• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 NL Pures vs SF 8x32 (1 Viewer)

hgalbraith1949

United States
Hi all, I am wrestling with decisions about whether to buy a pair of NL Pure 8x32 vs Zeiss SF 8x32. I need something lighter than the 8x42 SFs that I already have. These will be used for birding in woodland, lakes and marshes. Which would y'all recommend?

It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the differences and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

Hi all, I am wrestling with decisions about whether to buy a pair of NL Pure 8x32 vs Zeiss SF 8x32. I need something lighter than the 8x42 SFs that I already have. These will be used for birding in woodland, lakes and marshes. Which would y'all recommend?
I’ve tried NL, and own the EL and SF to name a few. The NL’s probably the best. I already had the EL, SF when I tried the NL, it wasn’t enough to make me change from the EL. But if I was buying from the beginning, I probably would go with the NL. If you’re looking for something lighter, then it’s the SF or an EL.

I could recommend a few excellent retailers I’ve been doing business with for years, PM me.

A word of advice, be very weary of solicitors.

I would strongly recommend whichever one you prefer after trying and comparing them.

I'll be honest...I have them both. I'd see if you can't go somewhere and try the SF FIRST. If you like it and it works for you, get it. On paper, it's the better binocular. It's slightly lighter and has slightly more FOV. Personally, I like the NL better. I think it's a little more user-friendly with eye placement and of course has the edge to edge sharpness Swarovski is known for.

9389ED43-783F-46A7-A376-7864490F1041.jpeg

I'll be honest...I have them both. I'd see if you can't go somewhere and try the SF FIRST. If you like it and it works for you, get it. On paper, it's the better binocular. It's slightly lighter and has slightly more FOV. Personally, I like the NL better. I think it's a little more user-friendly with eye placement and of course has the edge to edge sharpness Swarovski is known for.

9389ED43-783F-46A7-A376-7864490F1041.jpeg
And more compact, but slightly heavier, not noticeable though.

Both are tremendous and personal preference will be more meaningful than internet opinions.

Personally I prefer the SF for greater glare control, better ergonomics, and regular strap lugs. The actual view through the NL is perhaps a hair better but it’s truly splitting hairs between these two.

Last edited:
I'll second the Zeiss for glare control, it's hard to split the two but that is one area where Zeiss trumps the NL, focus wheel is another for me.
I do prefer Zeiss colours also but the view through the NL has given moments of utter satisfaction like no other, a hard call.

I shopped these 2 for a year. Visited 6 different dealers, to spread out the load of my arguably manic process. Bought the NL. Used it exclusively for 4 months, now 8 months in. YMMV, as we each bring different preferences to the thing.

I discovered a slight magnification benefit to the NL. I preferred that. No one else will mention it. Optical quality was essentially equal. The wider FOV is a thing for some, though at birding distances say 100 yards, we're talking 1.2' in favor of the SF (462-450/10). AFOV is essentially equal. On paper the weight difference is an inconsequential, 1.6 oz, (NL heavier). Size again listed, has the NL .3" shorter. There's something else going on the paper specs don't cover, though. Picking the NL and SF up off the table, the weight difference was more noticeable than the 1.6oz inferred. However tipping the binos to horizontal as they approach the eyes and noticing how they feel in that position, the touted rear balance benefit of the SF disappeared. Zeiss accomplishes rear balance via redistributing mass towards the eyes. Swarovski, which never mentions it in their literature, accomplishes the same effect via messing with the tubes. As I recall, (may be nuts) there was something to do with where the hands end up once in viewing position that offset the Zeiss claim. For me size is more important than weight, and there is something beyond just length at work. It has to be the wasp waist thing. To my mind and after 8 months, the feel of NL is the thing I like most about it. Its there all the time. With scope, walking with tripod on one shoulder, one handing the NLs is a joy.

