• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Selection vs. Collection (1 Viewer)

Sailcat

Fearless Spectator
I don't know if this question has been asked here before, but I am interested in the opinions of the assembled experts on this forum regarding the distinctions that separate these two terms. In other words, at what point does one's selection of binoculars become a collection? What are the functional differences between a selection and collection, how does one know when one's plurality of binoculars passes from one plane to the next, and which is preferable? Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this subject!

You have a collection when you buy binoculars to own rather to use. The reason may be fascination with industrial design and its history or it may be just plain acquisitiveness. Acquiring binoculars in search of the perfect glass may not necessarily be collecting. Since there is very little in the way of collector organizations, this particular affliction does not seem to be about investment or financial speculation.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :egghead:

Sailcat said:
I don't know if this question has been asked here before, but I am interested in the opinions of the assembled experts on this forum regarding the distinctions that separate these two terms. In other words, at what point does one's selection of binoculars become a collection? What are the functional differences between a selection and collection, how does one know when one's plurality of binoculars passes from one plane to the next, and which is preferable? Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this subject!

It takes more than one to have a collection. If you have more than one pair of binoculars, you collect binoculars.

Otto McDiesel said:
It takes more than one to have a collection. If you have more than one pair of binoculars, you collect binoculars.
Otto,

I beg to differ. If someone has an 8x20, for the theatre or for the road, an 8x40 for general bird watching, and a 12x50 for the shore, he has a selection of binoculars, suited for different purposes. Owning an 8x32 might be good for many applications but it is not the best for all situations.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

I agree with Pinewood here; I would think that the frequency of use (or the use for a specific purpose) for each model you have would be a primary factor in determining the difference between a collection and a selection.

If you actually use each of your binoculars either frequently or for a specific predetermined purpose than you probably have a selection. If on the other hand, you have a lot of binoculars because of a "fascination with industrial design and its history or it may be just plain acquisitiveness." as Pinewood stated or if you have so many binoculars that you cannot possibly (or just do not) use each of them on a regular basis, you probably have a collection.

I would disagree however in that if you have a ever-increasing inventory of binoculars because you are "acquiring binoculars in search of the perfect glass," I would in most cases, still qualify this as a collection.

Last edited:
Sailcat said:

This is something I have often thought about, concerning both binoculars and telescopes. I am far more familiar with telescope owners, and there are a few who seem more interested in acquiring telescopes than in using them. I'd call them collectors. I knew a gentleman who had a very early Questar. He didn't use it - he showed it to friends. His collection was a single telescope.

People who use binoculars or telescopes regularly can also become collectors by accumulating more than are really necessary. There are certainly good arguments for owning more than one binocular, but some folks really go overboard, IMHO.

There is certainly nothing wrong with being a collector, but I find I'd rather get rid of things I am not using. Of course, there is still some of that New England tendency toward being a pack rat in my personality, so I am not as successful as I'd like (actually, I think it a more universal leftover from a time when we did need to save everything because it might be needed). Fortunately, I've gotten good at not buying new things that I don't really need.

If you have a binocular that has been tucked away somewhere for months or years without use, you've probably moved to being a collector. The preferable approach is the one you are content with. There is not right or wrong approach to owning binoculars, and no reason to fret about the approach other people take.

Clear skies, Alan

Last edited:
lucznik said:
I agree with Pinewood here; I would think that the frequency of use (or the use for a specific purpose) for each model you have would be a primary factor in determining the difference between a collection and a selection.

If you actually use each of your binoculars either frequently or for a specific predetermined purpose than you probably have a selection. If on the other hand, you have a lot of binoculars because of a "fascination with industrial design and its history or it may be just plain acquisitiveness." as Pinewood stated or if you have so many binoculars that you cannot possibly (or just do not) use each of them on a regular basis, you probably have a collection.

I would disagree however in that if you have a ever-increasing inventory of binoculars because you are "acquiring binoculars in search of the perfect glass," I would in most cases, still qualify this as a collection.

You nailed it perfectly. I agree.
It is tempting, however, to cross the line between selection and collection, ever finding new uses for a new pair.

AlanFrench said:
If you have a binocular that has been tucked away somewhere for months or years without use, you've probably moved to being a collector.

Clear skies, Alan

Well, I have one tucked away in a cupboard that frankly isn't very good (a Minolta 8x40 porro). I bought it a number of years ago when I was fairly ignorant about what constitutes a "good" binocular. But, I agree -- this thing is a garage-sale candidate.

I tend to be a packrat. "I might need it someday." But sometimes I'll find something and say to myself, "Yes, this is very interesting; but until now I'd forgotten that I had it or ever wanted it?" At that point it's discardable.

Astronomical telescopes: Years ago, when there were not many good telescopes commercially available, many people made their own. I saw a divide between builders and observers. A builder would make a fantastic scope, look at the Moon, Jupiter, Saturn and M13, and move on to the next project.

I would tend to agree with the others. Amount of usage would dictate whether one has a collection or a selection of bins.

Sailcat said:

In my opinion a selection is when one has a number of items which are all in use, which one being used depending upon the particular situation at the time.
A collection can be divided into two different types. Firstly there is the collection built up by a collector, who is primarily interested in the item for its own sake. Collecting cameras or telescopes or binoculars is no different from collecting stamps or inmpressionists or Rembrandts.

