• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SF 8x32 v NL Pure 8x42 (1 Viewer)

Apples and bowling balls, yes I know. But I'm just curious as August is coming up, these 2 binos will be released around this time, what are you guys getting? Both perhaps?

I'm not sure myself. I just started getting into birding. I have a 10x42 IS, but I've decided that I will only use it for astronomy.

I know they're different binos completely, thus it will probably be all down to 32 vs 42... But if you were just say shopping for a new bino, which would you go for first?

Perhaps not apples and oranges, since size is so close. I'd say a 50% cost delta might be a stronger consideration for many, but curious what people have to say as well.

Apologies for what may seem like a rude question.... but if you're "just started getting into birding", why are you only considering the two newest, most expensive models that haven't even hit the market? You don't even know what you like or need yet.

There are any number of other time tested, outstanding options currently on the market which will cost far less, so if you change your mind on what you prefer you're not in for as much.

Sounds like you have a decent budget and high-end taste, so grab a used or discount alpha or two and get a feel for the 8x32 vs 8x42 formats and figure out what YOU like to use. Or buy a couple of options from a good retailer who allows easy returns.

Binoculars are very much personal taste. Dabble around and figure out what you like, THEN if you feel like you really need the best of the best, you can splurge on a specific model that meets YOUR needs.

Apologies for what may seem like a rude question.... but if you're "just started getting into birding", why are you only considering the two newest, most expensive models that haven't even hit the market? You don't even know what you like or need yet.

There are any number of other time tested, outstanding options currently on the market which will cost far less, so if you change your mind on what you prefer you're not in for as much.

Sounds like you have a decent budget and high-end taste, so grab a used or discount alpha or two and get a feel for the 8x32 vs 8x42 formats and figure out what YOU like to use. Or buy a couple of options from a good retailer who allows easy returns.

Binoculars are very much personal taste. Dabble around and figure out what you like, THEN if you feel like you really need the best of the best, you can splurge on a specific model that meets YOUR needs.
Because usually the newest has the best to offer, and I've decided that if I'm going to spend "x" amount, why not look into the item that has the latest advancement? I want a big FOV, and from what I gather these two offerings have the biggest FOV in their respective segment.

No offense taken, mind you. But I apologies to you however, you're the one who seems offended by the query :)

Because usually the newest has the best to offer, and I've decided that if I'm going to spend "x" amount, why not look into the item that has the latest advancement? I want a big FOV, and from what I gather these two offerings have the biggest FOV in their respective segment.

No offense taken, mind you. But I apologies to you however, you're the one who seems offended by the query :)

Why not keep using the 10x42 IS?

What are you looking to gain?

Apples and bowling balls, yes I know. But I'm just curious as August is coming up, these 2 binos will be released around this time, what are you guys getting? Both perhaps?

I'm not sure myself. I just started getting into birding. I have a 10x42 IS, but I've decided that I will only use it for astronomy.

I know they're different binos completely, thus it will probably be all down to 32 vs 42... But if you were just say shopping for a new bino, which would you go for first?

If you research the many threads you should end up realising that it is such a personal preference and their are many many different facets involved. Some with a decent amount of disposable income may purchase both, some may upgrade and many will wish for either whilst others will stick with what they have. Brand loyalty or smugness even. Therefore an unusual question to be considering right now for me. Perhaps in a couple of years time we may have gained enough experience with both models and perhaps even a 8 x 32 NL. Like you say, you dont even know yet, until you've tested them.

You're probably in a better position being new to birding and looking for your first " alpha " unit.

Just enjoy whatever you choose.

But I apologies to you however, you're the one who seems offended by the query :)

I'm not "offended by the query", I'm simply asking a probative question in return to make sure you've thought through your needs and priorities to try and help you make a better decision.

Sometimes when people enter a new hobby and decide to splurge on gear, they buy something that isn't a good match for their uses.

"Because usually the newest has the best to offer." That is true ... sometimes. Today's xyz binocular may very well be 1952's abc binocular with changes is cosmetics, AR coatings and price. This is especially true in Porros. Broad statements gather validity with experience. There are many more things to know than can be gathered in less than a month on a bino forum.

Pat had it right; Just enjoy whatever you choose. And Eitan is steering you correctly. :cat:

Bill

I had to choose between the Zeiss 8x32 SF and the Swarovski NL 8x42 for my new binocular. I pre-ordered the Swarovski NL 8x42 because of the much larger FOV and I know it will have sharper edges than the Zeiss SF because Swarovski's usually do, and I am trusting the initial reviews. I also like the positive comments on micro-contrast, on -axis resolution, glare control and CA control. I feel the NL will have superior ergonomics with the tapered molded optical tubes and I like the position of the focuser. The focuser sounds like it has been upgraded also with all the comments about how smooth it is. It also sounds like the head rest will help significantly with steadying the binocular. In my experience Swarovski has better resale and better service in the long run than Zeiss. In my opinion I think the NL could be one of the best binoculars ever made but time will tell once more people have used it. It will be interesting to see how long the waiting list will be on the NL's if you don't pre-order. Maybe a year?

Last edited:
There seems to be no reason to decide on which binocular at this time. Early on these often have problems
and changes are made. Both Swaro. and Zeiss are famous for that.
Also, how would you know how they perform ?
Have patience.

Jerry

I pre-ordered the Swarovski NL 8x42 because of the much larger FO

I like the position of the focuser.
159m vs 155m "much larger" ?, If I were choosing it would be the 240g weight increase that was a factor here.

