• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (10 Viewers)

Skern !!

Just had time to hit the Skern this morning before i picked up the kids. 200+ Dunlin 60 Brents 100 Golden plover 12 Grey, more oyster catchers than i could be bothered to count properly, and a nice single Rock pipit which was a first for the year, so see its always worth pounding the local patch even if its only for few minutes.

Darryl

Thanks everyone!

When we get some nicer weather, i'll ask my dad if he'll drive me down to slapton, should only ben 5mins drive, if that and when i do, i'll try my best to identify some birds, tho no doubt i'll be asking you lot to help haha im not the best and know the basics and what comes in our garden haha but thank you!

Thanks everyone!

When we get some nicer weather, i'll ask my dad if he'll drive me down to slapton, should only ben 5mins drive, if that and when i do, i'll try my best to identify some birds, tho no doubt i'll be asking you lot to help haha im not the best and know the basics and what comes in our garden haha but thank you!

Hi Staysee

The best way to learn is to get out there, and never be affraid to ask questions.

Happy Birding

Stu

Thanks everyone!

everybody starts somewhere. we're lucky to live here and get a diverse collection of birds.

Malcolm (the Mandarin), a Woodcock, three Mipits, a Siskin, Fieldfares, Redwings and lots of lovely snow on the canal between Halberton and Tiverton.

The spotted Red is still showing well at Fremington Pill - took this one this afternoon.

Attachments

• spotred1.jpg
    spotred1.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 108
Nice bird and photo Roy!

Two Cattle Egrets at Powderham by the round house, smart drake Goldeneye off Cockwood (railway crossing), Common, Velvet & Surf Scoter off the sea wall at Dawlish Warren and 18 Red-legged Partridges at Wilsworthy Cross (Kenton).

Checked a few Brent flocks but no Black Brant, could be anywhere.

Avocet and Common Sand at Passage House this afternoon.

Where are all the cold weather refugees?

Good point Kev. I remember Feb 91 which they are saying was the previous coldest winter to this and when the south-east had a big freeze then we had a massive influx of Fieldfares and Redwings but nothing this winter yet. Maybe last time it reached furthur south-west into Dorset and Somerset ?

Good point Kev. I remember Feb 91 which they are saying was the previous coldest winter to this and when the south-east had a big freeze then we had a massive influx of Fieldfares and Redwings but nothing this winter yet. Maybe last time it reached furthur south-west into Dorset and Somerset ?

Been at work all day today, but this morning large flocks of Redwings and Fieldfares flying west over Seaton. Maybe it's just starting? I want grey geese!!

The snow cover forced a female Brambling into our garden. Last winter there was a female for a few months but this one only visited for ten minutes or so before next door's kids came out to play.

Definately thrushes on the move today. Had 800+ Redwing, most on Exminster Marshes, from the train between Newton and Exeter (also a Snipe about 110 species for that route now).

Two Redshank over Exeter St Davids station probably also linked to the cold weather.

Make sure your grey geese fly west Steve, I'll be waiting for the call ;)

The Spoonbill still present today, slightly downriver from the Combe Cellars Pub in Combeinteignhead. Also a Greenshank there.
which side of the river were you on cos i went down this morning and saw no spoon. loads of redshank from passage house, little grebe, a single dunlin, a hand full of mipits and 3 mergansers.

which side of the river were you on cos i went down this morning and saw no spoon. loads of redshank from passage house, little grebe, a single dunlin, a hand full of mipits and 3 mergansers.

It seems it isn't getting up at Passage House at all. It has always been seen downriver of the Coombe Cellars Pub. At high tide today it was roosting on the railway bank on the north side of the river halfway between Coombe Cellars and Shaldon Bridge, and at low tide it was feeding just downriver of Coombe Cellars Pub in the main channel. If you stand on the grass bank by the pub car park and look downriver you should be ok.

It seems it isn't getting up at Passage House at all. It has always been seen downriver of the Coombe Cellars Pub. At high tide today it was roosting on the railway bank on the north side of the river halfway between Coombe Cellars and Shaldon Bridge, and at low tide it was feeding just downriver of Coombe Cellars Pub in the main channel. If you stand on the grass bank by the pub car park and look downriver you should be ok.
i did go down to the pub and did see 2 white egret type birds, 1 was a definate egret the other was just to far to call 100%. i wont tick it yet!!

i did go down to the pub and did see 2 white egret type birds, 1 was a definate egret the other was just to far to call 100%. i wont tick it yet!!

low tide or dropping tide will probably get you a better view, as it will always be distant when its roosting at high tide on the far side.

Hi All

A single Male Golden Eye and 13 Goosander on lower Tamar.
Could do with one for my Devon list anybody fancy moving some signs!! Lol

Stu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back