• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birding with a disability (8 Viewers)

Hi Nina

Although I`ve not tried myself I have seen a few people using a golf trolley to transport all their bits & pieces.

Regards Steve.

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Not nearly as dangerous as some of the drivers on our roads - still driving at excessive speeds, with a mobile phone clamped to an ear, in spite of recent legislation in the UK!!! :eek!:
I know, we've seen some awfully scary things on our major roads too, Elizabeth. The best one yet was hubby telling me that while he was driving down by Toronto a few years ago, he passed a guy that was reading a newspaper AND drinking coffee... at the same time!!.... while driving over 120 km per hour!!

Nina,have you any sort of basket/box on the rear of your buggy?.at first I used tripod caryying bags from Jessops to transport scope and tripod,but the bags were long and did not fit in the basket properly,albeit they were light to carry,they could be slung over the shoulder by the long carrying strap.But then I bought a Carriscope rucksack type holder from Warehouse.I stand this up in the basket and lasso a bungee strap around the seat and through to basket to hold it upright.I can remove the scope /tripod,without removing the rugsack,set everything up,without having to carry anything any distance.The only downside is,it is a little heavy,and I think does use extra power,so I do have to charge the trike batteries, more often.It is a little cumbersome,but once on the back of the trike is not a problem.Yes,bins are held around my neck and cameras are stored one in the front basket,where I can lean forward and remove and use without needing to get off the machine,and one on the basket with the scope etc,and fold up walking stick pushed in somewhere along the bottom of everything.Getting everything ready to go out with is like preparing for a major expedition,that is not to mention taking the waterproof covers off the trike(it sits outside all year round) but once organised ,I'm away and can can travel all around the village and the sea defences along to the bird hide etc,even down along side the laggoon where the terns are nesting,and I have nothing to carry,and it is easy to take tripod and scope out to set up.I just have to rely on weather conditions which is a bit of a nuisance up here as we have lots of high winds coming in from across the Atlantic,but on the whole I have a good set up which is relatively easy to use and transport,and I am totally independent.Could you not fix a little trailer to your buggy,Nina,to put extra stuff inside.

christineredgat said:
Nina,have you any sort of basket/box on the rear of your buggy?.at first I used tripod caryying bags from Jessops to transport scope and tripod,but the bags were long and did not fit in the basket properly,albeit they were light to carry,they could be slung over the shoulder by the long carrying strap.But then I bought a Carriscope rucksack type holder from Warehouse.I stand this up in the basket and lasso a bungee strap around the seat and through to basket to hold it upright.I can remove the scope /tripod,without removing the rugsack,set everything up,without having to carry anything any distance.The only downside is,it is a little heavy,and I think does use extra power,so I do have to charge the trike batteries, more often.It is a little cumbersome,but once on the back of the trike is not a problem.Yes,bins are held around my neck and cameras are stored one in the front basket,where I can lean forward and remove and use without needing to get off the machine,and one on the basket with the scope etc,and fold up walking stick pushed in somewhere along the bottom of everything.Getting everything ready to go out with is like preparing for a major expedition,that is not to mention taking the waterproof covers off the trike(it sits outside all year round) but once organised ,I'm away and can can travel all around the village and the sea defences along to the bird hide etc,even down along side the laggoon where the terns are nesting,and I have nothing to carry,and it is easy to take tripod and scope out to set up.I just have to rely on weather conditions which is a bit of a nuisance up here as we have lots of high winds coming in from across the Atlantic,but on the whole I have a good set up which is relatively easy to use and transport,and I am totally independent.Could you not fix a little trailer to your buggy,Nina,to put extra stuff inside.
I love the thinking guys have.Living with a disability is planning.Be assured you will meet something everyday that you didn't plan for.The buggies you girls use are incline sensitive and crampt for hauling birding gear your planning has saved the day.I'm looking too Have to plan everything.The right hand is almost always busy.I have learned to do several things at once just using a few fingers.I may use two fingers to hold a can and the others to pull open a door.I like to know in advance where I'll be going and how to deal with it.Needless to say I return to many familiar places.The blind were an early inpiration.While riding the bus I noticed a few blind riders and asked how they do it.It's all in the planning x number of steps from the house to sidewalk x number to the bus stop and so forth.Very determined and organized.I lived in a wheelchair for 4 months during my initial recovery until I learned to walk.This was the standard push around model.My parents had a big rough collie that loved to walk.As I slowly improved I'd walk Robin on short walks then longer walks .I even walked him in proper hunt fashion with the leash jammed in my rotten left hand.He learned to match my awkward gait and we strolled along usually 2-3 miles a day.I owe more to my walking recovery to that dog than any therepist.Keep your buggies driving around all obstacles and see a lot of birds.
Sam

