• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else like Birds AND planes? (4 Viewers)

And a few more.

Attachments

• Hurricane-(76)-fbook.jpg
    Hurricane-(76)-fbook.jpg
    529 KB · Views: 16
  • Black-Eagles-(34)-fbook.jpg
    Black-Eagles-(34)-fbook.jpg
    682.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Frecce-Tricolori-(180)-fbook.jpg
    Frecce-Tricolori-(180)-fbook.jpg
    598.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Hip-&-Hind-(6)-fbook.jpg
    Hip-&-Hind-(6)-fbook.jpg
    574.4 KB · Views: 16
  • F-35-(40)-fbook.jpg
    F-35-(40)-fbook.jpg
    658.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Beluga-(10)-fbook.jpg
    Beluga-(10)-fbook.jpg
    585.5 KB · Views: 17
And a few more.
Great set! Brilliant light and lovely crisp images. Your Black Eagles pictures are particularly nice.

I have a fair idea where you were standing now, perhaps where we usually watch from just right of centre.

We got caught by the early start having not even finished the East end of the static and ended up watching from the Western edge of the Red Zone.

Cheers

John

Great set! Brilliant light and lovely crisp images. Your Black Eagles pictures are particularly nice.

I have a fair idea where you were standing now, perhaps where we usually watch from just right of centre.

We got caught by the early start having not even finished the East end of the static and ended up watching from the Western edge of the Red Zone.

Cheers

John
I never got to the east end, although my son did when he went walkabout. We were left of centre.

We arrived at about 0915 and were walking from the green zone car park just as a Gulfstream was departing and the Italian Typhoon started its display as we entered the arena at 0940 after passing the static Air Force One. As we got to the first set of shops (I noticed a fish and chip shop) I spotted a clear space against the fence behind the first set of plastic chairs (which were empty at the time). Rather than risk going nearer to the centre I claimed that spot and never moved for 8 hours. It was about a third the way down the runway (looking at Google Earth), just west of where the aircraft landing from the east turned and went back to the hangar area.

As things got going and stuff like the helicopters did their displays, concentrating to the front of the grandstand two or three hundred yards further on, I wished I'd gone closer, but the die was cast.

Refraction was a problem on the more distant shots due to windless conditions and the heat, but the light was the best I've had at a display. I was delighted that the crowd was to the south of the runway. At Duxford you're always on the wrong side for the sun.

This C27 Spartan shot gives the view I had as we arrived. It filled up as the morning went on, but it was always tolerable.

Attachments

• Red-Arrows-(8)-fbook.jpg
    Red-Arrows-(8)-fbook.jpg
    633.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Black-Eagles-(129)-fbook.jpg
    Black-Eagles-(129)-fbook.jpg
    631.1 KB · Views: 12
  • C-27J-(2)-fbook.jpg
    C-27J-(2)-fbook.jpg
    648.5 KB · Views: 13
  • EF-18M-Hornet-(26)-fbook.jpg
    EF-18M-Hornet-(26)-fbook.jpg
    584.3 KB · Views: 13
  • EF-18M-Hornet-(34)-fbook.jpg
    EF-18M-Hornet-(34)-fbook.jpg
    601 KB · Views: 12
  • EF-18M-Hornet-(35)-fbook.jpg
    EF-18M-Hornet-(35)-fbook.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Shot this (Hercules?) doing circuits off Landguard Point on Tuesday, are they now employed in a maritime role?

Cheers

Attachments

• 63B8DD29-257B-4D7C-9107-224E24304C1B.jpeg
    63B8DD29-257B-4D7C-9107-224E24304C1B.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 24
Where is the insignia John, that's a French flag on the tail and fuselage, just like this one?

Its not: the only things on the tail are the low-observable illumination patch and a mess of grey which is the USAF serial number. You will also notice that the French aircraft in your linked picture is overall very dark grey whereas the one Ken has photographed is in the typical USAF scheme of dark grey uppers with light grey underside. My look at the rear fuselage shows another mess of grey which is the stars and bars, not a full-colour Armee de l'Air roundel.

No doubt Ken's actual shot shows better detail than the BOC version.

Cheers

John

The Osprey I see flying over the Lakes always have their rear door partially open, often with a crew member or two sat on the back, legs dangling down. The recent airshow picture and a quick Google image search seems to show Osprey usually fly around this way.

Anyone know the reason, is it just for rear visibility?

The Osprey I see flying over the Lakes always have their rear door partially open, often with a crew member or two sat on the back, legs dangling down. The recent airshow picture and a quick Google image search seems to show Osprey usually fly around this way.

Anyone know the reason, is it just for rear visibility?
They often have a fifty cal mounted on the rear ramp and when coming into a landing/pickup zone the loadie will be on the open ramp so even without the gun mounted the crew are gaining experience and confidence in being at the edge of the yawning void while manoeuvring at speed.

John

They often have a fifty cal mounted on the rear ramp and when coming into a landing/pickup zone the loadie will be on the open ramp so even without the gun mounted the crew are gaining experience and confidence in being at the edge of the yawning void while manoeuvring at speed

Thanks, makes sense. A great way to see the Lakes, they should offer passenger rides!

They often have a fifty cal mounted on the rear ramp and when coming into a landing/pickup zone the loadie will be on the open ramp so even without the gun mounted the crew are gaining experience and confidence in being at the edge of the yawning void while manoeuvring at speed.

John
see the crew of the chinooks do this low over the pennines a nice way to see the country

Hi guys and gals - The rear ramp is not just for a sightseeing trip or weaponry - the Air Loadmaster will be in constant chatter to the pilot up front about the environment around the air vehicle in question (be it a fixed rotor or V-22) and will be scanning all arcs for other airframes and unexpected encounters as well as being vital for 'brown out' landings in hot desert environments. Many a parachutist and paraglider owe their lives to a clued up air loadie.

I got ripped into by a US friend of mine for using that term incorrectly.
The "stars & bars" refer to the Confederate flag not the Stars & stripes of the Union.
True but "stars and bars" has also been used for USAF insignia from WWII when the bars were added - before that there was just a star in a circle (not forgetting that until almost the end of WWII there was no USAF as such, it was the US Army Air Corps and then US Army Air Force). So your friend needs to learn a little of their own culture, although it may just be that they don't like the association of the term with the other usage: unfortunately, not liking it doesn't change the facts, just like Guy Gibson's dog.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back