• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Selection vs. Collection (1 Viewer)

A true collector will tell you that if you know how many binoculars you own, then you don't have enough of them!

Cordially,
Bob
(Collector of Fly Rods and Reels.)

ceasar said:
A true collector will tell you that if you know how many binoculars you own, then you don't have enough of them!

Cordially,
Bob
(Collector of Fly Rods and Reels.)

So, as a collector of model train rolling stock, does that mean I have enough since I have no idea how many I have? ;)
I admit in cutting down, in part for lack of space, though.

Swissboy said:
So, as a collector of model train rolling stock, does that mean I have enough since I have no idea how many I have? ;)
I admit in cutting down, in part for lack of space, though.

You'll never be sure. Be like the little engine that could and keep on chugging, er-that is, collecting. B :)

Bob

I confess that I own...This is not a twelve step program so I do not have to make a public statement. In the past year, I sold two, bought two, and traded another, which may mean I am on the road to a cure, or just moderation.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :scribe:

Last edited:
Alas, I have seven...or eight...binoculars. Whether it is a collection/selection is immaterial. The point is, I enjoy them as a means to an end. I love walking and watching. Binoculars only help me reach my destination...

Atomic Chicken said:
Greetings!

OK... I have over a dozen pair of high-end binoculars, and I find myself using almost all of them on a regular basis in a semi-random rotation. Do I actually need that many? Absolutely not - I could probably get by with only 3 carefully chosen binoculars for every conceivable birding situation. Do I own any of them just to "have" them or for historic/engineering/industrial arts admiration? Not really... they all get used and I appreciate the differing features, etc. of each binocular.

Do I have a selection, or a collection? I personally can't tell...

Best wishes,
Bawko

Also, when you have that many, and are bored, you can always take out two similar pairs and compare the view. I now seem to have three 10x roof prisms. One is a 10x Bushnell only sold at Wal Mart. They are in the trunk of my car at all times, and I have not suffered with them even when they were the only pair on hand.

When the birding is only so so, you can "reaearch" your bins.

Take care, go see some birds.
T.

Hmmmm ... vel-l-l-ly interesting

First of all I guess we don't know how many xoculars we have out here on the ranch/in the car/etc. My wife and I do use 5 binoculars all the time for our personal viewing at the three feeder stations near our house/deck and the activities in the back forest and fruit trees. But this is all facing to the west, so we have other binoculars for a north facing window that looks out at our main horse pasture and another to have handy when rushing out the front door to see something interesting to the east. I also have a pair in the car for viewing down by the Missouri River (saw a very large crane or possibly a migrating heron yesterday.

I carry a monocular all the time (just to read street signs from 2 blocks away if need be). None of this counts the 10 rental binoculars for visitors or the loaners I have for young extended family members. In fact I have a pair of 7x50 camo finish bins to give to the neighbor boy who checks the horses when we ask. Counting spare rental units and one pair of military M19 bins that are sort of collector bins, this all comes to about 25 xoculars at any given time. Of course this doesn't count bins that were once excellent but now aren't worth the cost of getting cleaned or re-alignment/collimation from being dropped, dunked or rained-on. These will eventually be sold on ebay to someone who can clean or repair bins.

Oops, I almost forgot...this doesn't count the 5 pairs of giant binoculars that are usually used for astronomy but can be used for birding on a tripod. So let's say 30 units that get regular use and 7-8 that are headed for ebay. This isn't just a selection or collection. It's an arsenal to be used for my wife and I, plus family and visitors, for every type of use. If I could afford all waterproof models, I'd have them, but currently only about 10 items getting regular use are waterproof. In 10 more years perhaps all 30 will be waterproof and many will have departed to ebay. Is it a selection or collection .... or is it real-l-l-l-ly an OBSESSION. Only the Shadow (and my accountant) knows.

PS can someone tell me how to get the USA flag listed next to our posting name? Thanks

Sailcat said:
Alas, I have seven...or eight...binoculars. Whether it is a collection/selection is immaterial. The point is, I enjoy them as a means to an end. I love walking and watching. Binoculars only help me reach my destination...

"At what point does one's selection of binoculars become a collection?"

This is a very interesting question. I have 5 binoculars in my collection. Or is it a selection?...
If I ask myself the question: do I really need all of them? the answer has to be: NO.
If I ask myself: do I want all of them? the answer is: I want even more binoculars.

I love binoculars and don't hesitate to confess that my selection to a curtain extent is a collection. It's a collection but also a selection. I have had many binoculars during the years and have sold many of them. I don't want to have a binocular I never want to use, - then I will sell it. Surely I will sell one or two of my present binoculars and exchange them to better models.

I think that a deciding factor of the difference between a selection and a collection is: a selection is what you really make use of, and a collection is what is fun to have for it's own sake. Then we have the combination between these two alternatives. The reality is seldom black and white...

