• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else like Birds AND planes? (6 Viewers)

AFAIK the final state will be two squadrons of each (USAF squadrons have 24 aircraft, so the base has about the same number of combat aircraft as the entire RAF). Also quick enough for round the island of GB and back for lunch..... ;)

John
Good to hear that Eagles will still be in our skies for a while yet, practising overhead for some time yet. And the A4 is still here......happy days.

Last edited:
Of local interest an RAF C17 Globemaster landed to a full stop and later lifted off from RAF Sculthorpe on Tuesday evening...... the first time a heavy jet has done this for many years. C130s and V22 do this on training missions but I cannot recall a four engined cargo airframe doing so during my time in Norfolk. Will have to carry out more Little Owl visits.

Currently sat in Agadir airport departures hall, looking out at the apron watching my incoming plane land, and a Quail just flew up over the building!

View attachment 1561545

Had this little party over the Brecks this morning. The KC135 tankers, and fighters, are common enough around here, but they don’t usually fly in formation like this. Pretty high too.

Interesting that the refueling boom is down, suggesting that mother had just or was about to feed her chicks.
Possibly Roma 22 dragging Trend71 - 74 Westwards ( F15s from Lakenheath ).

I visited Bodnant Gardens N.T. today, a few miles up the Conwy River from the coast and a regular spot for R.A.F. aircraft.
I’ve seen Hawks (British Aerospace) many times but for the first time today an Airbus A400M Atlas put in an appearance. Really very low and following the river. Past before I could get my camera ready but extremely impressive flying.

I visited Bodnant Gardens N.T. today, a few miles up the Conwy River from the coast and a regular spot for R.A.F. aircraft.
I’ve seen Hawks (British Aerospace) many times but for the first time today an Airbus A400M Atlas put in an appearance. Really very low and following the river. Past before I could get my camera ready but extremely impressive flying.
They are so nimble aren't they. Remember the first time I saw one display at RIAT and gasped at the incredible tactical take off.

Going downstream or upstream?

John

A Kalitta Air 747 out of Mildenhall this afternoon. Don’t see Jumbos so much nowadays.IMG_0922.jpeg
Don’t worry, you don’t have cataracts, the picture was taken through my 150 year old glass windows.

I forgot about the low flying bomber over the house last night, well, it sounded like a WW2 multi-engined aircraft flying low but....

When I told my lovely lady it was Russian she asked what on earth it was doing here!!!! :)
Screenshot_20240307_194212_Flightradar24.jpg

Don't let the Ukrainians hear you say it's Russian! Antonov is Ukrainian and so is the operator of that blue and orange Cub, which only goes over me when it's cloudy or dark grrrr...

John

When we first moved to Jacksonville Florida USA, the first house we bought was close enough to the Jacksonville International airport, while on our front porch at 1 o’clock high planes flew low enough one got a pretty nice view with binoculars. The flight path’s were nice because they were far enough away(not directly overhead) and not too close to be a nuisance(loud) when going buy. I really liked sitting on our porch watching both large and small military and commercial passenger planes as they approached and left that airport. We now live about 45 min drive by car south away from that airport, no longer being able to see/track any more planes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back