• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2023 (1 Viewer)

was apparently split three ways: Blue-headed Vireo - BirdForum Opus.
Which one did you see?

EDIT: Actually, the phrase 'have recently been split' from the article above refers to 1997!!
I saw that in the new Sibley. Old habits die hard, learned it as Solitary Vireo in '91-'92 from Audubon's Guide, my go-to for decades. What I've seen and heard here for 30 years as a regular Spring/Summer soundtrack is Vireo solitarius or the new fangled:) Blue Headed. It woke me this am. Currently on tap this grey, misty late morning: Hermit Thrush, Tufted Titmouse, Ovenbird, Common Yellowthroat, Red Breasted Nuthatch and its clan of 4 getting treated to suet from the feeder, Winter Wren, American Goldfinch, Brown Creeper, Dark-eyed Junco.

I think I saw a Great Spotted Woodpecker at my coconut feeder !!! By the time I got my binoculars to look it had gone.
Nice one Euan, we saw our first GSW juvenile this morning, following an adult female around and receiving beakfuls of ants for its breakfast! That makes juveniles of three woodpecker species in the garden in the past few weeks.
On a long hike two days ago we found a pair of Red - billed Chough nesting on a cliff also used by Alpine Chough, a potential garden tick of course. I can see the cliff from the house but it’s about 8kms away, does anyone know, have NASA finished with the Hubble telescope, I could make them an offer perhaps? ;)

Spring never picked up much at the house and summer is brutally hot, but I have added a few yard bird the last couple months...
47) Black-throated green warbler- one of our more commong migrant warblers
48) Common nighthawk- had a nice flock of about 5 one evening after some rain showers, local breeders
49) Great crested flycatcher- likely breeding in the neighborhood
50) Black-and-white warbler- fairly common, but striking, migrant
51) Blue-headed vireo- a nice surprise from the nursery, migrating through
52) Yellow-billed cuckoo- heard only from the driveway, probably breeding nearby
53) Yellow-crowned night heron- quick flyover, breeding at the nearby park
54) Bewick's wren- singing from a neighbor's roof. Resident birds that are common in my general, but not immediate, area

Not been doing the early morning slot for a while, now that migration is over, but I might reinstate it soon, as Tit flocks are becoming a more regular thing just lately, and who knows what might get caught up in them?

There has been quite a passage of Mediterranean Gulls along the coast, admittedly 80km from here, but a boy can dream, especially after seeing a spanking adult summer-plumaged bird just 6km downriver a few weeks ago. That was a 10K ⭕️✅ for me. Surprisingly I’ve only ever seen one in the Brecks too, very scarce around here…

…until today. Had a walk around the garden after lunch and noted a few Gulls drifting over, a summer-plumaged Black-headed Gull was right in front of the Sun, and then it called - it was a #87 Mediterranean Gull (#133 for the total garden list). All over in moments. Strangely I had Merlin running and it didn’t pick it up at all, so I switched to video on the phone and that picked it up straight away. I had a look over at the Cricket pitch, just in case it had dropped down, but I guess it just carried on down river. (Todays video)

View attachment IMG_8702.mov

Very likely to be the bird I had on the 8th June at Isleham But now in wing-moult. (Pic from 8/6/23)

IMG_8705.jpeg

Last edited:
No new species for the year but the first Common Buzzard juv. on the wing just now, exactly the same date as last year’s first. A record number of Blue Tit earlier, nearly all juvs in one group, I counted 28 as they flew from one cherry tree to another one 20m away!

We actually had a new species, on Sunday at 5:15 in the morning (still, or already, 22 Celsius) some (22.) Graylag Geese flew over; I not quite sure where they thought to be going and why. I turned around and actually didn't think about it again until now :oops:

We actually had a new species, on Sunday at 5:15 in the morning (still, or already, 22 Celsius) some (22.) Graylag Geese flew over; I not quite sure where they thought to be going and why. I turned around and actually didn't think about it again until now :oops:
They seem to wander between the various lakes throughout the year Frank, perhaps these were macho males that don’t help with the rearing of offspring!
July is when I hope to see the odd species that is not normally present here but wandering after breeding elsewhere, this morning provided one, I heard it calling then it graciously flew right past me between the Elm and the fruit trees

79 Lesser Spotted Woodpecker

Hard to find a pattern for this species’ occurrences, the first one we ever had was in aDecember snowstorm! (Edit: on checking later I find that we’ve never had the species here outside the Nov-Feb period!). I’ve now logged all the six woodpecker species possible here for the year.
Common Swift movements continue over the last few days with the odd Alpine Swift tagging along, other aerial acrobats will be passing this afternoon when the helicopters following the Tour de France will be trying not to collide whilst filming the suffering cyclists making their way up to the Col de La Croix Fry!

Last edited:
Lucky old you Richard!
Had my only LSW on Feb.6th this year, more or less outside my back gate (in the wood) flying over my neighbour’s house.😩👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back