• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2023 (1 Viewer)

This afternoon caught up with a distant #53 Little Grebe, gripped by my neighbour two weeks ago, who saw one minutes before I bumped into him.

51F3DBBC-D1F9-4B7E-9E6B-B6D75F982A44.jpeg
B2A7E350-6795-458D-B537-2C1F319071D2.jpeg

Last edited:
Garden List Constable Prior here: 53 is correct because BH gave Blackcap the No 51 when it should’ve been No 52 (were you a Birding Prof of Mathematics BH?).
Clearly I wasn’t Richard….well spotted!
Goes hand in hand with your day job!….How you made your pile….all now revealed. 🤩

Attachments

• 15654AB7-CA8F-42D4-8636-8BA7F4AE5972.jpeg
    15654AB7-CA8F-42D4-8636-8BA7F4AE5972.jpeg
    559.4 KB · Views: 15
#15. Herring Gull
#16. Tree Sparrow
Ooh, that's two species I'll probably never see here Wari! The Nutcracker transformed from a 'heard only' to a sight record, two of them stopped at the top of nearby trees before going on down towards the river, odd behaviour for January as they usually stay higher up in the thick forest. On checking it's only the second time I've logged the species from the garden in January in 7 years here. Very murky (see photos!) but temperatures finally above freezing. Up to our necks in Brambling today and as last winter, a single Crested Tit visiting.
Late afternoon edit: my curiosity got the better of me just now when I spied an unusually large flock of crows around the farm visible down in the valley. Wondering what they were up to I got the 'scope out to discover it was a group of c60 Alpine Chough, better still, on the roof of one of the buildings was a Magpie. It's gone corvid crazy here today :)
34 Alpine Chough
35 Magpie

Attachments

• January 'cracker.jpg
    January 'cracker.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5158.JPG
    IMG_5158.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
  • Crested T.jpg
    Crested T.jpg
    842.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
January 29th
41. Grey Wagtail
- one over low with a bit of song
42. Buzzard - one over to the south
Just one behind my January 2022 total now.

24 species from the garden today but only ten counted for the RSPB garden birdwatch, with two Blackcaps the highlight. More interesting were several small groups of Herring Gulls all going high north, 23 in total over 4.25 hours.

Still haven't really spent a lot of time in the yard, but knocked of a few more at first light this morning before heading out to bird elsewhere.

26. Hairy Woodpecker
27. Cedar Waxwing
28. Yellow-rumped Warbler (both ssp.)
29. Wild Turkey
30. American Robin

I'm surrounded by ditches here, and there's one small pond within view of the garden, but until today I've never seen any Moorhens within sight of the garden. But today one was out at the side of the pond, as I walked.
I hoped it would still be out when I got back. It was.

48: Moorhen

I’ve double-checked my count 😉 and after yesterdays #54 Greylag Goose and todays (finally!) #55 Herring Gull I’m just over my average January figure. Fairly pleased as I missed the first 16 days. Still a couple of likely possibilities but not a lot of January left.

Highlight of the day I suppose was a Redwing feeding in leaf litter. Common as a flyover and frequent in the trees, but I don’t recal one ever on the deck before.

Marsh Tit on the feeders quite sporadically/regularly, if that makes sense.

View attachment FullSizeRender.MOV

Last edited:
A double jaw drop at both ends of day!
first one not a sp tick but a “diurnal” one at that (as seen from the house).
Circa 8.20 am, espied 2 brown fast “thing-ies” arrowing North creasing the tree tops as they went (clearly won’t see those again #### ##!….but they returned on the same trajectory South! before disappearing behind the trees,
“A-a-a-g-h” I cried!
Then to my total dismay! they returned North again, once more on the same “canopy creasing flight path now enabling me to ID them….Teal!!!
Have only ever seen them (most years none) flying as silhouettes at dusk/sunset…am still in awe of the sighting.😮
Then tonight at 5.20 pm only my third ever sighting in forty years, once again above the dip in the trees, the unmistakeable albeit in silhouette, flickering wingbeats with “feet out the back and long neck…Great Crested Grebe! no.50. 😮🍷

Rising sea levels starting to affect your garden Ken?
I'm just below the 36sp average January total but maybe tomorrow a Wren or Fieldfare will pop up........................

Rising sea levels starting to affect your garden Ken?
I'm just below the 36sp average January total but maybe tomorrow a Wren or Fieldfare will pop up........................
Am currently 200’ above sea level Richard, so hopefully…won’t be floating out just yet.😮
I wish you luck tomorrow for Wren, I’ve only had 2 occurrences this month, as compared to 4 Goldcrest.
I too will be pulling out all stops tomorrow, if only to beat my best ever January total (50).👍

One excellent addition at the end of January, with a flock of 13

35. Red Crossbill

visible from my yard with a scope. This flock has been continuing for weeks, maybe months, in my general area. Red Crossbills are exceptional at this altitude and habitat (2000ft/600m), with numbers not seen in this area before and unrecorded since 2017. My picture is really awful, but at least you can make out the bright red males and greenish females. And having crossbills and saguaro cactus in the same frame is neat!

Attachments

• 0129230803_HDR.jpg
    0129230803_HDR.jpg
    764.2 KB · Views: 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back