• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2023 (2 Viewers)

I know things are always bigger in the US of A, but a Wren that's bigger than a Shrike, I never knew!
Really cold with snow flurries this morning so I'm trying out my new toy/Christmas/Birthday present for the next five years from the warmth of the kitchen.
Yes, I've finally joined the 'Bridge Club' ;)
All the birds around the feeders scattered when this handsome chap arrived, 20 minutes later he's waiting still for an over bold passerine to make a move...
In witch subdivision of "Bridge club" you joined? 😁

No great news from my garden. I have the regulars, Great tit, Blue tit, Marsh tit, Tree sparrow, 2 Great spotted woodpecker (male and female) and some Blackbirds. A few Bramblings stopped by last week, but have gone elsewhere. Likewise 3 Bullfinch and 2 Goldfinch. Up to recently the weather has been above freezing so no great pressure for the birds. Now we are down to -8C at night and only -2C in the day so hopefully there will be more birds to see soon. A Hawfinch arrived this afternoon.

Finally free of all the important winter preparation tasks and maintenance, today was to be the day I would be able to get down to Geneva to see the long-staying (well, a week) Surf Scoter, which would be a rare lifer for me. You guessed, it wasn't seen yesterday nor today, so I have been 'Mr Grumpy at Home' today.
A decent fall of snow overnight and continuing snow showers on and off during the day has seen quite a bit of action around the feeders and in the nearby trees, increased numbers of Brambling (c25) and Yellowhammer (c40) and a group of c15 Hawfinch dobbing about. The Sparrowhawk caught something near the feeders, it seemed a dark colour in its talons so perhaps a Chaffinch, hopefully not the Middle Spotted Woodpecker! Trying to get used to the camera despite the very gloomy conditions, a few pics of some of today's visitors attached:

Attachments

• DSCN0073.JPG
    DSCN0073.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 21
  • DSCN0089.JPG
    DSCN0089.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 22
  • DSCN0104.JPG
    DSCN0104.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 19
  • DSCN0107.JPG
    DSCN0107.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 18
  • DSCN0120.JPG
    DSCN0120.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 20
Still trying not to blame my missing the Geneva Surf Scoter on my wish to stay relatively 'Green' with my birding (I had neen waiting for my wife to return to work there after her week off that coincided with its stay :mad:. I ditched my principles and drove to the village and back to post a birthday card this morning (well, there was torrential rain, ankle deep slushy snow and thick cloud after all..).
I'm glad I did, for as I exited the car on returning home I heard a relatively unfamiliar buzzing call (ie., not heard anywhere this year) and a small finch flew off. I was pretty sure it was a Redpoll, and fortunately it returned later with the Goldfinch flock and perched briefly in the cherry tree (not long enough to achieve anything other than a, ahem, 'record shot' though). After a four year gap with no sightings, there was a late October one last year so perhaps it will become a regular late Autumn/early winter visitor (only fouir records in 7 years so far). I'm now just one short of equalling my best ever year here, fingers crossed! By the way, should we now call cabaret a subspecies of Mealy Redpoll, I notice the 3rd edition Collins does but eBird doesn't. Time to lump the lot!

89 (Lesser) Redpoll

Attachments

• Sizerin 30.11.23.jpg
    Sizerin 30.11.23.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
Yes the “polls” are around this year, found possibly the same nine I had in the garden earlier (on Sunday) today, circa a mile away.
Oddly enough, they chose the “same” lowly birch as last year’s dozen, perhaps the catkins have a certain “je ne sais quoi” 😮

Attachments

• IMG_9242.jpeg
    IMG_9242.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Tuesday wasn't a dedicated birding day, but by sunset there were two new additions to the all-time yard list! That hasn't happened since 20 September. Earlier in the morning, I was doing a touch of work outside before running an errand, and heard a tiny chipping sound coming from the blooming Texas ranger bushes. A quick look (and that distinctive sharp call) confirmed my long-awaited female

132. Costa's Hummingbird (new yard species #143)

The day got better, though. Around lunchtime I opened the back door and the resident Inca Dove pod exploded from under a bush. But wait... one of them was bright rufous and just a bit smaller! Thankfully the group settled down nearby and I enjoyed fantastic scope views of a rare

133. Ruddy Ground Dove (new yard species #144)

Ruddy Ground Dove is increasing as a late fall and winter vagrant from Mexico, but any sighting is still noteworthy and this one was in drier habitat than usual for them. For me it felt like a full lifer, since the species is on my list from a Costa Rica trip but I have no recollection of seeing it!

I got a few digiscoped photos through the fence of this exquisite little dove.

Attachments

• RUGD_11:28:23.jpg
    RUGD_11:28:23.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 8
  • RUGD1_11:28:23.jpg
    RUGD1_11:28:23.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 8
  • RUGD2_11:28:23.jpg
    RUGD2_11:28:23.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 7
With overnight temps on freezing, I was hopeful this am…that “the gods” might show favour once more….and they did with a bang!
Circa 40 Redwings on my Ash (biggest count this year) viewed from the downstairs kitchen window, as I looked up into the heavens for perhaps a hard weather “Snipe” movement, when out of the corner of my eye I espied a “smaller mousey” movement on my conifer trunk…..Ye Gods!…Treeper….no.89.😊

Attachments

• IMG_9251.jpeg
    IMG_9251.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
With overnight temps on freezing, I was hopeful this am…that “the gods” might show favour once more….and they did with a bang!
Circa 40 Redwings on my Ash (biggest count this year) viewed from the downstairs kitchen window, as I looked up into the heavens for perhaps a hard weather “Snipe” movement, when out of the corner of my eye I espied a “smaller mousey” movement on my conifer trunk…..Ye Gods!…Treeper….no.89.😊
You're nearly at the 90 mark like me Ken, what's the most likely species to get you there? Here I'm missing Water Pipit and Rock Bunting but it's getting late in the year for either now..

You're nearly at the 90 mark like me Ken, what's the most likely species to get you there? Here I'm missing Water Pipit and Rock Bunting but it's getting late in the year for either now..
Well Richard, I’ve given up on Sprow!…but I espied 5 Egyptian Geese on the North lake a mile away + good nos.of Shoveller (if only) and if the hard weather continues I’m hopeful for Snipe, let’s pray to the gods for no.90 into which ever shape it falls.🙏

Deep snow continuing, excellent at my feeders now, the Yellowhammer flock at the grain feeder sitting nicely at 110 now, so I set the disperser to chuck out an extra helping of grain in the afternoon. And very pleasing, 10 Tree Sparrows joined the flock today, adding a real dose of character to the mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back