• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The new SV 8x32 Field Pro match or surpasses the Habicht porro 8X30 in the appare (1 Viewer)

binomaniac

Romania
A couple years ago i had have the chance to compare the SV 8X32 first model not the Field Pro with Habicht porro 8x30 2013 model. The impression of the apparent resolution was a little bit in favor of the Habicht ,not by much but was there at least for my eyes. In the same period of the time i had read on the forum another people opinion who came to the same conclusion . I wonder if someone has had the chances to see both together and if The new SV 8x32 Field Pro match or surpasses the Habicht porro 8X30 in the apparent resolution department. Sory for my strange english !

Sory, the title of the thread was :The new SV 8x32 Field Pro match or surpasses the Habicht porro 8X30 in the apparent resolution department. I Don't know what happened.

As far as I know the FP is the same as the model before it with standard strap lugs. Optically they should be the same.

A couple years ago i had have the chance to compare the SV 8X32 first model not the Field Pro with Habicht porro 8x30 2013 model. The impression of the apparent resolution was a little bit in favor of the Habicht ,not by much but was there at least for my eyes. In the same period of the time i had read on the forum another people opinion who came to the same conclusion . I wonder if someone has had the chances to see both together and if The new SV 8x32 Field Pro match or surpasses the Habicht porro 8X30 in the apparent resolution department. Sory for my strange english !
I have compared a new Field Pro SV 8x32 to a Habicht 8x30W and I still think the Habicht has a slight edge in resolution on-axis. Of course the SV has sharper edges but the Habicht has the advantage of better 3D and better light transmission. It is hard to beat a simple high quality porro when it comes to resolution IMO. Simpler prism design, no phase coating to worry about and no CA problems to reduce the resolution. They are easier to make perfect.

Last edited:

This guy - Tobias Mennle - has spent lots of time and effort with the Habicht, more than anybody else I know:
http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/a...vski/swarohabicht8x30w/swarohabicht8x30w.html

Canip

I wonder how your new kowa 6,5 x32 perform in terms of the perceived resolution -contrast against the Habicht 8x30 and if he deal better with the glare .

The Habicht 8x30w is the one Swarovski that I'm currently interested in. Sounds like there's a lot to like but I can't stand glare and the focus sounds a bit slow/stiff which would be a major flaw for me, particularly the glare.

Thank you Pinac , when i said : i had read on the forum other people opinion who came to the same conclusion , i referred especially to Tobias.

The Kowa has really good on-axis resolution probably as good as any roof prism I have seen including the SV. I think the Habicht though is a little sharper than any roof prism on-axis IMO. I remember Rathaus from Australia would talk about how he could see spider webs with the Habicht because of their very high resolution and he is correct in many ways. The 8x30W Habicht has some glare but the 10x40 and 7x42 really do not. I don't think the Habicht 8x30 W is much worse with glare than the 8x32 SV. The Habicht does have a tight focus wheel but at least it doesn't have any play like some of the MIC roof's and you get used to it. The Habicht does have some quirks but you have to put up with them to get the superb performance of the porro optics. It is kind of like driving a Mclaren without power steering.

Thank you very much Dennis, this is the fabulous news for me because i want a low power binoculars due to the problem with my hand stability ,but i don t find one to achieve the optics qualities i had have in my best 8x binoculars. This Kowa appear to be the answers .

............... It is kind of like driving a Mclaren without power steering.

While not having any pertinent experience regarding the McLaren, I still think this would make the Habicht very unattractive for me.

Another reason is the fact that they still come without eyecups that can be lowered for those who need to use their glasses.

Last edited:
I have compared a new Field Pro SV 8x32 to a Habicht 8x30W and I still think the Habicht has a slight edge in resolution on-axis. Of course the SV has sharper edges but the Habicht has the advantage of better 3D and better light transmission. It is hard to beat a simple high quality porro when it comes to resolution IMO. Simpler prism design, no phase coating to worry about and no CA problems to reduce the resolution. They are easier to make perfect.

I think you are right. I tried a Habicht several years ago. Yes, eye relief is short with such a small eye lens. But I remember the image was so brilliant and sharp. And here we have an example of that everything has its price: advanced eyepieces with wide field, long eye relief and sharpness to the edges have more lenses. Which comes on the expense of brightness and contrast. And regarding porro prism models there are several examples of models rivalling several times more expensive roofs. I have had a Leupold yosemite 6x30. Super sharp on-axis, I perceived it was even sharper than Swarovski SLC 7X42B. I consider to get it again. Or a Kowa yf 6x30, think these are the same glasses in different covers. And if eye relief wasn't an issue I would probably get a Habicht.

Last edited:
I agree with you. I had the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 and it is amazing how sharp on-axis it is for a $100.00 binocular. A perfect example of how a porro prism can be made for low cost because of it's simplicity yet outperform a more complex roof costing many times more.

Last edited:
……... I have had a Leupold yosemite 6x30. Super sharp on-axis, I perceived it was even sharper than Swarovski SLC 7X42B. I consider to get it again. Or a Kowa yf 6x30, think these are the same glasses in different covers. ……....

If you had the Greenring Yosemite, it is no longer available. But definitely an extremely good value. Don't know about the BX-1 that Leupold has now. It also comes with a Yosemite name attached.

The Kowa YF and others of the same construction are decent substitutes at least. All also claimed to be waterproof.

If you had the Greenring Yosemite, it is no longer available. But definitely an extremely good value. Don't know about the BX-1 that Leupold has now. It also comes with a Yosemite name attached.

The Kowa YF and others of the same construction are decent substitutes at least. All also claimed to be waterproof.

I have had the Yosemite models for some time. The 6x30 seems to be the
best of them. The 8x30 is not as good. Also the Kowa, I had one, similar just a clone, I sold that one to my neighbor.

The change they made was not much, just a different factory perhaps, different armor. I find both optically the same.

These simple porros are very good.

We are off topic, so now about the Swarovski models, I have both the
SV 8x32 and the Habicht 8x30.

No question, the SV 32 is the better binocular in many ways, I have found it to be the best ergonomic handling binocular I have ever used.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back