• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2014 - Can I see 1000 species? (3 Viewers)

Looking good Jon.
Btw you already had Little Shag at 235!

Thanks Andy I knew I'd cook the books sometime! So, I'll replace that with:
240) New Zealand Pigeon.
It was a Bellbird last night, so confirm that.
Heard an Owl screeching last night -is the most likely candidate a Barn Owl? Couldn't find it of course, but not counting heard species anyway.
We've trailed across the country to Te Anau now where I've found a couple of small flocks of what I think are Blue Ducks, I'll get the book out later and check.
EDIT, memory failed they were New Zealand Scaup!
Frogfish, no, no Shanghai, sorry.

248) New Zealand Scaup

Last edited:
It's dawned clear and sunny so we're off along the road to Milford Sound and a boat trip this afternoon, this drive is said to be good for NZ birds, hope so and I still haven't seen a Fantail!

Tom Tits are common in the campground at Milford if you have not seen one yet.

Thanks, MJ I saw at least one near Milford.
Today's haul:
249) Grey Duck
250) New Zealand Robin
251) Kaka
252) Tui
253) Kea
254) Fantail
255) Tomtit

256) New Zealand Pipit

257) Terek Sandpiper

I'll explain these last 2 later.....

When we went to the Katiki headland to see the YE Penguins, there were lots of small birds in the fields and as they all flew up at our approach, my immediate thoughts were: Pipits, but I then started seeing yellow ones and put them down as Yellowhammers. I now realise the error so NZ Pipit joins the list.
Back to Mai Po. There was a smallish wader with yellowy legs and an upturned bill. I was in touch with John Allcock, and he said ther was one around, so Terek Sandpiper also joins in.
Off to Queenstown today, but with a new hip and a dodgy back, plus various other excuses, I am NOT hanging off the end of a bungee cord!!

Whilst there you should ride one of those 'big birds'. Take a trip up to see a glacier in a helicopter. The glaciers are stunning (we went up to see both the Fox Glacier next to Lake Mathieson and one near Queenstown).

Whilst there you should ride one of those 'big birds'. Take a trip up to see a glacier in a helicopter. The glaciers are stunning (we went up to see both the Fox Glacier next to Lake Mathieson and one near Queenstown).

There is also one that does Mt. Cook from Queenstown, weather permitting of course. We went up, they views are glorious.

If you go to Lake Mathieson, go before 09:00 Hrs to see "reflection lake" at it's best. Later on the water begins to ripple.

Done glaciers in Canada!
Now in Kaikoura, where this afternoon's albatross tour has been cancelled! Wish me luck, I'm booked on another tomorrow morning!
Not very birdy in the last few days, but:
258) Rifleman - lake Tekapo
259) Grey Warbler - Fairlie
260) Kingfisher - is this the same as I saw in Fiji?
261) Australasian Gannet
262) Pacific Reef Heron
263) Hutton's Shearwater

More tomorrow if I get on that boat!

Done glaciers in Canada!

Can agree with this. Once you've seen a few, they're just basically lumps of ice, half the time duff dirty things, sometimes rather more pleasant blue things. But hey, chunks of ice are chunks of ice, whereas albatrosses, ooo, well they are something else. I know where I would be spending my time in New Zealand :)

Can agree with this. Once you've seen a few, they're just basically lumps of ice, half the time duff dirty things, sometimes rather more pleasant blue things. But hey, chunks of ice are chunks of ice, whereas albatrosses, ooo, well they are something else. I know where I would be spending my time in New Zealand :)

More to the point...why aren't you playing this game? Surely enough pondering done for trips to achieve it already booked...? ;D

McM of Kolkata...

More to the point...why aren't you playing this game? Surely enough pondering done for trips to achieve it already booked...? ;D...

Problem with my trips is that they aren't necessarily planned with big species totals in mind, or to destinations likely to produce such - bought tickets three days ago for my next jaunt (now scrutinising satellite images to work out possible routes, etc), but it ain't going to knock up a 1000 species :t:

But hmmm, maybe I should think about a target total for the year :)

Today dawned sunny and blue. Boat trip went ahead. Stunning!! Only 11 passengers, and 3 chumming stops, little bit lumpy out near the deeps, but no need for sea-sick stuff. Bizarrely yesterday afternoon we booked into our campsite and were sitting out drinking tea, when a van pulled in and the window wound down 'Hi Jon!' There was Mike Langman, top Devon birder, who I knew was in NZ, but never expected to meet! We went out last night and saw:
264) Little Blue Penguin
Then Mike drove me (and his wife!) to the boat this morning.
265) Cape Petrel (Pigeon)
266) WANDERING ALBATROSS - 14 together at one point!
267) Southern Royal Albatross
268) White-capped Mollymawk
269) Westland Petrel
270) White-chinned Petrel
271) Buller's Shearwater
Oh and from the beach last night and this morning several rare Hector's Dolphins to go with the Dusky Dolphins we saw yesterday morning, and chasing Terns was a:
272) South Polar Skua
I may have forgotten one or two, but we are moving on North now and booked on the ferry on 26th. So anyone with sites for Black Stilt?

Last edited:
Yes, the kingfisher is NZ is the Sacred Kingfisher. Little Blue Penguin is Little Penguin. Blue only used in NZ and Australia I think.
Jos, where is your next trip.
I am currently at Prince Rupert on the west coast, waiting for the ferry to Alaska, three days at sea.

Today dawned sunny and blue. Boat trip went ahead. Stunning!! Only 11 passengers, and 3 chumming stops, little bit lumpy out near the deeps, but no need for sea-sick stuff. Bizarrely yesterday afternoon we booked into our campsite and were sitting out drinking tea, when a van pulled and the window wound down 'Hi Jon!' There was Mike Langman, top Devon birder, who I knew was in NZ, but never expected to meet! We went out last night and saw:

If not too late look out for NZ Falcon in the KaiKoura area (esp. along the wooded treeline by the coast to the North) - I saw it twice there, once harrying and chasing off a Harrier.

BTW - If you went out with Gary Melville (Albatross Encounters) then you should have received his Trip List which they issue at the end of each trip out. If you didn't maybe contacting them will get you anything you missed.

If not too late look out for NZ Falcon in the KaiKoura area (esp. along the wooded treeline by the coast to the North) - I saw it twice there, once harrying and chasing off a Harrier.

BTW - If you went out with Gary Melville (Albatross Encounters) then you should have received his Trip List which they issue at the end of each trip out. If you didn't maybe contacting them will get you anything you missed.

Neither Mike or I have seen NZ Falcon yet, been looking everywhere! Yes we got Gary's list, the only thing I missed was Short-tailed Shearwater.
Glad I saw Little Penguin, don't have to try in Melbourne later now!

Best to ask about Black Stilt in Twizel, but they were 'easy' at the junction of the Tasman River and Lake Pukaki ( east of State Highway 80 at the foot of Mt Cook ), where the Cass River flows into Lake Tekapo ( from the bridge over the river ) and the Ahuriri River at the south end of 80, near where it joins 83. I also got NZ Falcon in the general area.

p.s. When you get to Melbourne check if any of the trees around the airport are in flower. It's a good site for Purple-crowned Lorikeet ( the only place I've had them ) and Musk Lorikeet.

Last edited:
Don't have any notes for the Stilt but I had NZ Dotterel on one of the beaches of Coromandel pensinsula (sorry I don't remember which one but it was on the North coast).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back