Patric

If you own more than a couple pairs, or you find yourself inventing new uses for a new pair, you are probably collecting.

I only see a need for three binoculars... compact portable, general viewing, long distance/stargazing... Then again, this is my opinion and what works for me. lol

Well I have a touch of obsessive disorder I think.(>60 pairs)
I love older binoculars, and have great joy restoring old Japanese, British and German binoculars.
EBay is making easy for me to buy all manner of binoculars.
It is such a great feeling to look through a pair of Kershaw olympics with missing objective covers and worn coating to see a bright sharp wide image, far better than my Bushnel Trophys.
These old binoculars are works of art to me. I own an old pair of Tento 7X35's that are stunningly sharp over 90% of the FOV.
Buying a good pair of binoculars that need there internals cleaning is a real buzz for me.

When the birding is only so so, you can "reaearch" your bins.

Take care, go see some birds.
T.

Hi Tero...having thought recently that I was "cured" and that it was safe to walk past a camera store again, I find that I´ve succumbed, like an alcoholic falling off the wagon. Went and bought myself a pair of Canon IS 12x36 bins. I used to be a 10x fan (like yourself, I think), then I found myself using 8x more, but now with this IS feature, even 12x is possible, and the stability feature is incredible. Ever used a pair? Best Wishes, Éanna

I seem to have misspelled research. No, IS is for wimps. You buy 7x, 8x or 10x, whichevet you think you can hold steady. When I get old, I will be leaning on trees a lot to get my 10x to work.

Almost my favorite now is my 8x32 that really isn't the best, but it is sharp in the middle. I use it for most casual birding, though I have switched to 10x in the middle of the day. I need variety.

I think I prefer no batteries.
The Luddite in me was always suspicious of any extra technology....more stuff to break. It would be nice if the IS bins were solar-powered....they don´t use much power, only two AA batteries that apparently last 6 hours or so. I am blown away by the IS feature, though...it makes everything steady as a rock. (Maybe I just have wimpy hands).

Recently, Kevin Purcell shared this link in another thread. I think this thread is a classic. Thanks Kevin!

. . .

I have 12 binoculars. Before reading this thread I called what is in my optical case a "collection." Now I know better. I have a "selection."

...Bob
Kentucky, USA

Improve your life with optics.

In a way I envy the impressive bunches, whatever you call them, of binos that may of you forum members have. I would love to go out with you some time and go nuts comparing each and every one.

I own and use four binoculars, three for astronomy, which is one too many, and one for daytime. Daytime usage, a broader test of a binocular and observer, is a relatively new and absorbing pursuit.

But for me, multiplicity is not the road to go down right now. I think it unlikely that anyone could thrill to the aided view more than myself. But, to me it seems that any binocular will to some degree require the devoted user to subjugate some of his own instincts in order to extract the best performance. At best it is a very unnatural act. A binocular is very much not a pushbutton device (IS excepted!). Quality notwithstanding, it takes time and effort, getting used to its foibles, learning how to position your eyes to best suppress stray light, and to minimize lateral color. Only much repetition can make the user familiar with the mechanics and accessories, so that all the little mess of strap, lens guards, gripping, focusing, and eyecup operation becomes second nature and dispensed with in a thoughtless flash.

I just don't see how you can really master a whole pile of instruments. For me, the thrill is in owning one of good quality, and sticking with it, getting better with it, and seeing where it takes me, rather than buying another every time something about it irritates me, buying another when something about that one irritates me, etc.

The more I use my 8x42 Trinovid, the happier I get. I am learning how to use it better. Thoughts that occurred earlier, that I also needed a 10x32, 8x56, etc, etc, etc, are vanishing in the mist. This "compromise size" is working for me. And, I never have to decide what to take.
Ron

Well this thread made me do a count. 15 binoculars currently in hand and probably at least 4 more to cycle through my hands in the coming weeks. I wonder what will happen to my tax refund. How many of the next few I will buy remains a question. At least 4 of the current crop should go to ebay.

The Luddite in me was always suspicious of any extra technology....more stuff to break. It would be nice if the IS bins were solar-powered....they don´t use much power, only two AA batteries that apparently last 6 hours or so. I am blown away by the IS feature, though...it makes everything steady as a rock. (Maybe I just have wimpy hands).

The IS in those Canon bins is extremely impressive, it certainly makes higher mgas very useable. I've ne resolutely resisting looking through a pair of the 10-42 L IS bins as I fear the effect that they'd have on my bank account!

I used to think that I had a selection of bins, just a few different pairs all getting semi-regular use. However in honesty I have a collection of bins all of which see at least sporadic use.

Well, I am down to 7 bins that I use quite regularly with one more dedicated strictly to the backyard feeder (7x35 Nikon E). Of course there are a few others that are sitting around untouched for some time...and that Legend ED due in a few days and that......

;)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back