• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2024 (2 Viewers)

I'm not keeping a 'seen from apartment' year list, but I've had four additions so far to my total list (from Dec 22) this year, the latest this morning...
04/01/2024 - Glossy Ibis: a flock of around 70(!) flying quite low to the south during wet weather conditions, presumably heading for the salt pans, although it would be an exceptional record for the local sites
01/03/2024 - Little Egret: single flying north
02/03/2024 - Blue Tit: not very frequent in the Algarve coast so wasn't on my radar, foraging in nearby carob trees
11/03/2024 - White Stork: in contrast to the above, a 'what took you so long' tick, given you see them often soaring over Tavira and the nearest nest isn't very far away

Top of my wanted list in the attainable category is little owl, which came pretty close last year, but haven't heard one nearby yet this year - and black-winged kite, which I've seen less than 10 minutes walk away.

In terms of winter visitors, common chiffchaffs were still around as recently as yesterday, and I saw a black redstart and blackcap last week, but crag martins have been gone a while.

It appears a Lynx had been waiting here. Attacked at this point, the deer had then been dragged 50-60 metres into the forest, under some fallen trees, but over one fallen tree, a show of the strength of the cat. After that, the Lynx dined in relative seclusion. Not much left of the deer at this point, probably also scavenged by Foxes et al.

Attachments

• IMG_20240311_160321256_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240311_160321256_HDR.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240311_160222873.jpg
    IMG_20240311_160222873.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 8
A mix of cleaning up some winter residents and enjoying some spring migrants was the story for me today. Hawkwatching was very difficult with clear blue skies and excellent thermal lift, but a few birds could be picked out. Several flocks of very high swallows were likely Violet-green, but too far to confirm.

20. Rock Pigeon (Feral)
21. Verdin
22. Black Vulture
23. Turkey Vulture
24. Red-tailed Hawk
25. Harris's Hawk
26. Peregrine Falcon
27. Prairie Falcon
28. Common Raven
29. Tree Swallow
30. Orange-crowned Warbler
31. Northern Cardinal
32. Sharp-shinned Hawk

I'm still waiting on the Common Black Hawks, which have arrived in Arizona and peak all too quickly from the 10th to 15th or so of this month.

As another leaden grey rain filled day emerged,
with Redwing finishing off the last of the Holly berries, think my garden earliest coming a day after an “on patch” bird seen ystrdy.
A non singing Chiffy through. No.60.😊

Attachments

• DSC06721.jpeg    Redwing3..jpeg
    DSC06721.jpeg Redwing3..jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
  • DSC06987.jpeg   Best Redwing3..jpeg
    DSC06987.jpeg Best Redwing3..jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
While the rest of you seem to be clocking up the Spring arrivals our corner of the Alps remains cool and damp, snow falling just a couple of hundred metres higher up so perhaps it's not surprising that my last addition was back in February. Birdsong on the increase though, and the Brambling are starting to look very smart (see the Talk Talk tribute photo attached ;) ).
A particularly dingy-looking Treecreeper caught my attention an hour ago, opening the window I heard the song, confirming my suspicions, a male

52 Short-toed Treecreeper

shuffling mouse-like up the neighbours' cherry tree. I saw none until September last year after the excitement of a first breeding up here in 2022, hopefully it will stick around and attract a mate!

Attachments

• g des j 12.3.24.jpg
    g des j 12.3.24.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 7
  • G de j 12.3.24.jpg
    G de j 12.3.24.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
  • Colour of Spring.jpg
    Colour of Spring.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • gr d j 12.3.24.jpg
    gr d j 12.3.24.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 8
While the rest of you seem to be clocking up the Spring arrivals our corner of the Alps remains cool and damp, snow falling just a couple of hundred metres higher up so perhaps it's not surprising that my last addition was back in February. Birdsong on the increase though, and the Brambling are starting to look very smart (see the Talk Talk tribute photo attached ;) ).
A particularly dingy-looking Treecreeper caught my attention an hour ago, opening the window I heard the song, confirming my suspicions, a male

52 Short-toed Treecreeper

shuffling mouse-like up the neighbours' cherry tree. I saw none until September last year after the excitement of a first breeding up here in 2022, hopefully it will stick around and attract a mate!

Ahh!…Bram with Bling and Whawfinch…meet the “Terminator”🤣

Attachments

• DSC05646.jpeg    Little and Large 3..jpeg
    DSC05646.jpeg Little and Large 3..jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 7
No signs of spring here, avian-wise, Richard, but I saw my 1st bumblebee today.
Nice to hear Blackbirds singing though.
It's a thrush sp singing contest here H each dawn, even a Fieldfare joined in the chorus yesterday but I suspect the bird choirmaster (if there was such a thing..) would throw him out, not blessed with the melodic tones that Blackbird, Song and Mistle Thrush are. Someone heard a Redwing in song near Geneva the other day, I assume you hear them start to sing on their northbound migration stopovers in UK?
Not one, but two

53 Chiffchaff

flycatching this morning, earliest ever here (by one day!). Rain forecast tonight so a good chance of Ring Ousel grounded in the fields tomorrow perhaps....

Seemingly this am, my Redwings have departed after a 5 month stay 😩which was the cue for my foy “singing Chiffy!” in the grdn.
Also my displaying female Sprawk up 3 times in 15 mins!…which in turn seemed to coincide with only my 2nd for year flyover Peregrine….what might the future hold.😮

Attachments

• IMG_0665.mov
    10.8 MB
Signs of spring today: fighting Chaffinches, pair of Sparrowhawks about, 2 Pied Wagtails returned to territory, Rooks displaying.
Yes, Richard, occasionally heard the Redwings sing before they leave - a flock of 50+ this pm around, Ken.
Warm & sunny, Buff-tailed Bumbles about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back