• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best compact binocular for approx £100? (1 Viewer)

amh2029

Hi,
Any suggestions for a decent compact? I received my free £30 compact recently from Warehouse Express - not much cop and looking for a replacement asap!
Cheers,
Andrew

You could consider Pentax 8 x28 £130 from Amazon co.uk ive order a pair of these to keepin the car.Pentax binoculars seem to be very good value from Amazon at the moment,cheaper than most places in America and Japan And thats got to be a first.

I picked up a pair of 8x20 Leica trinovids for about £100 from Schipol airport.. special offer... but unbeatable at that price

amh2029 said:
Hi,
Any suggestions for a decent compact? I received my free £30 compact recently from Warehouse Express - not much cop and looking for a replacement asap!
Cheers,
Andrew

I would check out the Bausch and Lomb Custom Compact 7x26. This is a very field worthy glass. I have seen it sell twice recently on Ebay new in the box for under $200 US.

Jane Turner said:
I picked up a pair of 8x20 Leica trinovids for about £100 from Schipol airport.. special offer... but unbeatable at that price

What's that I'm feeling... oh yes - envy.

Having looked at compacts recently the top end models are so much better than anything else out there. So unless you can have Jane's fortune I'd say it's a matter of joining me on the look out for a good secondhand pair - leica, swaro and zeiss are all ecellent (as I've been told are the nikon).

Thanks for these suggestions - eventually bought a pair of 10x24 bausch and lombs on special offer at warehouse express (half price £120) and very nice they are too!

The Summit 8X26 MR is still available for £35-£50. It has a light coloured body and differs from the 8X26 HR and the current Summit series. The 8X26 MR was given the same rating for optical performance as similar Leica and Swarovski glasses in a magazine survey about two years ago and is by far the best "below £100" binocular of its type and size I have ever used. The image is unusually bright and the field of view one of the widest in an 8X binocular with objectives below 30mm. It certainly isn't as tough as the £200+ brands but I think beats them hands down for value.

amh2029 said:
Hi,
Cheers,
Andrew

I've never found out the precise answer. Summit is a brand name used by the Japanese lens company Hoya mainly for contact lenses and the Summit MR binoculars are advertised as having Hoya lenses. But there's nothing on the binoculars, boxes or instruction sheet to say exactly who makes them or where. I think the brand name may have been sold or leased because the present Summit binoculars and scopes seem to be Chinese. Also, the Summit HR binoculars which were launched at the same time as the MR look quite different and aren't supposed to be nearly as good even though they cost more.

elgin5050.fsnet said:
Who make the "summit" binocular please?

postcardcv said:
What's that I'm feeling... oh yes - envy.

Having looked at compacts recently the top end models are so much better than anything else out there. So unless you can have Jane's fortune I'd say it's a matter of joining me on the look out for a good secondhand pair - leica, swaro and zeiss are all ecellent (as I've been told are the nikon).

Got a chance to look through the Nikons and found they didn't fit my eyes at all well.

I thought the Delta BGA (yup an in-focus branch!) and Opticron Imagic BGA suited me better. The Delta's were better built and more compact if pricier than the Opticron's.

I actually went out to get a pair of the Summit bins for my non birding spouse. However, we both thought that they were obviously out performed by Pentax 8x21 UCF M (at a similar price). This didn't entirely surprise me since the latter are mini porros. At this end of the market porros always represent a better bet optically. They are a little more bulky, but this suited my wife who, like me, finds small roofs much too fiddly to use,
John

I think it depends which one you use. I believe the present Summit range comes from China and apart from the brand name is unrelated to the SummitMR series launched in the 1990s. I've tried all three of the MRs and have found the 8X26 far better than the 8X22 and 10X26. Reviews have said that the 8X26MR is superior optically to the SummitHR mini porro, which I don't believe is sold in the UK any more. At £35 a go, I'd certainly back the 8X26MR for value for money. I hope one day to pit it against a small roof from one of the acutely high-priced brands.

John Cantelo said:
I actually went out to get a pair of the Summit bins for my non birding spouse. However, we both thought that they were obviously out performed by Pentax 8x21 UCF M (at a similar price). This didn't entirely surprise me since the latter are mini porros. At this end of the market porros always represent a better bet optically. They are a little more bulky, but this suited my wife who, like me, finds small roofs much too fiddly to use,
John

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back