• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help me pick, one out of four (1 Viewer)

sasi_yaad

Hi,
Need to choose a second bin (for other family members).
Unfortunately I can't just go and try them ,as they are not available to try over here, so I'll need to choose and order online.
Apples and oranges ,but this is my short list.

1. Docter 8x42 roof
2. Zeiss conquest 8x30
3. Bushnell discoverer 7x42 roof
4. Nikon monarch 8x42

From previous posts on those bins, they all have good resolution (for mid priced bins) .
The Docter and the Bushnell are heavy (above 800g) but have very good FOV
especialy the Bushnell.
The Nikon and the Zeiss have nerrow FOV (especialy the Nikon) but are very lite (500g for the zeiss).
Would be nice to here someone that have tried or even compared some of the listed bins against each other.
I'm not bothered by CA ,I think that their resolution is roughly equal (am I wrong?) so next important feature is nice view and ease of view.
I don't know how to rate them regarding brightness.

How would you rate those bins in a one to four list.

Sassi

I can compare two out of the four: the Conquest and the Monarch. I have looked through the 7x42 Discoverers but they did not leave enough of an impression for me to comment on. The only things that I vaguely remember are a relatively bright, wide field with some noticeable distortion around a good portion of the edge of the image.

In terms of pure optical quality I don't really think you would be disappointed with either the Nikon or the Zeiss. Center field resolution on both the Conquest and Monarch is very respectable but I would have to give a slight edge to the Zeiss. Alternately, I believe they have the same amount of distortion around the edge of the field. Color representation is very good in both models in my opinion. Brightness may be another issue though as I think the Monarchs were just a tad brighter. The larger objective is probably the culprit in my opinion though the Zeiss lens coating does an outstanding job of making the 30 mm Conquest very comparable. Contrast is top notch for this price range though it does fall a bit short of the $1000 models. Probably the largest determining factor separating the two in terms of optical quality is the field of view. Though only a difference of 30 feet I have come to believe that we all have a threshold when we begin to notice a wider than average view. I am able to notice this when comparing any of the 6.3 degree glasses with a 7 degree glass. The Monarch's view is in no way restricting to me personally but I am able to see the difference when comparing one glass to the next. You may be different in this regard.

Ergonomically I think both glasses are also very good. They are probably both the lightest bins in their respective classes (price in particular). The Zeiss is a bit more compact and streamlined though mostly because of the smaller objective diameter. The Nikon's rubber exterior offers a bit better of a positive grip though the Conquest has large ribbing along the exterior where your hand is typically placed. The focusing speed and feel is definitely different. The Nikon has a bit more of a fluid feel and focuses quite quickly in my opinion. The Zeiss is almost as fast but the focusing mechanism does not offer as smooth of a feel. However, because of the Zeiss's very positive resistance the chance of you focusing past the focus point of the object is very slim in my opinion.

All I can think of for now. Either would be an excellent choice though the Monarch might prove a bit better as an all purpose glass because of the larger objective diameter.

Last edited:
FrankD made an excellent comparisson. I would note my opinion here: the Conquests seemed sharper and offered a more pleasing view (wide angle).

Help me pick one of four

I have the Docter, Conquest and Monarch. Each has their good points. I believe the Docter and Conquest are close to equal optically and definitely better than the Monarch. The Docter is relatively large and extremely well built. The Conquest is small and light weight appears to be well made. The Monarch is full size and light weight.

I take the Conquest for travel. The Monarch is a good "knock around" binocular as it is relatively cheap and has a great warranty, so if something happens to it, I don't have to worry. The Docter really feels good to use. I use it the most of the three.

Hope this helps.

I looked at some Zeiss Conquest range binoculars to save some money on a second pair but their build quality is shocking - thin tubes, with almost obvious gluing of materials visible. Very plasticky. The view is bright and sharp at the centres but the build quality is just too poor for me to recommend them.

I believe they are made in Hungary versus the better (and more expensive) materials of German made FL's.

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back