• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An Open Letter to Oberwerk Regarding the SE 8 x 32 ED Binocular (1 Viewer)

1. Reduce the overall weight of the chassis by housing the optics in a polycarbonate body. Better still, a magnesium alloy chassis would offer greater ruggedness and a reduced overall weight. These days, magnesium alloy is not confined to high-end models but is now being offered even on budget-priced instruments.
  2. The focus wheel could be tuned better. Some owners have complained that there is some slack in the focuser, while others have noted its overly stiff tension. Improving this important ergonomic feature will greatly improve its enjoyability.

Both these would add to the cost (price point seems pretty important with this model).

It's also questionable whether it's actually within the power of "Oberwerk" to request such improvements from Kunming, or whoever actually manufactures the "SE" at the batch sizes they are ordering.

In a Cloudynights thread back in 2018 the owner of the "Lunt" and "APM" brands explained why he could not specify modifications suggested in that thread (italics are mine):

my problem here is they do not build what I want , they build something, send it to me for testing and I say I like this and do not like that. Then they try to make things better what I do not like, but they do not agree to rebuild it total, because they spend already too much money on tooling the prototype

That is the relationship that exists between most small-time bino rebranders and their PRC suppliers.

Last edited:
We sold out all the Visionary V-1 8.5x42 as briefly talked about here and more so on CN.
A number wondering if they were the same as the Oberwerk SE ED.
So the question I keep asking myself is, should the Visionary also have been classed as ED. Did they miss a marketing trick ?
They did have remarkably low levels of CA.

Must get round to sticking the one I used in my YT channel on the clearance page at some point.
Plus had a customer return who was expecting £1200 quality for £200. Maybe after seeing the CN discussion with
someone claiming they gave alpha performance (Their opinion not mine)

I bought an Oberwerk 10x42 through Amazon.
I sent it back
It was in it's own box, which was rattling around inside an Amazon box, because the little packing it had, had slipped off and was doing no good whatsoever.
The collimation was slightly out, I am very sensitive to this, it may have been from manufacture, or perhaps a knock in transit due to the lack of packing.
The eyecups were very loose, turning far too easily, and on a personal note, the rim of the eyecup is far too thick for it to work for me... (personal I know).
Optically, I was a little disappointed, having read the rave reviews, but I did think that for the money (£300 delivered) that they were actually quite good.
But they were not keepers for me.
I guess you do get what you pay for.
I would rather spend 2 and a half times as much on a Habicht.
You pays your money and makes your choice!!!

Could it be that the lengthy Open Letter by „Neil English PhD“ has less to do with customer feedback to Kevin, and more with promoting Neil‘s own new book ?? 🤔🤔🤔
I kind of agree with most of what Neil is saying, those improvements would make a much better binocular. As far as promoting one of his new books, this is a lot of reading, on his own website before we get to the end where his book is mentioned. In any event , I’ve preordered. 😝.

Paul

Another glowing report on the Obie 8 x 32 SE here; this time in relation to its vanishingly low CA output:

It might be worth noting that a properly designed external focus binocular, especially a porro, ought to be pretty good with regard to CA control. CA became an issue with the advent of internal focus in roof prism binoculars - someone more knowledgeable can provide chapter and verse I'm sure.

Those eyecup diameters surely were not made for deep set eyes, but for more of a flat eye structured face.
The eye cups diameters are too big on the Oberwerk SE 8x32 and SE 12x50. I tried them both, and they almost feel like the Canon 10x42 IS-L eye cups, which are way too large and uncomfortable for most people's eye sockets.

On both the SE 8x32 and SE 12x50, the eye cups were loose fitting and difficult to keep on one setting. I am surprised Neil English didn't mention that in his review. I returned both of mine because of the poor quality eye cups.

The optics are very good for the price point on both of them. Too bad about the eye cups, but that seems to be the problem with MIC binoculars. There is always some defect or quality problem that disappoints.

Please help me understand:
This binocular is very good for the price (and a few years warranty) OR it is good as an 1000USD binocular? Thanks.

Please help me understand:
This binocular is very good for the price (and a few years warranty) OR it is good as an 1000USD binocular? Thanks.
The Oberwerk SE is a good binocular for the price, but it is not as good a $1000 binocular optically or build quality wise. The deal killer with them is their big, uncomfortable hard eye cups that won't fit a lot of peoples eye sockets and are loose and won't stay in position.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back