• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (15 Viewers)

I think the bad thing Is,the Labour/Conservative/Independent coalition within the Council shall vote for It to go ahead and the SNP can hardly argue against It,as the Scottish Government are more or less matching the funding donated from the UK Government for this to go ahead.

I had a look round the headland late afternoon, in rather sultry, cloudy conditions with calms seas. At least seven Curlews went south, and waders are clearly starting to move again. On the sea, 64 Common Scoters - moving both north and south - was a good number. There were also five Puffins, all going north. The increasingly dark looking drake Goldeneye was still in the harbour and the Goosander flock is now up to 31.

Attachments

• Common Gull_Girdle Ness_230621a.jpg
    Common Gull_Girdle Ness_230621a.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Common Scoter_Girdle Ness_230621a.jpg
    Common Scoter_Girdle Ness_230621a.jpg
    926.9 KB · Views: 9
Very pleased to hear that Torry has annexed Montrose ;)

I've been away for a week so this afternoon's wander round the headland was my first in a while. Things were fairly quiet, although lots of hirundines and Swifts were hawking over the north side, often coming very close. Offshore, a Manx Shearwater and a Bonxie went south. I was surprised to see a pair of Stock Doves fly into the golf course and start feeding on the fairway.

Attachments

• Great Skua_Girdle Ness_050721a.jpg
    Great Skua_Girdle Ness_050721a.jpg
    559 KB · Views: 4
Come to think of it, on a good day I can see the Isle of May. 🤪
There's a fine opportunity for you to pen a new verse to the song, 'This is my once-a-year day...'**

"This is my once-a-year day
Once-a-year day
Felt the morning sun and knew that
This was my once-a-year day..."
MJB
**From The Pajama Game, 1957 musical starring Doris Day, lyrics by Ross and Adler...

It's a Golden Plover, though not too sure it's a juvenile. Good record!
It just looked so callow. What do juveniles look like in comparison?
It was there again today. Both days the golf course was empty. Maybe it only dares come out when the air isn't full of small round missiles.
Nice to have you back from your travels. What was the highlight?

This thread has been neglected long enough ;)
I had my first walk around St Fitticks Park this morning for a long time and as expected at this time of year,not a lot was going around.To be honest and this may not be a welcome assumption but the Park Is needing some heavy rainfall to bring It to life again.Water levels are very low and In many areas,the Park Is overgrown or bone dry.
Various stages of young Moorhen were on the patches of visible water and I heard,then seen a Water Rail at the Concrete Bridge.A few Sand Martin were flying over the Marsh and family parties of Goldfinch were constantly on the move.A Reed Bunting was seen briefly and a family of Great Tits,were on the Pines by the bench.
The good thing being,things can only get better.

A large number of female Goosander were between the Banana Pier and the Skates Nose last night.I was In a car,so could not get a proper count but would estimate that there were 60+ between the two Piers.

A large number of female Goosander were between the Banana Pier and the Skates Nose last night.I was In a car,so could not get a proper count but would estimate that there were 60+ between the two Piers.
Friday there were 2 dozen below SEPA and another group of 60 between the piers.
I usually see 3 rabbits on the Tullos sports ground. I counted 24 last week. They seem to be breeding.
I also saw somebody walking round whistling and spinning a lure. Had he lost his harrier? Hired to lessen the bunny population?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back