• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2014 - Can I see 1000 species? (1 Viewer)

Werribee is a great area. As you come in from Melbourne you cross the Little R., used to be a good spot for Lewins Rail. Instead of turning onto Paradise Road keep going south and check out L. Borrie. I don't know if the Orange-bellied Parrot will be on Shell I. ( at least if you stumble into a channel here you won't have the Auzzie army falling about, pi**ing themselves with laughter, which they tend to do at Swan I. ), best check when you get there. Murtcaim Wildlife Area can be good as well ( around the first major crossroad on Churnside Road, off Paradise Road ). If you can make it, I'd really recommend Wilson's Promontory NP.

Thanks again Dave, Chris and Nutcracker. I'll leave the Stilt in then and add Pied Oyc dreckly. When I saw Oycs on S Island 90% were Variable and the others were often associating with VO. I never concentrated on them to that degree. Those I saw at Miranda this morning were in a huge roost about 200 metres away, so no chance of looking, but the other guys all said they were Pied. I'm only in Melbourne for 4 days, so I'll probably hire a car one day and get out to Werribee, and if I can find those sites Chris, I'll try them too.
I think I have a reliable chance of Weka in the morning. Then off to fight through Auckland and out to Tiritiri Matanga the following day.
287) Pied Oystercatcher

288) WEKA - north island type (obviously) a small project looking after them near Oere point. Lovely lady let us into her garden and house.

Tomorrow Tiritiri Matanga...

Can I count the California Quail that were also running around? And what about all the Turkwys ambling about the countryside? Anything to get to 1000!!!

Last edited:
Loved Tiritiri, will update when I've got more internet access. Added 9 but not sure about splitting the Robins.

Looks like I'll be off to Oz on about 298.....

Nutcracker;2942686and said:
As with all taxonomy questions, simplest to look up on IOC and follow their decisions in every case. That way you get a reliable list. Bookmark the page to have it handy.

Thanks Nutcracker, I'll get round to it later- it'll be good to add a few retrospectively.

I walked round the Island with a Dutch guy called Kasper who had been before and missed his overnight slot the night before as they got stuck in traffic on the Auckland motorway. We were also delayed, but be aware that it happens most days mornings and eves. He was with a German guy called Karsten and we avoided the groups of tweed-type birders being guided around. Almost the first birds we saw were a pair of Kokako! Quickly followed by Red-crowned Parakeet, Stitchbird, NI Saddleback, many Bellbirds and Tuis, Lots of family groups of Whiteheads. Up at the lighthouse the first of 6 Takahes, and then down to a pond where an obliging pair of Brown Teal swam out for pics. Many Parakeets came to drink there. So off up to the other end of the Iland where we failed to find Fernbird, but did have mind-blowing views of 4 Spotless Rails. Looked in every tree, but failed to find Morepork. On the ferry over 4 Little Penguin, and hundreds of Fluttering Shearwaters. One Flesh-footed Shearwater.
289) Flesh-footed Shearwater
290) KOKAKO
291) RED-CROWNED PARAKEET
292) STITCHBIRD
293) WHITEHEAD
294) NI SADDLEBACK
295) TAKAHE
296) BROWN TEAL
297) SPOTLESS CRAKE

Brown Quail? N I Robin?

Tiritiri Matanga is a place that I'd really like to visit, and your report hasn't lessened that desire! Thanks for telling us about your visit. BTW, where were you staying the night before if you were delayed by traffic, or was that just in Auckland?

Introduced species

there are Brown Quail on Tiritiri Matangi, if that's what you mean Jon. They are an introduced species in NZ that comes from Australia.

Yes, I read that in a book myself, as well as Californian quail having been introduced into NZ. Without saying as much, it inferred that the populations of both species of quail are well established in NZ, a bit like little owls in Britain, which I suppose that most people would "count" towards a year "list"!

Yes, I read that in a book myself, as well as Californian quail having been introduced into NZ. Without saying as much, it inferred that the populations of both species of quail are well established in NZ, a bit like little owls in Britain, which I suppose that most people would "count" towards a year "list"!

absoloutely Allen, and I believe the word for these people is "cheats" ;);)

IOC don't split NZ Robin by the way.

Last edited:
Tiritiri Matanga Nelson lace that I'd really like to visit, and your report hasn't lessened that desire! Thanks for telling us about your visit. BTW, where were you staying the night before if you were delayed by traffic, or was that just in Auckland?

HI Allen, it wasn't me that got delayed! The Dutch and German guys were at Nelson and didn't allow for the M25esque queues that now beset Auckland Motorways at rush hour both ends of the day. We were free camping right by the ferry! Lots of free camping all over NZ if you want to do it on the cheap. You can easily do the whole island in a day, but if you want Kiwi, you'll need to book a night stay, and it gets booked MONTHS in advance.

There is a downloadable version of the official NZ list here http://www.wrybill-tours.com/nzfaq.htm
I'd tick California Quail, at least. They are as common as Common Pheasant are in the UK ( the buggers were all over Auckland when I was there ).

They were running around where the Weka's were..... I also saw a few Doves that clearly weren't Spotted Doves. The other one in the book seems to be Barbary Dove. This could easily join the list...

Any way we just flew on an Emirates Airbus A380-800 double decker with about a million people on it to Melbourne, where I heard a whole bunch of Parrots/Parakeets, whatever roosting in some trees on the way to the city centre in the dark. Hoping to jump into the three hundreds tomorrow....

Sorry for hijacking your thread for a bit John. Just a quick couple of notes for anyone thinking of doing NZ. Get in touch with the Department of Conservation at least 9 month in advance if you want to get onto any of the islands with Kakapo on, as you usually / always have to go as a volunteer ( you get free accommodation, food and Kakapo. Go on, sign up ). As you''ll be travelling around, enquire about 'buy back' cars. They are often cheaper than hiring. (Just because the buy back price is largely based on the amount if miles done is no excuse to disconnect the speedometer cable from where it screws into the gear box though ;) ).

Last edited:
Sorry for hijacking your thread for a bit John. Just a quick couple of notes for anyone thinking of doing NZ. Get in touch with the Department of Conservation at least 9 month in advance if you want to get onto any of the islands with Kakapo on, as you usually / always have to go as a volunteer ( you get free accommodation, food and Kakapo. Go on, sign up ). As you''ll be travelling around, enquire about 'buy back' cars. They are often cheaper than hiring. (Just because the buy back price is largely based on the amount if miles done is no excuse to disconnect the speedometer cable from where it screws into the gear box though ;) ).

GOod advice C!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back