• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (5 Viewers)

Hi all

Could anybody help with finding a Brambling in North Devon, this is becoming not at all funny. I think there could be a greater chance of a Dodo! Lol

Stu

Went for a stroll not a million miles from home yesterday: stopped to listen to a Cirl singing then realised I could also hear Woodlark, first song this year; what a glorious song that is.
Back in Dawlish, a Dipper on the brook was the first for quite a while, probably the returning female, let's hope she finds a feller this year.

Would love to hear a woodlark singing; would be a first.

Chuffed today to see a Great Grey Shrike N of Bellever tor today - what a treat. Really great views of a spectacular bird hunting in such an environment and light.

Single Cattle Egret at Yelland this afternoon. First one I have seen in the North of the county this winter.

Attachments

• C Egret1.jpg
    C Egret1.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 67
The Penduline Tit was very obliging this morning feeding continuously at the tops of bulrushes in the small reed bed at the west of the boating lake in Goodrington. This was despite the fact the two Council workmen were working in the reed bed only a few feet away at the time, pulling up chunks of weed. Imagine the outcry if they had been Birders or heaven forbid, photographers!!!!. Roger

Slapton Ley

Four Med Gulls in Ireland Bay this morning plus the usual Marsh Harrier, Slavonian Grebe and a Firecrest in the quarry.
The sea was fairly quiet except for another Slav and 3 Great Northern Divers off Torcross. c200 Dunlins on the beach.

Dippers this afternoon at Rothern Bridge (Puffing Billy) Torrington, presume it was a pair as they were chasing each other up and down the river.

Stu

Beesands Ley

Did the WeBS count this morning. A lot of the wildfowl has moved on including the wierd hybrid but the 3 Scaup still present.

Anybody know anything about the Pink Stink In Northam as my dad lives in Yelland but is in Coventry at present.

Mike.

Little owl!!

Little owl sat on the roof at the old house opposite skern lodge last night at dusk.
Nice to see as I personally havnt seen one there in a while.

Darryl

Charlie Fleming from Exeter came up on Saturday hoping to photograph Bramblings that have been in my garden for most of this year. What a difference putting up a hide makes to the quality of the photographs. They came be seen here:
http://parrotletsuk.typepad.com/wldlife_in_a_suburban_gar/
Roger
Some nice shots there Roger/Charlie. Can you sent a few up to the North of the county Roger I have never even seen one let alone photograph it.

If any local birder would like

The New Atlas of Breeding Birds in Britain and Ireland 1988-1991

or

Gulls, a guide to Identification PJ Grant second edition

please get in touch

Charlie Fleming from Exeter came up on Saturday hoping to photograph Bramblings that have been in my garden for most of this year. What a difference putting up a hide makes to the quality of the photographs. They came be seen here:
http://parrotletsuk.typepad.com/wldlife_in_a_suburban_gar/
Roger

Great photo's Charlie/Roger. Bramblings in your back garden excuse me while I have a quiet cry, I've still not seen one the first sign of a Finch flock I start to shake and twitch. 8-P

Stu

Just returned from a walk along the Tarka Trial out to Isley Marsh and 3rd time lucky the Cattle Egret was there, 4 Spoonbill also present.

Stu

Went to the pond beyond Rock Park (Barnstaple) on the south side of the river yesterday, and saw 5 Green Sandpipers and a Black-tailed Godwit.
Then sneaked over the border into Somerset and saw the Great Grey Shrike up on Exmoor.
Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back