• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The sound of my new SLC focus.. (audio attachment) (1 Viewer)

The Kingfisher

I have attached a file where you can listen to how the focus on my new SLC 8x42 sounds - creaky! Additionally choppy as you also notice in the recording..

My bino have been in Austria since it had taken in water..and then would Swarovski also correct the problems with focusing. Do not think they did so well if it was true that they tried! Or what do you think?

Do you think the focus will get better with time? I doubt a bit..

Attachments

• 003_C_072_Jonas Persson_131115_001_2013_11_15.mp3
    666 KB · Views: 352
I have attached a file where you can listen to how the focus on my new SLC 8x42 sounds - creaky! Additionally choppy as you also notice in the recording.........

Thank you for posting the audio file--it is most interesting. It is of course a cause of concern, however: a) I am not sure that you would be able to hear this noise in the field as it will mix with the sounds of wind, movement...etc, b) your file may not be different than any other "isolated" audio file I may produce for the focus noise from the binoculars I have (Zeiss FLs, Lecia Trinovids). All (particularly the Zeiss) produce some type of noise similar to yours (i.e., some scratchings), although work very well.

I assume that focusing works accurately despite of this noise (it is a Swarovski, and it should). If not, I would return it back for service. Further, this is a brand new pair of binoculars from a very reputable manufacturer to which you paid its full price. They (Swarovski) did not compromise in the price, and neither should you compromise in receiving the service you expect from the product. So even if it works well, but produces a sound that you do not like, ask for another pair.

Enjoy in good health.

Sounds like a duck... :eek!:

VOP

You must have strange ducks near Uppsala although I could know the reason why.

Uppsala is only just to the west of the E4 and even this Englishman knows that to the east of the E4 is a strange world of high salaries and bizarre happenings.
Perhaps, VOP, you live to the east of the E4 where even the ducks are strange.

Anyway the noises from the Swaro focuser do not sound like 'fire in the roof' job.

Lee

I doubt I could hear that in person. I think that is just you pulling your zipper up and down.:-O All joking aside, I am hard of hearing. I did try an experiment with my son[20yrs.] and out of quite a few of my binoculars [including Swaro 8x30SLC neu]and an on loan [10x35EII] the loudest was a Fujinon 12x60 HB that my son said sounded similar to what the Swarovski 8x42 sounded like.

Last edited:
I have attached a file where you can listen to how the focus on my new SLC 8x42 sounds - creaky! Additionally choppy as you also notice in the recording..

My bino have been in Austria since it had taken in water..and then would Swarovski also correct the problems with focusing. Do not think they did so well if it was true that they tried! Or what do you think?

Do you eat beans in Sweden? Send that noisy thing in to Swarovski and get a new one or get it fixed.

Last edited:
You could have put up a million dollars in a "guess this sound" contest and felt safe that no one would claim the prize.

I would *not* be happy with that if it's anywhere near as audible under use. These were the SLC's you just got back from servicing for the fogging issue? I think I'd be demanding a new pair considering how much these cost.

Thank you for posting the audio file--it is most interesting. It is of course a cause of concern, however: a) I am not sure that you would be able to hear this noise in the field as it will mix with the sounds of wind, movement...etc, b) your file may not be different than any other "isolated" audio file I may produce for the focus noise from the binoculars I have (Zeiss FLs, Lecia Trinovids). All (particularly the Zeiss) produce some type of noise similar to yours (i.e., some scratchings), although work very well.

Thank you all for your funny answers.. |:d|

It´s correct - the noise is not so disturbing out in the field. The microphone in my dictaphone is very sensitive. But still, it should not have to creak so much when focusing. And above all, should focus not need to be so choppy.. because that makes it harder to fine tune.

I made a new recording of the SLC when focusing slowly. Compare that to how the focus on the Nikon EDG sounds..|^|

Attachments

• Fokuseringsljud från Swarovski SLC.mp3
    622 KB · Views: 131
  • Fokuseringsljud från Nikon EDG.mp3
    504 KB · Views: 127
Those noises are sure troubling, back when I was in Junior High School, I had a classmate, who could make that same type of noise.
He had to go to the principals office. ;)

This is highly unusual, and I would send them back for another fix.

