• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 Conquests plus 10x42?? (1 Viewer)

Crazyjoe

So I’m currently housebound so can’t get out to try. Ive been toying with the idea of adding a set of 10x42 HD Conquests to compliment my 8x32 HD Conquests. Is it worth it? Will I get much more performance from a pair of 10’s? The 8’s are great but id like something a bit better suited to further distances like when on the moors or cliffs.

I have both Conquest HD binoculars in 8x32 and 10x42. Between the two of them, I use the 8x32 much more, as I prefer the smaller size, lighter weight, and wider field of view of the 8x32s. And, I don't find the extra reach of the 10s to be highly significant.

In bright daylight, the 32s appear just as bright as 42s do - given the same focal length. It's only in dim light conditions when, given the same focal length, 42s give more light than 32s do.

You may appreciate the greater reach of the 10s when viewing longer distances, but that may also be offset by the greater potential for image wiggle - due to hand shake.

All in all, my preference is for 8x power over 10x power, most of the time.

Conquest HD are certainly stellar quality binoculars for a reasonable price. I find my Conquest HD 8x32 binoculars to be nearly as pleasing as my 8x32 Victory SF pair. Of course, the Victory SF pair are clearly superior (I LOVE them!), but the difference isn't huge.

I like your idea, the Conquest HD is very good. I enjoy the 10x42, it is very bright and offer a great view.

Jerry

8X32 vs 10X42 is a bit like Ford vs Chevy, with long heated discussions full of hand waving and spec sheet quoting.

Good subject for an endless debate.

That is why many binocular users have more than one size in their selection. There is no one size that is best, that is
up to the eyes of each observer.
If you want to compare Ford vs. Chevy, then compare model, engine size, HP, etc. That is what a forum like this does, each
and every day.
Jerry

While I haven't used the Conquest HD in 10x42 I've had it in 8x42 and 8x32, so let's say I'm familiar with the range, and I wholeheartedly agree that it's just a mind-blowing idea, I totally agree with Allbinos summary of the 10x42:

"To sum up the Conquest HD 10x42 is so good that personally I find it rather pointless to spend significantly more money on such models as the Leica Ultravid HD Plus, the Swarovski SLC or even the Victory HT. Of course different customers have different preferences; I admit that e.g. the casing of the Conquest HD is not as shapely and handy as that of the Leica and the Victory HT corrects the chromatic aberration better. For many people such details might be decisive. Still they cannot change my personal opinion that among the aforementioned pairs of binoculars belonged to the premium class the Conquest HD features the best price/quality ratio."

Anyway, I also agree with ZDHart that sometimes the difference in reach between 8x and 10x doesn't seem "highly significant", so what I wanted to propose is something that can give a definite difference in performance/use, for example a light 10x50. I'm using the Vortex Viper HD 10x50 and I'm quite happy with it. Size/weight wise it behaves pretty much like a 10x42. The Conquest HD 10x42 weights 795 g and the Viper HD 10x50 hardly 805 g, so a 10 g difference (1/3 of an oz.).
Yes, I know the Viper HD just can't match the Conquest HD in many ways, but for low light they will give you something remarkably different to the 8x32.
Yes, I know some people don't like Vortex, but there aren't many light 10x50 out there, even the relatively compact Ultravid series goes up to 1000 g, and the build quality of the Viper HD is very nice.
Yes, the Viper HD has a lesser performance, but it also costs less than the Conquest HD, especially in the US.

It's just an idea, coming from someone in a similar position. My main pair is an 8x32 (and ELSV in my case) and for years I've wanted something with more reach, but many 10x42 just don't seem to offer a clear advantage. For example, the 10x42 SE is nice because, having a flat field and being very bright, is also a nice complement for backyard astronomy. So I've been playing with this idea of something to compliment the 8x32 and I've tried many flavours of 10x42, 10x50, 12x42, 12x50. Currently I'm trying a IS 12x36, but for pure birding/daylight use I say it has too many caveats (CA, soft image).

Last edited:
To extend my comments, above, while I tend to use the 8x32 Conquest HD more than the 10x42 Conquest HD... I do still enjoy using the 10x42's, particularly when I'd like a bit more reach/magnification. The difference between 8x and 10x isn't huge, but it is definitely noticeable. And I have no inclination, whatsoeve,r to let my 10x42's go!

So, to the OP... I'd say if you would like a bit more reach, you'll certainly enjoy the Conquest HD 10x42 - they are stellar bins for a very reasonable price. German optics and components, built in Germany, by a very legendary premium optics company. Good stuff.

After trying a bunch of formats I think having a 10x42 and 8x32 covers pretty much all the bases. If I was going to own one bino I'd have to go with an 8x42, particularly if i was allowed a spotter.

So I’m currently housebound so can’t get out to try. Ive been toying with the idea of adding a set of 10x42 HD Conquests to compliment my 8x32 HD Conquests. Is it worth it? Will I get much more performance from a pair of 10’s? The 8’s are great but id like something a bit better suited to further distances like when on the moors or cliffs.
Crazyjoe... did you get the 10x42s? I'm sure you love them, if you did. And I agree, for further distances on the moors and cliffs, the 10x magnification will be appreciated.

8x32 and 10x42 = great combination!

I think it’s a great combo as well. Of course I live out west so the 10x are perfect for distance viewing in wide open spaces.

Maybe check out my review of the Opticron Aurora 10x42 which I bought to complement my Conquest HD 8x32. I didn’t want the weight and bulk of the Conquests in 10x42 and the Opticrons are a bit cheaper too. Might be of interest, I’m very happy with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back