Very interesting thread , I think it helps us all understand a little bit more. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sam,I 100% agree about your dog.We have just adopted another dog,alfie a black 3yr old LabxCollie.Barry does the long walks,but I can make it to the beach where I throw balls for him to exercise,obviously not being able to walk far,it is a case of walk and sit,etc.But when the weather is such I cannot go birding ,I still have to take Alfie for his strolls when Barry is working,and I must say,it does help ones mobility.It is quite good sometimes.At the moment it is a an early afternoon tide,I sit on a rock with small binoculars,listening to the waves gently crashing onto the beach(or not so gently ,as they were a few days ago)scanning the sea for birds,Alfie plays in the sea,it is very therapeutic.Animals have a lot to teach us,they can be so relaxing,yet ,as Sam says,they do get us out and about,whereby without them being needed to be exercised etc,we would perhaps not make the effort.Cats likewise,people who are chairbound(for want of an expression),find so much peace from stroking their pets as they jump on their knees for comfort and attention,can gain so much more from life.Two of our former Springers were with the PAT group.We used to visit nursing homes,the dogs absolutley loved seeing the old folk and being petted and fussed,although I think at times it was for the biscuits which would suddenly appear from handbags and pockets.The "oldies" themselves,so looked forward to the visits.The caged birds which were kept in some homes also helped the residents to smile and often gave them a reason for getting up in the morning and going down to the dayroom.They just loved to see the bird and say hello to it.
Iv'e gone on a bit here,sorry,I just feel that animals,whether domestic or wild,(as in the birds we see) can contribute so much towards the happiness and well being of the human race.

christineredgat said:
Iv'e gone on a bit here,sorry,I just feel that animals,whether domestic or wild,(as in the birds we see) can contribute so much towards the happiness and well being of the human race.
Unfortunately, it's only wild animals and birds for me.....allergies prevent any indoor animals from now on!! :( I would have a houseful of cats if it wasn't for that.

Thanks for the info all of you, but my problem is no means of carrying anything on the back of the buggy, and as for planning everything down to the last detail, the distance must be less than three miles if on inclines, and five at most on level, as I have to return and the max distance on one charge is 10 miles max, so I'm just going to have to get a bigger and more powerful outdoor terrain chug-bucket, to get all the gear about for better quality birding. I suppose another design will enter my head sooner or later, and then send that off to be made up, only trouble is getting things from brain to use takes upwards of five years! How's that for planning!
I did see a man on a huge beach buggy type of transporter, but too big for use at the big event that was held in Dorset a couple of weeks ago! He ended up having to walk further than he could properly manage.
At present the scope just fits into the basket on the buggy, but I'm unable to carry tripod, and have difficulty carrying my walking stick let alone tripod! I just wondered if there was something that would take the tripod and my stick and put it across my back, so fit a bit like a rucksack, but not to carry it low on the back, but to be carried close to the neck and well above the waist level, to fit above the back of the chair on the buggy.
No doubt I'll end up making one for myself, but with one arm giving grief at present it will be very difficult.
Just interested to see if there was anything on the market at the moment.
I realise we have some very inovative members here and this thread has opened up some really interesting ways around some of the problems each person faces, so if you know of a long thin sideways rucksack please let me know where I can get one!

scooters on the boardwalk

Our big migrant bird party was this weekend.One of the larger sites is Magee Marsh because of it's attraction to warblers.I myself don't walk too well and have always avoided the big weekend at Magee because every birder in a four state area would be on its long boardwalk through the marsh.I decided this year to brave the crowds and tripod legs and have the Magee experience.The parking lot was full on arrival including many out of state tags.The crowds ran light and heavy depending on sightings.As I moved along at my usual slow pace I held up with a group to view a hermit thrush.I looked back briefly and saw a man on a scooter pull up next to me.He was alone with only his bins and a field guide.We conversed for a short while about birding in general and birding with a disability.We were both out in it and getting the most from the day based on what we could do.As the fellow moved on I watched people pull up tripods and give the guy his space.I was shocked to look further down and see another scooter coming from the opposite direction.As they approached each other they were close to an off spur for an overlook that many able-bodied people were using.After informing the folks on the side spur what they needed to do people moved and scooters were manuvered around each other to make their escape.I guess this illustrates that in crowded situations compassion and cooperation can prevail.
Sam

Attachments

• BF magee boardwalk.jpg
    BF magee boardwalk.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 101
First off I would like to say first off what an interesting topic to read.