Jerry

Thank you all for your funny answers.. |:d|

It´s correct - the noise is not so disturbing out in the field. The microphone in my dictaphone is very sensitive. But still, it should not have to creak so much when focusing. And above all, should focus not need to be so choppy.. because that makes it harder to fine tune.

I made a new recording of the SLC when focusing slowly. Compare that to how the focus on the Nikon EDG sounds..|^|

Hej Kingfisher

Could you explain what you mean by choppy?
Do you mean it is easy for a little distance and then suddenly harder (and repeats this cycle)?

Lee

Bin's doctor advice

Jonas,

this might happen if you manage to watch caraway seeds with these bins for about half of an hour on a daily basis until the medical condition will start to diminish.

Sorry, i couldn't resist. :) I've seen (heard) some binoculars where the rubber armoring was rubbing against the focus wheel.

Steve

Last edited:
Sounds like my cat passing gas. :cat:

Could be air getting squeezed out of the grease between the focuser and the shaft, but hopefully not a leak from inside.

As to the "choppy" focuser, well, it's a Swarovski, that's how they make them. Owners describe it differently - coarse, stiff, harder to turn in one direction - and we can now add "choppy" to the list of descriptors. Some people get bugged by it, others don't.

The most popular culprit for these fouser issues seems to be the one-way spring in the focuser mechanism. Not sure how they make the fix since that's a standard part that I doubt very much they replace upon servicing, otherwise, they'd redesign them that way, but some people have sent their samples for repairs and gotten them back improved if not completely cured.

For $2K, you should get a smooth turning focuser. I recommend sending it Swaro for repairs or a better sample, and that might also stop the farting noises.

<B>

Last edited:
I find this thread very amusing although somewhat distressing. That sound is exactly what I heard when I first took my 8x SLC HD out of the box. After a first few days of use the squeaky sound disappeared altogether and the tactile sensation became very smooth. Overall, I find it a magnificent focuser with just enough stiction to stay put, but never putting up turn resistance.

Have faith and a little patience. Take a little joy in your new toy. :smoke:

Ed

I find this thread very amusing although somewhat distressing. That sound is exactly what I heard when I first took my 8x SLC HD out of the box. After a first few days of use the squeaky sound disappeared altogether and the tactile sensation became very smooth. Overall, I find it a magnificent focuser with just enough stiction to stay put, but never putting up turn resistance.

Have faith and a little patience. Take a little joy in your new toy. :smoke:

Ed

What I find distressing is that you sat back being amused while reading this thread and waited for 14 posts to share your experience with the OPer!

Hopefully, his experience will match yours and both issues will resolve themselves. As you know, if you've been carefully reading the many reports about Swaro focuser issues on BF over the years, they usually do not resolve by themselves, particularly with the ELs, where even after being sent in for repairs, the focuser might still be stiff, coarse, or harder to turn in one direction, though perhaps not as bad as before, and sometimes the issue is resolved to the owner's satisfaction.

My own take on all this has been that since Swaro started serving hunters and still does most of its business with hunters, it never addressed the issue because there were few complaints and few returns.

But now that more and more birders are buying Swaros, it's time to consider what birders find desirable, your smooth turning, non-farting SLC-HD aside. ;)

As surely as night follows day, here he comes again..... Didn't want Ed to join the deniers club, but gave him the benefit of the doubt and deleted that last sentence, but apparently not soon enough!

<B>

Last edited:
Well, some are more musical than others. Mr. Bowie had once found that there could be a relationship between sound and vision. Percussion part was already covered so here we have another section - let's say the horn section. For a complete band there has to be somebody playing the piano or guitar. What was the sound of that spring load again?

Well, right now I have 4 Swarovskis. Two SLCs and two CLs and I haven't heard a sound from any of them and have no trouble focusing them and I am very happy with them!

Here is the question. My wife has been suggesting that I get a hearing aid. If I do and as a result start hearing sounds coming from the focusers should I send them all back to Swarovski?

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back