• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Butterflies 2022 (1 Viewer)

After Yellow-legged Tortoiseshell, warm days now bring quite a few Small Tortoiseshells and Brimstones. Lakes all still totally frozen however.

A lovely spring day here in London so we went to Kew Gardens. Good numbers of butterflies around with 7 male Brimstone, 6 Peacock, 4 Comma, a Red Admiral & two brief distant views of a white which remained unidentified.

Added Brimstone, an immaculate Comma, Peacock and Holly Blue today - lots of Small Tortoiseshell and as Aeshna5 says an unidentifiable White....

Saw peacock today. I guess holly blue or speckled wood will be the next one to look for. Or maybe grizzled skipper which is one of my main lifer targets this year. Going to hopefully try for all of them except chequered skipped

What are you getting this time of year?
Most common are Brimstones and Small Tortoiseshells, the next few days should add Peacock and Comma. More 'juicy' species on the wing in these days should include include Yellow-legged Tortoiseshell (was my first butterfly of the year on Monday), Large Tortoiseshell and Camberwell Beauty.

Really needs to be middle April before a whole mass of species start to fly.

About 20 or so Siberian Winter Damselflies today too.

Camberwell beauty would be worth the trip. I need to look into when’s optimal for the Baltic
Depends which species you are interested in, but can be superb from middle May through to end of July - in June and early July, not only is it possible to see over 50 species in a day on a top day (my record is 58), but the sheer spectacle of numbers can be mind-blowing (literally thousands of butterflies along forest tracks and meadows, sometimes hundreds of emperors etc).

Depends which species you are interested in, but can be superb from middle May through to end of July - in June and early July, not only is it possible to see over 50 species in a day on a top day (my record is 58), but the sheer spectacle of numbers can be mind-blowing (literally thousands of butterflies along forest tracks and meadows, sometimes hundreds of emperors etc).
will have to look at a may half term trip, are the logistics easy?

No, I don‘t have a picture as it was only flying by. The underside of the forewings was distinctly brighter than the hindwings so I assume it was a Small Tortoiseshell rather than a Large T.
I wasn’t aware that Small T. is very rare in that area and didn’t spend too much time looking at it, so maybe it was a Large T.
Must be the only area in NRW where Large T. is the more common one.
Just check in observation.org how many of the Small Tortoiseshells reported between Rhine, Ruhr and Teutoburgerwald this year have a picture (none!) and compare this to Large Tortoiseshell. Note that I did not add a picture to all of my observations.

In the hills (Bergerland, Teutoburgerwald, Sauerland, Eifel) Small Tortoiseshell is still common (and it may still be along the Rhine as well, but that is not that well supported).

Anyway: today I saw the first two female Brimstones, three weeks after the first males!

Nice early spring day, today's tally - ten Yellow-legged Tortoiseshells, three Large Tortoiseshells, 12 Small Tortoiseshells, one Comma, about 15 Brimstones.

Last edited:
Just check in observation.org how many of the Small Tortoiseshells reported between Rhine, Ruhr and Teutoburgerwald this year have a picture (none!) and compare this to Large Tortoiseshell. Note that I did not add a picture to all of my observations.

In the hills (Bergerland, Teutoburgerwald, Sauerland, Eifel) Small Tortoiseshell is still common (and it may still be along the Rhine as well, but that is not that well supported).
Wasn‘t aware of this. I was under the impression that they are by far the more common Tortoiseshell as I still remember my parents garden near Mönchengladbach being regularly visited by Small Tortoiseshells not too long ago and assumed that the declining numbers of them reflected the decline in butterflies in general in the area. But it looks like the number of Small T. is declining faster than others.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back