Then one must like the position of the SF focuser.

I don`t see how anybody could proclaim either one as superior to the other without ever having handled or looked through either.

And I may have missed it but have Jan or any others posting about the NL compared the two side by side ?

159m vs 155m "much larger" ?, If I were choosing it would be the 240g weight increase that was a factor here.

Then one must like the position of the SF focuser.

I don`t see how anybody could proclaim either one as superior to the other without ever having handled or looked through either.

And I may have missed it but have Jan or any others posting about the NL compared the two side by side ?
In my experience 10 feet (3.05 m) bigger is noticeable in the FOV and I know from reading the initial reviews and having considerable experience with Zeiss and Swarovski that the NL will have sharper edges than the SF and that is all I need to know because I much prefer sharp edges. I like the Swarovski SV's better than the Zeiss SF's, so I know I am going to like the new NL better than the new SF without even trying them. I don't need a side to side. That is why I preordered the Swarovski NL instead of the Zeiss SF. I am NOT saying the NL is superior to the SF for everybody. I am saying I prefer it based on experience and specifications. As far as the weight advantage of the 8x32 SF I will wait until Swarovski comes out with the NL 8x32 if I decide I want a 32 mm. It will probably have a 520 foot FOV WITH sharp edges.;)

Last edited:
In my experience 10 feet (3.05 m) bigger is noticeable in the FOV

not always. The law of diminishing returns:
you won't notice a wider FOV by 10 feet as much in a wide view as in a narrow view.
And ofcourse the 8x42 will be better. It has a better starting point (exit pupil-wise and light-gathering-wise), the apples to bowling balls play a role here.

They're both going to be effectively, pretty much the same optically.

Your biggest choice will be 32mm vs 42mm, which should offer a little easier eye placement/ alignment for the larger bin - but you won't know for sure without actually trying the units for yourself, to see how they work with your eyes/noggin. You also need to consider whether you want 8x, or 10x - or both ! - or all four !! Ultimately how easy they are for you to look through, and how much you like the view, will sway you more than most other aspects.

What may make a difference is the weight of the 32mm at ~600grams vs the 42mm at ~850 grams.

I would suggest getting a look through/trial/rent of both sizes to see which one gels with you.

In 32mm try the Swarovski SV in 8 or 10x, preferably both.

In 42mm try the Zeiss SF in 8 or 10x, preferably both.

The ergonomics of both the 32SF and the 42NL will be similar enough to the 42SF that you could pretty much go by how that feels for balance. Obviously the sizes are going to feel quite different. You might also want to get your hands on some Swarovski x42mm SV's and/or Leica x42mm NoctiVids, to see how carrying ~850grams around grabs you.

This should tell you if you have a clear preference for one size and/or format, or whether you need to contemplate multiple bins in your future. :eek!: :eat:

I think that's the guts of what you need to consider/ try, before buying - most everything else written about bins not here yet (and a fair chunk of what is written after they get here ! :) will be BB stacking ....... :cat:

Chosun :gh:

In my experience 10 feet (3.05 m) bigger is noticeable in the FOV and I know from reading the initial reviews and having considerable experience with Zeiss and Swarovski that the NL will have sharper edges than the SF and that is all I need to know because I much prefer sharp edges. I like the Swarovski SV's better than the Zeiss SF's, so I know I am going to like the new NL better than the new SF without even trying them. I don't need a side to side. That is why I preordered the Swarovski NL instead of the Zeiss SF. I am NOT saying the NL is superior to the SF for everybody. I am saying I prefer it based on experience and specifications. As far as the weight advantage of the 8x32 SF I will wait until Swarovski comes out with the NL 8x32 if I decide I want a 32 mm. It will probably have a 520 foot FOV WITH sharp edges.;)

I think you should insert "believe" where you have written "know".

not always. The law of diminishing returns:
you won't notice a wider FOV by 10 feet as much in a wide view as in a narrow view.
And ofcourse the 8x42 will be better. It has a better starting point (exit pupil-wise and light-gathering-wise), the apples to bowling balls play a role here.
"not always. The law of diminishing returns:
you won't notice a wider FOV by 10 feet as much in a wide view as in a narrow view."

That may be true for you but I ALWAYS notice even a 10 foot difference in FOV and it doesn't matter how wide the FOV is and it is significant especially when you have sharper edges on top of the bigger FOV.

I think you should insert "believe" where you have written "know".
I will change it to there is a 99% probability that I will prefer the NL over the SF based on reviews and experience. I might try the Zeiss 8x32 SF in the interim before the new NL 8x32 comes out and then I will let you know for sure. It will be very interesting to see some side by side reviews of the new NL and the SF though once they are both out on the market awhile.

Last edited:
Love it when opinions are presented as facts, when the person giving the opinions has never seen the product in person. That takes talent.

That may be true for you but I ALWAYS notice even a 10 foot difference in FOV and it doesn't matter how wide the FOV is and it is significant especially when you have sharper edges on top of the bigger FOV.

'Always'...? Perhaps it is just me but I am spend my viewing pleasure looking at the bird in the sweet spot as opposed to 'whatever is on the very edges'.

'Always'...? Perhaps it is just me but I am spend my viewing pleasure looking at the bird in the sweet spot as opposed to 'whatever is on the very edges'.
Yes, but as many have said the big FOV makes it a lot easier to FIND the bird. If you like a narrow FOV get a Swarovski Habicht 7x42. Nice resolution on-axis but a really narrow FOV.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back