The second type of collection, which is more an accumulation, is where one has a number of items, which have been used but have been superceded by a newer item, but which one still keeps. Eventuallythese wil become a collection.

I consider that I have a collection of cameras of this second type. I first became interested in photography when I joined my prep school photographic society when I was about ten, and I used my parents' old Kodak folding camera (which I still have). This lasted right through school until I went to university, by which time I was mountain walking and took many photos with it. My parents gave me my first 35mm camera (an Agfa Solinette) for a 21st birthday present. I was still into black and white and doing my own processing. Whilst I was at university I bought a 6 x 6cm
Agiflex single lens reflex. By the time I was a graduate student I was earning extra money by teaching photography at the local art college.

I went to live in the USA for a couple of years and bought a Contax D 35mm single lens reflex with a CZ Biotar lens, in New York. This camera is interestingly inscribed on the back "Germany USSR Occupied".By this time I was into colour photography.This camera with additional lenses lasted into the 1970's when I bought a Canon FTBn, this was followed a few years later by a Canon A1, then when the EOS cameras appeared a EOS 600, then a EOS 5, and only this year a Canon EOS 350D, my first foray into Canon digital. As I still have all these cameras, lenses and accessories, I consider I have a collection of cameras, but I don't consider my a collector. (Only my opinion)

baillieswells said:
Collecting cameras or telescopes or binoculars is no different from collecting stamps or inmpressionists or Rembrandts.

Except that (hopefully) your stamps, impressionists, and/or Rembrandts are increasing in their value - whereas your cameras, telescopes, and/or binoculars are probably not.

lucznik said:
Except that (hopefully) your stamps, impressionists, and/or Rembrandts are increasing in their value - whereas your cameras, telescopes, and/or binoculars are probably not.

Collectors who collect for profit are investors! However, some early telescopes of past centuries are now quite valuble. OK my stamp collections have increased considerably in value, but I didn't collect them for that reason. My Matissse has increased in value, but I wouldn't sell it; unfortunately I don't have any Rembrandts.

Curtis Croulet said:
Alvan Clark refractors are still highly prized.

They are dynamite! :smoke:

I have a great and growing selection/collection of binoculars. Though I tend to use only a very few. Interestingly some of the more expensive binos I own get used less....Nikon Prostar 7x50's. But some get used alot......Fujinon Polaris 10x70's.

I just took a pair of great quality old Japanese 9x35 porros to Africa. And left my excellent old B&L 9x35 Zephyrs at home. Curious, no?

So I have a selection of binos and I also have a collection of binos.

Last edited:
Greetings!

OK... I have over a dozen pair of high-end binoculars, and I find myself using almost all of them on a regular basis in a semi-random rotation. Do I actually need that many? Absolutely not - I could probably get by with only 3 carefully chosen binoculars for every conceivable birding situation. Do I own any of them just to "have" them or for historic/engineering/industrial arts admiration? Not really... they all get used and I appreciate the differing features, etc. of each binocular.

Do I have a selection, or a collection? I personally can't tell...

Best wishes,
Bawko

Sailcat said:
... In other words, at what point does one's selection of binoculars become a collection? ...

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
(Anon.)

Last edited:
baillieswells said:
In my opinion a selection is when one has a number of items which are all in use, which one being used depending upon the particular situation at the time.
A collection can be divided into two different types. Firstly there is the collection built up by a collector, who is primarily interested in the item for its own sake. Collecting cameras or telescopes or binoculars is no different from collecting stamps or inmpressionists or Rembrandts.

The second type of collection, which is more an accumulation, is where one has a number of items, which have been used but have been superceded by a newer item, but which one still keeps. Eventuallythese wil become a collection. ....

I also think, as Pinewood has said before, that just the fact that one owns and uses a number of binoculars, one is not a collector. My own situation is like baillieswells' I tend to keep my old models as I acquire a newer one, so they accumulate (being mostly positioned at the various windows). A true collector should make sure that his collection remains in pristine condition. So the glasses are best kept away from dust etc, preferably in an enclosed display case or in the original box. Also, all the items that come with the item, including the box should be kept as well. That would ensure the highest resale value.

Sailcat said:

Well, number 1, I am not an expert so you can delete my thoughts if you prefer. Number 2, I don't consider myself a collector in spite of having several pair of binoculars. I have never sold a pair and have owned close to 50 pair over the last 50 years. I give my old ones away when I no longer have a particular use for them, to new young birders, new old birders and Bird Exchange for use in countries where there are folks (young and old) who can't afford them, but need for birding. I can't afford nor could I afford them when I bought them, but better then than now that I am retired, but always figured there were those who were worse off than I. I don't beleive there should be collectors of something that many in the world need but don't have the means to obtain. Give your excess to someone who needs/wants them.

Jaeger near Chicago

Jaeger01 said:
I give my old ones away when I no longer have a particular use for them, to new young birders, new old birders and Bird Exchange for use in countries where there are folks (young and old) who can't afford them, but need for birding. Jaeger near Chicago

Great idea, Jaeger. I suppose the original question, whether a multiple of items is a collection or a selection, is semantic. My wife would call both excessive (but not her shoe/handbag selection/collection!). I culled my selection/collection, sold a few, gave two pairs away, and kept my three favourites. But now I'm thinking of my own three kids....what if they want bins....Hmmmmmmm.......

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back