• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Enjoying the EL’s in their natural environment… (1 Viewer)

a few more bird pics…

An immature Verreaux Eagle, a White Bellied Bustard, a Saddle Billed Stork in front of a hippo, several tens of thousands of Lesser Flamingos, and the ubiquitous Superb Starling which seems to welcome and entertain us at every lodge and outdoor meal :D

Attachments

• DSC_3753.jpeg
    DSC_3753.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_3730.jpeg
    DSC_3730.jpeg
    477.1 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_3584.jpeg
    DSC_3584.jpeg
    357.8 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC_3269.jpeg
    DSC_3269.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC_2881.jpeg
    DSC_2881.jpeg
    441.1 KB · Views: 15
We’re now in the Masai Mara and the EL’s are perfect for this environment. The grasslands and savannah’s here roll as far as the eye can see so we set our focus to midpoint and it allows us to scan the foreground, midground and background in the same view….. the flat field of the EL allows the entire FOV to resolve enough for us to clearly identify game from termite mounds and low bushes which subsequently minimises the amount of scanning movement we need to do.
Ohh I see you're at Mara Serena! Really good choice. Enjoy the triangle, it's a very special place that I hold very close to my heart

Thanks for sharing those wonderful images with us....Enjoy those wonderful areas more and more punished by human activities.

Yes it’s been a few yrs since I’ve been back to Kenya and I’m surprised at the amount of development that has happened across the country. In Masai Mara and Lake Nakuru particularly, development seems to be pushing hard against the park / reserve boundaries and its not uncommon seeing town / city lights at night.

on a more positive note, there seems to be a lot more private Conservancies on the borders of the gazetted Parks and Reserves through Public / Private Partnerships and Community Trusts which is actually quarantining tracts of land for wildlife. In some respects this is good as it aims to preserve historical seasonal movements for wildlife, but it also means game is now more dispersed vs being concentrated in Parks and Reserves previously…

Ohh I see you're at Mara Serena! Really good choice. Enjoy the triangle, it's a very special place that I hold very close to my heart

Yeah Mara Serena this time - we wanted to spend a bit of time in the Mara triangle and also get away from the larger groups of tourists in the main Reserve. Unfortunately we missed the Migration by a few days but resident wildlife was amazing nonetheless. Bit light on bird life here compared to Samburu / Amboseli this time a of the yr though.

I think with big cats, there could be questions of who is “game” the cat or the primate with optics.

True - as long as the primate with optics stays in the car the Cats struggle to differentiate the smaller object from the larger one, but once you get out of your vehicle, you’re fair ”game”…...and yes there are knuckleheads that do that…..

The same type of knucklehead who does that with elephants.

Anyone who doesn't have enough sense to be afraid of a full-grown African elephant is too stupid to be walking around loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back