• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Enjoying the EL’s in their natural environment… (1 Viewer)

safaridreaming

We’re currently in the Samburu Game reserve in northern Kenya and really enjoying the EL’s in their environment. All our EL’s are 8x32’s and we also hv Swaro compact 8x25’s that the kids are using…

Sitting back and having an afternoon siesta just now..… bird life is amazing. Will post more pics of that once i’ve got a chance to download from my SLR to my ipad (still trying to figure out how to do that)…

Attachments

• IMG_7320.jpeg
    IMG_7320.jpeg
    503.3 KB · Views: 107
A few more pics of birds that we’re seeing. List is currently at 363 species and counting!!

Unfortunately one of our CL’s (being used by the kids as they are perfect size / weight for small hands) has lost all its tension on one of the hinges so that hinge is now free hanging. Bino is still usable but makes it a pain in the neck to use properly. My first Swaro equipment failure in the field…..i suppose it had to happen at some point.

pics are African Fish Eagle, a Black backed heron, Tawny Eagle, Marshal Eagle, Dark Chanting Goshawk, Secretary Bird all taken with Nikon D500 and 18-300 Zoom lens.

Attachments

• DSC_3335.jpeg
    DSC_3335.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_3508.jpeg
    DSC_3508.jpeg
    686.8 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_3206.jpeg
    DSC_3206.jpeg
    462.6 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_2923.jpeg
    DSC_2923.jpeg
    205.9 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_3087.jpeg
    DSC_3087.jpeg
    557.7 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_2970.jpeg
    DSC_2970.jpeg
    403.6 KB · Views: 31
Really incredible creature that Sagittarius serpentarius !!!
Yeah they tend to be seen in pairs. Very interesting behaviour but hard to observe for long periods as they are constantly moving.
Guide said there’s a bit of a discussion going in this new ”politically correct world” as to whether the name should be changed…….…:rolleyes:

We’re now in the Masai Mara and the EL’s are perfect for this environment. The grasslands and savannah’s here roll as far as the eye can see so we set our focus to midpoint and it allows us to scan the foreground, midground and background in the same view….. the flat field of the EL allows the entire FOV to resolve enough for us to clearly identify game from termite mounds and low bushes which subsequently minimises the amount of scanning movement we need to do.

Attachments

• IMG_7898.jpeg
    IMG_7898.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7886.jpeg
    IMG_7886.jpeg
    263.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7903.jpeg
    IMG_7903.jpeg
    286.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7811.jpeg
    IMG_7811.jpeg
    247.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Ah see post #4 hinge hanging loose.:oops::D
Not a whinge - just stating an event thats occurred. Doesnt put me off Swaro at all. In fact this trip has simply reinforced my previous very conscious effort to stop buying additional binos to test / try and be happy with our EL’s… If anything we’ll probably pick up one more EL as a spare so wife and i both hv 2 each and call it a day :) all our EL’s are 8x magnification and again, no desire to go bigger, better, more mag, larger objective, etc etc….these are nigh on perfect….Once the kids are big enough to comfortably handle the EL 32’s we’ll make a decision on the CL Pockets.

Some more non bird shots of some of the game we’re seeing…..all shot on Nikon D500 with 18-300 lens and post processed.

Attachments

• DSC_3522.jpeg
    DSC_3522.jpeg
    648.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_3431.jpeg
    DSC_3431.jpeg
    584.7 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC_3436.jpeg
    DSC_3436.jpeg
    627.8 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_3636.jpeg
    DSC_3636.jpeg
    405.7 KB · Views: 20
Not a whinge - just stating an event thats occurred. Doesnt put me off Swaro at all. In fact this trip has simply reinforced my previous very conscious effort to stop buying additional binos to test / try and be happy with our EL’s… If anything we’ll probably pick up one more EL as a spare so wife and i both hv 2 each and call it a day :) all our EL’s are 8x magnification and again, no desire to go bigger, better, more mag, larger objective, etc etc….these are nigh on perfect….Once the kids are big enough to comfortably handle the EL 32’s we’ll make a decision on the CL Pockets.
Enjoy would love to visit myself.
My El's and yes I love mine too.
And yes mine are 8's also. Just need the swarovski atc 65 to compliment them.
Thanks for your pics really good photographs and photographer.
It's nice to sit back and relax in the evening looking at the photos you've taken that day and I must say they are awesome 👌

Attachments

• 20230527_162556.jpg
    20230527_162556.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • 20230527_162608.jpg
    20230527_162608.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Thx for sharing!

Love those sand 8x32s!

Mine are currently at swarovski, not for the coating, which the swarovski phone lady thought at first...
The diopter setting changed by itself somehow while it was locked, looking forward to have those again...

have a good time!

:rolleyes: Yes of course, the male should have been called "Executive bird".

I see a couple of other CL hinge-failure reports online. For a field fix, I would just use duct tape.
Believe it or not duct tape / gorilla tape has been quite hard to find here - even in larger supermarkets in Nairobi. My daughter seems to be coping well with the hinge being loose anyway. My son has the greater interest in wildlife and birdlife and thankfully his CL’s are performing well.

We’re now in the Masai Mara and the EL’s are perfect for this environment. The grasslands and savannah’s here roll as far as the eye can see so we set our focus to midpoint and it allows us to scan the foreground, midground and background in the same view….. the flat field of the EL allows the entire FOV to resolve enough for us to clearly identify game from termite mounds and low bushes which subsequently minimises the amount of scanning movement we need to do.

Waaaaaaa so nice!!!

Thx for sharing!

Love those sand 8x32s!

Mine are currently at swarovski, not for the coating, which the swarovski phone lady thought at first...
The diopter setting changed by itself somehow while it was locked, looking forward to have those again...

have a good time!

Yeah we bought the sand so it was easier to identify his n hers. Ive gone one step further and changed the zipper pulls and on my wife’s bino case so again, it’s easier to quickly pick up hers or mine given our IPD and diopter settings are slightly different.

Binos are a bit dirty and need a good spa along with the owners!

Attachments

• IMG_7955.jpeg
    IMG_7955.jpeg
    732.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7956.jpeg
    IMG_7956.jpeg
    737.5 KB · Views: 22

Users who are viewing this thread

Back