• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird guide not to be use in the field (1 Viewer)

black lark said:
i just mean that there are mutch better guides around than this one, the drawings are just a little better than the peterson guide (i don't know why they still bringing it out)

really can't agree at all

HBI is a great book indeed.

beats the others hands down

Tim

Tero said:
It has all the field guide info EXCEPT I don't remember if it has maps. But the Amazon reviewer says:The new hefty tome, at 664 pages, has updated range maps for each species.

Don't buy their other, older book, which is not a catalog of all the birds.

Then it looks like a good option. And comparing this with Sibleys guide to bird? Former better info, later better drawings?

Tero said:
Sibley's is good, but he does have an odd style to draw birds directly from the front. As a single book, it is better than many, but some families I prefer other guides. You are talking about the bigger Sibley Guide to Birds?

I wish I could show you a page from each. But view the sample pages here.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/06...103-0129093-0674260?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Yes. And plates at Sibleys look very nice. Do you know if in the NG complete book of bird many artists are involved in the drawings as in their FG? Actually are they the same plates?

canutus said:
Yes. And plates at Sibleys look very nice. Do you know if in the NG complete book of bird many artists are involved in the drawings as in their FG? Actually are they the same plates?

IIRC, they are mostly the same plates, although the "Complete" book might not have as many illustrations for each individual species. But there are some new illustrations for the newest birds in the region (Social Flycatcher, Mangrove Swallow, etc).
I think your comparison question of this and the Sibley guide is right on. The NG Complete guide is mostly info, but does have an illustration of every species. Whereas the large Sibley guide is mostly illustrations (and IMHO the best illustrations for NA), but not much info except for maps and some vocalization descriptions.
Getting both would be the best of both worlds.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back