Whilst not suffering from any disabilities myself, I can appreciate the problems some people have encountered (My Mum, Dad and Sister are all registered disabled) and would like to reiterate that the disabled birders assocoation are a very good organisation to look at. Their website was linked earlier on in this thread, and stopping by their stall at the bird fair is well worth it. With patrons such as Bill Oddie, Chris Packham and Howie Watkins, how could they go wrong!
I know they are actively trying to get better disabled access at reserves around this country (UK), not just ramps but tap rails, etc. and are very much in need of people to assist in areas around the country and world. They have had an imput into work being carried out at Sandwich bay, and the new reserve at Cliffe.

As a member of the affore mentioned club, I know there is a yahoo group, or was, it seems to have gone a bit quiet, linked in with the organisation, where people can talk through emails.

The website offers trip-reports (from disabled trips), details of reserves and details of their ongoing comittment. :clap:

Oh and membership is FREE

I am not disabled, yet, but who knows what's round the corner? the Thing that occurs to me is that with very few exceptions, good access for disabled people is also nicer for the rest of us, parents with pushchairs comes to mind and I detest walking muddy paths if they are made up for disabled people it's also nicer for me to walk along. I just thought that observation would give a bit of extra clout to those trying to get something done and being told about the cost for limited numbers of usersetc etc.
As it is I admire you people, long may you all keep going, bit non PC this bit, but ever time I see one of those little electric scooters going along I get the "Easy Rider" theme going round in my head, no offence intended.
Mick

How Great that sounds Mick, I am very dissappointed with some ignoramus' they look straight through you, even when you ask (very politely) for something from the top shelf, and they are tall and easily able to reach, they walk past as if you weren't there! Deaf/blind /ignorant! I just hope they never have to cope with the same problems! I must admit to the delightful way children react, there was one young lad, four years old, he asked outright why I was in the shoppers buggy! How really refreshing it was, I explained that the main reason I was there was because I had a nasty accident whilst at work, but his guardian was most obviously embarrassed, but I was really happy to talk with the little boy, and he ended up helping to unpack my basket. If Only Others were so UNINHIBITED! I have tried to explain to adults who are in a position and think should they offer to help, my answer is just ask if we are just looking it is still thankyou everso much for the offer, as I have found that is the best way! Please to offer is so very accreditable, and anyone who refuses with bad grace, May they be damned, as most would never be so rude as to decline in a nasty way.
I have just started to need the wheelchair in the house and boy is it difficult, all the passages are too narrow in spite of getting one that fits through the doors (just) the footrests have to come off to get in through the doorways! I really don't want to move house though!The garden is my sole reason as I have so very nearly got it fully designed for all uses, and the birds are just starting to benefit from the trees I planted, four Blackbirds, nests, three Robins nests, I have no Idea how many Wrens, Longtailedtits, Thrushes or what other birds have benefited, but all those I have seen are doing very well, and that is just with the trees and shrubs I put in the garden, and you can guess anyone else moving in will grub them all out, so I am loath to give up my home!

Well said Nina - at least children don't have the inhibitions that many adults have! Their questions may embarrass the adults with them - but let's hope it educates them as well.

Re the question or carrying equipment,which can be no easy task for the more able bodied ,at times,I saw advertised in one of these mail order leaflets,a battery operated golf club accessory carrying jobbie.It was half price ,as well.But looked just the job.one could adjust the speed to suit ones walking pace,there was even a golf notebook attached,just the thing for ticking off ones "lifers!!".
Could be worth a thought .

Thanks again Sam for starting this thread...

I'm not disabled...well a little nuts maybe...but I was wondering if a person who isn't disabled, can insult a disabled person, by offering to much help. It's in my nature to help when I can...I remember one time while birding, there was a woman in a scooter who dropped a writing tablet by me. I reached down to get it for her, and she told me not to help. She was almost angry at me. This can be very confusing. Where is the line when helping becomes sympathy? How does one know when to step in or not?

Mike

If someone drops something I tend to pick it up - (even if they are not disabled), if it happens to fall nearer to me. Perhaps she was newly disabled, and finding it difficult to accept?

weather said:
Thanks again Sam for starting this thread...

I'm not disabled...well a little nuts maybe...but I was wondering if a person who isn't disabled, can insult a disabled person, by offering to much help. It's in my nature to help when I can...I remember one time while birding, there was a woman in a scooter who dropped a writing tablet by me. I reached down to get it for her, and she told me not to help. She was almost angry at me. This can be very confusing. Where is the line when helping becomes sympathy? How does one know when to step in or not?

