8.5X and says this is the best bin she ever used concerning comfort.

What surprises us is the very bright and sharp impression.
No glare at all isalso a benefit!
Compared with 8X42 ultravid HD , in the evening ,the swarovision 8.5X42
was much brighter and I was more able to see details.

In the past the ultravid was my preferred bin , now the swarovision definitely is!
I own several ultravids , FL's , kowaprominar and nikon L.

Congratulations Swarovski!!

I have been using the 2 swarovisons (8.5 and 10X) for 2 weeks now.
My wife , who wears spectacles , prefers the 8.5X and says this is the best bin she ever used concerning comfort.

What surprises us is the very bright and sharp impression.
No glare at all isalso a benefit!
Compared with 8X42 ultravid HD , in the evening ,the swarovision 8.5X42
was much brighter and I was more able to see details.

In the past the ultravid was my preferred bin , now the swarovision definitely is!
I own several ultravids , FL's , kowaprominar and nikon L.

Congratulations Swarovski!!

it must be nice to have the 8.5 and 10x42 swarovision !! , not to mention your other alpha's .

how long does it take you to make your mind up which one to take when your going out :-O

in the previous posts its been mentioned about the eyecups .

will swarovski be bringing out the Winged eyecups for the swarovision you think ?:h?:

Thanks for all the information on O-rings. Some of our local retail parks have motor spares stores and hardware/DIY stores next to each other so I should be able to find something suitable there.

Ron

I bought a couple of packs of mixed size ones from the plumbing section of B&Q for my Sporters - about £2.50 each I think. I did use rubber bands as mentioned my postcardcv - which worked just as well, but vanity got the better of me!

Perry

The problem with rubber bands is most are designed for a short life so the rubber oxidizes and the band goes "ping" at some point.

Rubber bands (esp the broccoli type) are also useful for keeping the diopter setting fixed on bins with oculars that twist to set but which are too easy to turn. A bit of Armor all will help them last much longer than they do otherwise.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back