• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8 x 32 SE question (1 Viewer)

Avron

Hello 8 x 32 SE users,

In March I purchased a pair of 8 x 32 SEs. It was only recently, however, that I attached the neck strap provided by Nikon. When I did, I found, to my surprise, that the binoculars don't hang straight: the eye cups tend to lean out, and the objectives tend to lean in, when the I wear the binoculars around my neck. I have never heard this reported about the SEs (I do not have the same problem with my 10 x 42 SEs) and I am wondering if others experience the same thing with their 8 x 32s. I would be grateful for any feedback.

Thanks.

Avron

Hi

I notice the same on my 8x32 SE, not really a problem for me. I have the eyepiece cover attached to the strap on one side only and when put on, it somewhat makes the bino hanging more vertical, otherwise the objectives knock the ribs ;)

Cheers

Maciek

Hello 8 x 32 SE users,

and I am wondering if others experience the same thing with their 8 x 32s. I would be grateful for any feedback.

Yes, I think that is a very annoying attribute of the SE 8x32 design. Unless the ocular cap is threaded onto the neck strap and snugged down the binoculars hang at an uncomfortable angle, with the corners of the objectives resting against one's chest or abdomen.

np

Thank you, Maciek and npos, for your quick replies to my question and for your suggested solutions. I have a sense that I'll often be carrying, rather than wearing, the 8 x 32s!

Best,
Avron

Attach the ocular cover to the strap on the left side between the binocular attaching lug and the adjustment buckle on the strap, about the same height as the ocular. Close the gap where the ocular cover attaches to the strap with some duct tape so it doesn't fall off and let the rest of the ocular cover swing free. Flip it over to the right ocular when it is needed. You won't have to attach it to the right strap if you hook it up in this manner.

Bob

I have been using the 8x32 SE's for 6+ years now for birding. I too found it a bit annoying the way they hang from the strap (do not lay flat against your body) and did something about it. I made a pair of lens shades out of strips cut from a vinyl notebook. They accomplish three things, the bins carry better as they now lie flat against my body; the lens shades block out stray light; and finally they provide an element of protection for the lenses, which are now recessed an inch or so. On many occasions they have kept my fingers from touching the lenses accidentally. The bins still fit in the case with the shades attached (it think they use the same case for the 10x42's so it is deep enough to accommodate the 8x32's with the shades still on). The one negative is that you can not use the lens caps with the shades attached. I have not found this to be a problem though.

- David

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back