Mike
Perhaps she was just having a bad day in general and her anger wasn't nessecarily pointed at you?
Most people, I would think, appreciate it when someone steps in to help. Like Elizabeth said, whether they are disabled or not. On the other hand, some people also think they need to prove that they can take care of themselves, disabled or not.
I wouldn't let this one incident stop you from helping others, Mike. There are a few bad apples no matter what but I think most people are appreciative.

samuel walker said:
I would like to establish this thread to discuss with all at BF who go birding with a physical disability.Let's share together what gear we use and how.Transportation and other considerations the disabled birder faces.I am one and occasionally see others.This will be a chance to help ourselves.
Sam Walker

Sorry Im posting rather late to this thread but Im new here, it is of great interest to me as I have a problem getting about as well! It is good that we can read how difficult it is for others as well, and take it as inspiration, well, I certainly do, so this is a great thread.

At the moment, Im waiting for a triple bypass operation following a heart attack aroun d 7-8 weeks ago. I get very short of breath, have little real energy andf the angina can sometimes be scary as I dont really want another attack, Ive had two, and maybe a third would see me off! Im currently on 7 tablets a day for this problem, and Im winning bit by bit and can manage further distances each time I go out, I have the riverwalk hide at ladywalk as a target! :). Im lucky my wife is with me all the time this is very confidence building! But I cannot go too far, as I get angina which can be controlled with a spray, but gives me terrific headaches!

Before this happened I suffered hospitalisation with arrythmia and svt? (where the heartbeat goes high and wont come back down), I was compelled to cease heavy weightlifting after that fisrt problem, of course I was back about the place in less than a week but this latest attack is of a far more serious nature and I was in hospital for nearly a fortnight. This still occurs however, and is very uncomfortable.

3 years ago they told me after Xray that I have premature degenerative disease in pelvis both hips and base of the spine which makes standing and walking painfull, apparently it is not going to improve but will deteriorate further. Actually ive suffered arthritis in all major joints for a long time, but this is the worst aspect of it. I now use a stick for long walks though I dont like using one as I have a even worse diability, which is stupid pride! LOL! I cannot walk far without severe hip and knee pains, and standing is a torment for anything more than 10 mins.

The great thing about all of this though, is I get to go out watching a lot since I cannot work any more, and as a HGV driver I get to lose my license, Ive done this as a job since 1980 and have no trade so Ive got time on me hands! And eventually I'll even get one of them scooters to fly round on! LOL!

Last edited:
Keep on moving

Malcolm Fisher said:
Sorry Im posting rather late to this thread but Im new here, it is of great interest to me as I have a problem getting about as well! It is good that we can read how difficult it is for others as well, and take it as inspiration, well, I certainly do, so this is a great thread.

At the moment, Im waiting for a triple bypass operation following a heart attack aroun d 7-8 weeks ago. I get very short of breath, have little real energy andf the angina can sometimes be scary as I dont really want another attack, Ive had two, and maybe a third would see me off! Im currently on 7 tablets a day for this problem, and Im winning bit by bit and can manage further distances each time I go out, I have the riverwalk hide at ladywalk as a target! :). Im lucky my wife is with me all the time this is very confidence building! But I cannot go too far, as I get angina which can be controlled with a spray, but gives me terrific headaches!

Before this happened I suffered hospitalisation with arrythmia and svt? (where the heartbeat goes high and wont come back down), I was compelled to cease heavy weightlifting after that fisrt problem, of course I was back about the place in less than a week but this latest attack is of a far more serious nature and I was in hospital for nearly a fortnight. This still occurs however, and is very uncomfortable.

3 years ago they told me after Xray that I have premature degenerative disease in pelvis both hips and base of the spine which makes standing and walking painfull, apparently it is not going to improve but will deteriorate further. Actually ive suffered arthritis in all major joints for a long time, but this is the worst aspect of it. I now use a stick for long walks though I dont like using one as I have a even worse diability, which is stupid pride! LOL! I cannot walk far without severe hip and knee pains, and standing is a torment for anything more than 10 mins.

The great thing about all of this though, is I get to go out watching a lot since I cannot work any more, and as a HGV driver I get to lose my license, Ive done this as a job since 1980 and have no trade so Ive got time on me hands! And eventually I'll even get one of them scooters to fly round on! LOL!
Hi Malcolm:Thanks for sharing your story.There are many in the forum that share your situation of limited mobility and unlimited time.I myself am a stroke survivor who has lost the use of the left hand and walks slowly.I too had to retire from a job that was driving intensive.It has left me with much time on my hand.For eight years now I have filled it with nature study and bird photography.A door as been opened and I have stumbled through.There are many good stories on this thread from disabled birders.Some great pics show up in the gallery.Be on the lookout for picture posts from Christine Redgate,a talented young woman in Havvrig who does outstanding digiscoped photography from a scooter.As you have already learned I'm sure,birding won't give you back what you've lost but,the little chaps will raise the spirit which I know can be down at times.Keep moving and save what you have.
Good sightings,
Sam

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back