• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7x36 BGA Classic - Is it Really A Swift Eaglet With A New Look ???? (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
HI .. I am considering the purchase of the Opticron BGA 7x36 Classic binocular. The only thing holding me back is I don't want to own another Swift Eaglet 7x36, I really did like the Eaglet but I need more eyerelief. When I owned the current Eaglet with the hard twist out eye cups the spec's said 16mm of eyerelief. The spec's for the Opticron 7x36 Classic state 19mm. Does anyone know for sure if the Opticron is indeed a better binocular in regards to having longer eyerelief ? , with the Opticron having different oculars than the 7x36 Eaglet. ..... Thanks gwen.

Gwen,

I don't know for sure, but appearance, size, dimension, and spec-wise they are the same (ER ? notwithstanding ?). Hopefully David (Typo) will chime in soon, as he probably has experience with both, and can fill you in on view comparisons, and eyecup design details. It's likely that they came from the same basic Japanese design, and factory, perhaps after Swift's exclusivity licensing terms expired or some such. It's too much coincidence for Swift's 64 layer CFT coatings technology to exactly match the number of layers in Opticron's Oasis coat ..... also, I don't know if we ever confirmed for sure, but the Zeiss Conquest HD, and Vortex APO Razor HD's may also be coated /have design elements, at the same factory ......

What I do know for sure from experience, is that the listed specs (and a lot of other information) on the Swift website is all over the shop!

Chosun :gh:

Hi Gwen - the two are optically and mechanically the same.

A difference in stated eyerelief specification could be either that Swift uses what the factory specification is stated to be or that is has a slightly different process for measuring eyerelief.

Opticron does not take it's contract manufacturer specifications for granted and batch checks eyerelief before publishing a specification. The same applies to minimum close focus.

However, if you've owned the Eaglet, the BGA Classic is not going to deliver you more eyerelief I'm afraid.

All that said, if you order from Eagle Optics, discountbinoculars.com or any other dealer that has 30 day returns policies, your risk is only the postage cost.

HTH

Pete

Hi Gwen - the two are optically and mechanically the same.

A difference in stated eyerelief specification could be either that Swift uses what the factory specification is stated to be or that is has a slightly different process for measuring eyerelief.

Opticron does not take it's contract manufacturer specifications for granted and batch checks eyerelief before publishing a specification. The same applies to minimum close focus.

However, if you've owned the Eaglet, the BGA Classic is not going to deliver you more eyerelief I'm afraid.

All that said, if you order from Eagle Optics, discountbinoculars.com or any other dealer that has 30 day returns policies, your risk is only the postage cost.

HTH

Pete

Thanks Pete for the info , it really helped ..... gwen

So, Countryman 8x32?

Frank ... After re-reading your review of the Countryman 8x32 HD I placed the order thru the Tuscon Audubon Society Nature Shop. The woman there said it will be shipped direct to me from Opticron 7 to 14 days. ... gwen

Me too I have now shortlisted that Bino along with the new Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 ed interesting how they will perform.
If anyone has the chance to test both please let us know. Thanks Harold

Harold,

I don't feel I'm able to make an 'official' comparison as the pre-production sample of the Monarch 7 8x30 I tried may not reflect the production model in all regards.

I like the Countryman HD, mostly for it's centre sharpness. It is better, in my opinion, than many at it's price point and with it's Japanese build quality I'd be happy to recommend it. However there is a more pronounced field curvature than other comparably priced models and a smaller sweet spot. Though it's fairly small and reasonably light the Monarch 7 8x30 sets a new standard. It feels somewhat smaller than the Swaro CL for example, though only fractionally lighter.

The 7's view seems somewhat wider than the Countryman with a wider sweetspot. There is a softening in the outer field, and the edges are actually quite poor with evident CA, but the perception is a much more expansive view. The colour seemed marginally more neutral than the Countryman with better blue rendition. What excited me was the centre view was very sharp, better than the 8x42 version (and the Swaro CL), but that is what makes me apprehensive. I've seen preproduction samples of other makes and models which were much better than the version that ends up on the shelves.

I expect the Monarch 7 8x30 will be very popular but it will only tempt me if they manage to maintain that level of sharpness.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back