My NL832 does have glare. Dont know about the SF. Though Im not sure some of the explanations you'll read hear explain its origins. PO'd about that, I contacted SwaroNA, and had a bit of an exchange. Ultimately I took their advice and just went birding for awhile (that 4 months above). The idea was to stop looking for it, go bird as normal, where normal and see how bad a thing it is. I learned eye position is more fussy than my EL1042s, but eventually its fine. We humans can adapt. Getting IPD, and eye cup height correct took a bit, exacerbated by 2 Cataract surgeries in the middle of all this. I also had to learn my old man posture wasnt helping and needed to straighten my head. No one talks about this either. Essentially seems somehow stray light off my face was messing with things.

Re pbjosh' comment on strap lugs. Its no big deal. Go here: How to Avoid Twisting Those Blasted Field Pro Connectors

and here, (see #12) Nl pure

The larger AFOV of the NL (and SFs) is noticeable as compared with 1042s and a plus as it aides in being able to see whats what with the wider actual FOV seen through 2 X less mag.

I added a 8x32sf to my 8x42sf earlier this year, if you like your 42 then the 32 is pretty much a smaller lighter version with only a minor drop in the image IMO, not quite as good with stray light as the 42.

Haven`t had much time with the nl so nothing relevant to write from me.

Definitely try both -I'm not an SF fan, but it's very much personal taste. If you can find good condition ELs I'd recommend trying them to - there's not much other than a bit more FoV separating the ELs from the NLs (which may or may not be a big consideration for you).

Hello,

I am very happy with my SF8x32 but I have had no experience with the NL. Trying both will be far more instructive than looking at specifications or the opinions posted online. There are considerations and preferences which may be revealed only with hands on experience.

Stay safe,
Arthur Pinewood

Was thinking about this a bit. Not to be contrarian but of course one should go try. Do we have to say this? I came here as part of my obsessive “shopping” process. I made excel spreadsheets. Then I went shopping, visiting those stores described above. I get we each have our own process, but trying them out seems… we’ll, obvious, doesn’t it?

Many thanks for all your comments folks. One thing that no one has opined on, though, is the expediency and quality of after sales service. I have owned quite a few Swaros over the years and one reason for repeat buying is the service at the Rhode Island Swaro service center. How does Zeiss compare?

Many thanks for all your comments folks. One thing that no one has opined on, though, is the expediency and quality of after sales service. I have owned quite a few Swaros over the years and one reason for repeat buying is the service at the Rhode Island Swaro service center. How does Zeiss compare?
Like you Ive been treated exceptionally we'll by SwaroNA. Recently I sent a Zeiss VP825 back I thought for service to tighten the central hinge. 12 days later I received a brand new replacement.

6 o 0ne?

I've got the 8x42 SF's as well, I liked them better than the Swarovskis so I would take the 8x32SF. When I checked them out I saw less edge distortion in the 8x32 SF than the 8x42's, I loved them. The difficult eye placement is my only complaint about the SF's, I'd probably trial them again to make sure it's OK in the 32's. Not sure if the Swaros are any better in that dept. It might be fun to have a NL in 32 and the SF in 42 just for variety.

Having the 42mm SF's, I might be tempted to go something smaller and lighter, like maybe a 16-ounce Nikon MHG 8x30. The two 8x SF's are pretty close in size and weight....and price.

PS, I recently dealt with Zeiss USA for service and everything went well. It's easy to call and get someone talking on the phone, with Swaro I was never able to actually talk to a person.

Last edited:
The difficult eye placement is my only complaint about the SF's, I'd probably trial them again to make sure it's OK in the 32's.
Eye placement in the SF 8X32 was a nuisance after my EL SV 10x42, until I realized that I was sticking them too deeply into my eye sockets, and going inside the exit pupil.

Not sure this will help you,but it made a big difference to me.

Last edited:
Re pbjosh' comment on strap lugs. Its no big deal. Go here: How to Avoid Twisting Those Blasted Field Pro Connectors

and here, (see #12) Nl pure

I don’t want to rehash too much but your continued insistence it’s not an issue is perfectly fine. For you and others who use the bins a certain way. But not for all. The FP system is far more annoying than simple lugs and I’m not the only birder I know with this opinion. It’s not the end of the world but it’s a genuine if minor annoyance for many of us :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back