• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (3 Viewers)

Things have been fairly quiet over recent days. Yesterday produced a Stock Dove, five Snipe, four Goldcrests and a calling Great Spotted Woodpecker in Nigg Bay and 251 Purple Sandpipers roosting. This morning in Nigg Bay was fairly quiet but there was a flock of seven Crossbills and a Great Spotted Woodpecker in Nigg Bay, with 240 Purple Sandpipers on Skate's Nose.

A lovely, slightly frosty day here in Torry and I had a good walk around Nigg Bay. The ice brought out the Water Rails, with two showing very well in the reedbed and at least another three calling. Teal have been hard to see recently, but at least six were present today. A Stock Dove was again on Tullos Hill and a flock of 13 Siskins gave good views along the railway embankment. I had the best views yet of Crossbills, with seven feeding in the larches near the skate park. They seemed to be giving 'Type E' calls.

Attachments

• Crossbill_Girdle Ness_221220a.jpg
    Crossbill_Girdle Ness_221220a.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 11
  • Crossbill_Girdle Ness_221220b.jpg
    Crossbill_Girdle Ness_221220b.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 11
It was a cold day in Torry today, with a thin layer of snow lying in the morning. This did bring some reward, however, with an absolutely splendid juvenile Glaucous Gull that appeared in Greyhope Bay, flying west over the beach at close range. It tracked along the north bank as it headed towards the harbour. I didn't see it when I returned to the harbour later on though, so perhaps it had continued somewhere else.

I spent a bit of time seawatching but it was fairly quiet. The best were three Goldeneye heading north. Otherwise there were two Red-throated Divers, a Kittiwake and a few Gannets.

Happy Christmas to all readers of this thread!

Attachments

• Glaucous Gull_Girdle Ness_241220a.jpg
    Glaucous Gull_Girdle Ness_241220a.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Glaucous Gull_Girdle Ness_241220b.jpg
    Glaucous Gull_Girdle Ness_241220b.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 10
A pleasant Christmas Day here in Torry and I spent most of it around the Ness. Crossbills were again conspicuous around Nigg Bay and I had some great, intimate views of a few feeding in larches. At least six were present, altogether. Water Rails were showing well again in the reed bed. Other birds included a male Great Spotted Woodpecker, a Stock Dove, 27 Siskins and eight Teal.

The headland was fairly quiet in the afternoon but a Crossbill flew north over the harbour. Flying south were a Common Scoter and a Goldeneye.

Attachments

• Crossbill_Girdle Ness_251220a.jpg
    Crossbill_Girdle Ness_251220a.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 7
  • Crossbill_Girdle Ness_251220d.jpg
    Crossbill_Girdle Ness_251220d.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Crossbill_Girdle Ness_251220c.jpg
    Crossbill_Girdle Ness_251220c.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Crossbill_Girdle Ness_251220b.jpg
    Crossbill_Girdle Ness_251220b.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 7
What a wonderful sight that must have been Andrew.

You had a good session to day and got some great pictures too. So no need to ask if you had a Happy Christmas is there LOL

Fairly quiet at the moment, but it was a pleasant, cool day here today. Nigg Bay still held at least three Crossbills, although they weren't seen perched. Water Rails were again giving good views in the reedbed. There were seven Teal in the marsh and a nice flock of four Stock Doves on Tullos Hill. Not much was around the headland in the afternoon.

Had a walk around St Fitticks Park,from first light this morning with Angus Falconer.Teal,Water Rail (heard only),Moorhen and Mallard on the Ponds/Marsh.The decent flock of Siskins were still moving around and also Blue/Coal/Great Tits and Goldcrests were around.Mammal sightings Included a Fox and 5 Roe Deer.

Also nice to bump Into Mark Lewis,who was Introducing his son to the delights of the Park,In sub zero temperatures !!! At least the bairn looked warm,all wrapped up In his Buggy ;)

I was down at St Fittick's a bit later in the day and had a pleasant walk around. Two Crossbills were again seen quite well, perched in the trees near the waterworks. A couple of Water Rail also showed at the reedbed. Also about were 20 Siskins and a Goldcrest. Of most note was my first ever sighting of a Kingfisher at the marsh. One flew through the wetland and then headed upstream along the Burn.

Attachments

• Buzzard_Torry_281220a.jpg
    Buzzard_Torry_281220a.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 15
I ventured north of the Dee today for some not-quite-Torry birding. I was impressed to see quite good numbers of seaduck off Aberdeen beach, including 12 Long-tailed Duck, 15 Red-breasted Merganser and 18 Common Scoter. A Great Northern Diver was also just offshore. Further north, an Otter was seen briefly just upstream of Bridge of Don.

Another chilly, icy day in Torry. St Fittick's in the morning was mostly about the usual suspects. Two Crossbills were in flight and a Water Rail showed well again. Otherwise there were 14 Siskins and a showy Sparrowhawk by the marsh.

I had a look north from the headland in the afternoon to see if I could pick out the duck off Aberdeen beach that I'd seen yesterday. Despite the distance, I counted 12 Long-tailed Ducks, 11 Red-breasted Mergansers and five Common Scoters. It was fairly quiet otherwise but 225 Purple Sandpipers were roosting.

Attachments

• Sparrowhawk_Girdle Ness_301220a.jpg
    Sparrowhawk_Girdle Ness_301220a.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Sparrowhawk_Girdle Ness_301220b.jpg
    Sparrowhawk_Girdle Ness_301220b.jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 9
Happy New Year to all readers of this thread. Last year was my best ever on patch, with 150 species (although I still missed several fairly regular species and also a few things others saw). 2021 began today with exactly one third of that total. The Nigg Bay area in the morning was reasonably interesting. The highlight was an unexpected Siberian Chiffchaff, which appeared in the reedbed for a short time, giving close views. Probably rarer on patch was the nearby Treecreeper accompanying a tit flock. Other birds in the area included a Teal, five Snipe, three Siskins and a Stock Dove. Water Rails continue to give decent views in the reedbed.

The headland was pretty quiet in the afternoon. A scan to the north revealed seven Red-breasted Mergansers and seven Red-throated Divers off Aberdeen beach. 226 Purple Sandpipers were roosting.

Attachments

• Siberian Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_010121a.jpg
    Siberian Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_010121a.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Siberian Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_010121b.jpg
    Siberian Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_010121b.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Siskin_Girdle Ness_010121a.jpg
    Siskin_Girdle Ness_010121a.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back