• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bean Goose: Tundra or Taiga? East Yorkshire. UK. Nov 2011 (1 Viewer)

garydayes

This bird has been present on and around North Cave Wetlands for the past couple of days, any views on racial ID?

Attachments

• beangoose222ncw25-11-11.jpg
    beangoose222ncw25-11-11.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 309
  • beangoose55ncw25-11-11.jpg
    beangoose55ncw25-11-11.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 385
Lots of debate on this bird at the reserve today with several respected observers still adamant that it is a tundra. Bill shape being area of contention. Bird not seen today only a small amount of the goose flock present which included a pinkfoot and juv whitefront but no bean. Any more views?

Looks good for a Taiga, based on large wedge-shaped head, long-neck, large bill.
Is it big and bulky?

cheers,
Jono

I thought it looked big. Much bigger than a Pinkfoot in same flock - I thought it was approaching Greylag size, with which it was associating. But as I say others who have seen photo think it is tundra

Last edited:
Looking at these photos, I am puzzled as to why anyone would think it is Tundra. What are their reasons for this?

Brett
Thanks Brett
They expressed concern that the bill was not heavy enough - to be fair everyone who has declared an opinion on here has gone for Taiga. I think that part of the problem is that you would expect it to be a Tundra at this location.

Here's another photo of the bird giving a size comparrison with nearby Greylag.
Personally from watching the bird in the field and then looking at the photos and reading the Birding World artical in Volume 23 Number 3. Plate 1 on page 110 shows a bird that looks almost identical to the North Cave Wetlands bird and can't see any reason why our bird Isn't a Taiga.

Attachments

• beangoose111.jpg
    beangoose111.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 154
I know tundra can show features similar to taiga, but, with the combination of such a

long neck,
the extent of orange on the bill
and the size of the bird,

I really cannot see how one could even think of tundra

Last edited:
Bill length and amount of orange are not diagnostic features, as some male Tundras can have bills this length. Some Tundras can also show a slightly concave culmen, and some can look longer necked than others. So the onus is, I think, "prove it is not a Tundra", by far the commoner goose wintering in Holland and visiting Yorkshire.

Thw blown up photo in the hide seemd to exaggerate the size of the grinning patch, which I think is diagnostic, and one of the photos seemed to show a bit of a "step" between the culmen and the forehead.

From the photos here, the large size alongside Greylag, the obviously long neck, the
apparently longer narrower grinning patch, the reduced black on the nail, the flat chin, lacking the jowl often shown by Tundra, all point to Taiga, and then the amount of orange just tends support the ID

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back