• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else like Birds AND planes? (5 Viewers)

The Red Arrows are currently in Cyprus (info courtesy of a friend who works at Akrotiri where he currently services and maintains drones) but there is nothing in their display schedule, anyone telll me what they might be doing here?

Two Typhoons also over the house yesterday but gone too quickly for a pic.
Well, one theory would be that they’re keeping a low profile after a ‘difficult’ year (Commanding Officer currently suspended and other investigations into inappropriate behaviour ongoing…). Maybe a bit of team building in the Med will help;)

Well, one theory would be that they’re keeping a low profile after a ‘difficult’ year (Commanding Officer currently suspended and other investigations into inappropriate behaviour ongoing…). Maybe a bit of team building in the Med will help;)
They've been on a Middle East tour: I don't know when it was due to finish but they might just be making an extended stop on the way back.

John

I thought they also, for many years, routinely spent the British winter months based in Cyprus as the almost guaranteed clear skies and fairly stable weather and temperature pattern meant favourable conditions for practicing and honing the display routines in readiness for their UK and European diary. I would not be surprised, albeit sadly, to see the team disbanded before the next decade.

I thought they also, for many years, routinely spent the British winter months based in Cyprus as the almost guaranteed clear skies and fairly stable weather and temperature pattern meant favourable conditions for practicing and honing the display routines in readiness for their UK and European diary. I would not be surprised, albeit sadly, to see the team disbanded before the next decade.
The Med part of the build-up to next season is early in the year rather than late in the previous year. It doesn't start until they are beginning to build up into the larger multi-aircraft formations and practising sequences, not just formation keeping.

In the last couple of years it's been in Greece rather than on Cyprus as Akrotiri is significantly busy with operational flying across the Middle East and now up into the Black Sea region.

John

The Med part of the build-up to next season is early in the year rather than late in the previous year. It doesn't start until they are beginning to build up into the larger multi-aircraft formations and practising sequences, not just formation keeping.

In the last couple of years it's been in Greece rather than on Cyprus as Akrotiri is significantly busy with operational flying across the Middle East and now up into the Black Sea region.

John
Yes, I understand that RAF Akrotiri has been in the forefront of operations in recent years but there is no denying that Cyprus has been a key overseas and lengthy stay for the whole team and crew for many years and secondly being a UK sovereign base with associated benefits.

The Red Arrows are currently in Cyprus (info courtesy of a friend who works at Akrotiri where he currently services and maintains drones) but there is nothing in their display schedule, anyone telll me what they might be doing here?

Two Typhoons also over the house yesterday but gone too quickly for a pic.
The Red Arrows display season is now over. They go to Cyprus to hone or amend various current displays (next years' rules may have changed) or develop and practice new routines.
MJB

As in post no. 1383 Mike, but thank you for your insight. Any idea as to how much longer the Hawk T2 trainer will remain as the principal fast jet trainer for the RAF, hence why I pondered how much longer a dedicated associated display team could exist for and be duly justified in these modern times.

As in post no. 1383 Mike, but thank you for your insight. Any idea as to how much longer the Hawk T2 trainer will remain as the principal fast jet trainer for the RAF, hence why I pondered how much longer a dedicated associated display team could exist for and be duly justified in these modern times.
They reckon they have enough Hawk T1s in store and brought to Red Arrows standard to last till about 2035 but with government you never know....

John

Just a note on what the squaddies consider to be 'big time Charlies', the Red Arrows pilots who are used to be feted as demi gods, have been getting some real stick in some of the army bars where they've apparently been roundly abused, ignored or both and had their feet put firmly back on the ground!

A friend who gives me the 'goss' here is in the REMY, he just finished a stint servicing Apache helicopters and as I said, he currently works with drones.

Just a note on what the squaddies consider to be 'big time Charlies', the Red Arrows pilots who are used to be feted as demi gods, have been getting some real stick in some of the army bars where they've apparently been roundly abused, ignored or both and had their feet put firmly back on the ground!

A friend who gives me the 'goss' here is in the REMY, he just finished a stint servicing Apache helicopters and as I said, he currently works with drones.
….a case of envy?

….a case of envy?
Not sure there's much to be envious of at the moment: multiple suspensions, media and chain of command spotlight firmly on them, ageing aircraft, birdstrikes - 2022 definitely a season to forget (or rather, learn lessons and move on!)

John

Pair of C130 J Commandos tearing up the village area. These are low, the following frame with no navigation lights, nor tracking on usual maps. Great to watch even with basic night vision. Back to the footie though.

Pair of C130 J Commandos tearing up the village area. These are low, the following frame with no navigation lights, nor tracking on usual maps. Great to watch even with basic night vision. Back to the footie though.
Quite normal for only the lead of a formation to squawk. A lot of military don't anyway (always annoying when a chopper goes past my window with no squawk - black on RAF dark green on a dirty airframe is near impossible to read!

John

Sad to read that Carolyn Grace has been killed in a car crash while visiting Australia. RIP Carolyn.

This is Carolyn arriving at Duxford in July 2009, when I was fortunate enough to be there for a birthday present flight in a Tiger Moth.

Attachments

• 17-Hurricane-&-Carolyn-Grace-fbook.jpg
    17-Hurricane-&-Carolyn-Grace-fbook.jpg
    862.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Sad to read that Carolyn Grace has been killed in a car crash while visiting Australia. RIP Carolyn.

This is Carolyn arriving at Duxford in July 2009, when I was fortunate enough to be there for a birthday present flight in a Tiger Moth.
Doubly shocking in that her husband was also killed in a car crash, which was one of the things that set her on the path to be a Spitfire pilot. Sympathy to her family (son is also a Spitfire pilot.)

John

I like planes that do not have jet engines. Like (hang)gliders or Spitfires. Or Messerschmitts or Vought F4U 'Corsair's. Constellations too. Boeing Stearmans and Fokkers and Sopwith Camels ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back