• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2024 (5 Viewers)

Do you “bird” on your knees then Pete?🤣
No silly, Pete lives in a bungalow Ken ;)
I think I’m actually the highest Garden lister on here (1000m asl).
A Brambling this morning was the first for nearly a week, three Black Redstart simultaneously including the first songster, and another plumage Year Tick for the garden, a female House Sparrow, exciting times……

No silly, Pete lives in a bungalow Ken ;)
I think I’m actually the highest Garden lister on here (1000m asl).
A Brambling this morning was the first for nearly a week, three Black Redstart simultaneously including the first songster, and another plumage Year Tick for the garden, a female House Sparrow, exciting times……

I’m about 800m short of that Richard!
Envy you the Sparrow, more than two years since my last.😩 However, my 19th Red Kite over this am and I’ve lost count of the Buzbys and Sprawks.
More seemingly constantly vocal Chiffies this year than ever before, hoping it’s an omen for the rest of the coming🤞Wobblers!
Not getting any decent shots of the Bops this year apart from Kestrel, cursed cloud cover seems to have prevailed most days.

Attachments

• DSC07880.jpeg     Kes 1..jpeg
    DSC07880.jpeg Kes 1..jpeg
    712.6 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC07820.jpeg   Pale phase Buzby5..jpeg
    DSC07820.jpeg Pale phase Buzby5..jpeg
    23.8 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC07838.jpeg   Pale phase Buzby1..jpeg
    DSC07838.jpeg Pale phase Buzby1..jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 9
Envy you the Sparrow, more than two years since my last.😩

Seriously? House Sparrows are by far the most frequent and consistent birds we see here in Zurich. Generally, there's a flock of 6-10 hanging out in one of the bushes and visiting different feeders in the surrounding gardens. There are additional flocks if I walk up or down the street.

I keep scanning the flocks, you never know when an Italian Sparrow makes it over the Alps -- it must happen occasionally, and it seems very easy to miss.....

I’m about 800m short of that Richard!
I'm about 994 m short of Richards level...

and about 70 m from sea coast line.

At 16.3. three days earlier than last year:

#22. Wood Pigeon - Today it got two "partners"

Also today one garden lifer (tracks I had seen):

Very hansom and big Red Fox - only 3rd mammal species for this year

I’m not sure that Ken has a head for heights, I suspect he’s ‘gone a bit Imperial’ whereas the rest of us are metric Wikipedia states altitude of Woodford Green is c200 ft not 200m) 🤔

I keep scanning the flocks, you never know when an Italian Sparrow makes it over the Alps -- it must happen occasionally, and it seems very easy to miss.....
It can happen Frank, see the link attached to see how my obsessive checking of the sparrows at our previous place struck gold (type Moineau cisalpin in the box above the 'Toutes les espèces' box):

That's awesome!!

Where was that exactly, still in Haute-Savoi (but lower) I assume?
Saint Sixt (more precisely the former ski station at Orange), above La Roche sur Foron at 1100m, it was quite a celebrity and several birders came to twitch it. It lived to be a good age too. My theory was that it had got trapped in an Italian lorry and flew off when it arrived nearby (there's a transport company in La Roche that does International freight work). My other claim to fame whilst there was finding a Great Snipe one March morning in the fields above the house (so it didn't quite get on the garden list). Only one person (Mike (Bittern on Birdforum)) was quick enough to come and twitch it before the snow set in.

Despite being in what's considered "lower" Sonoran Desert, I'm still at least 600m (2,000ft) above sea level. Compared with much of Arizona, that's low.

One addition to the year list gave excellent scope views as it surveyed a field for its next victim. Gotta love shrikes...

41. Loggerhead Shrike

The camera is still a work in progress. I was happy to at least get something of the speedy Violet-green Swallows migrating past. A Lesser Goldfinch stuck around longer, as did the shrike (but that photo is digiscoped from my phone).

Attachments

• VGSW_3:18:24.JPG
    VGSW_3:18:24.JPG
    864 KB · Views: 7
  • VGSW1_3:18:24.JPG
    VGSW1_3:18:24.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • LEGO_3:18:24.JPG
    LEGO_3:18:24.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 6
  • LOSH_3:18:24.jpg
    LOSH_3:18:24.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8
On a leaden grey, sat sitting in tut chair, when I heard a rare sound!
Not quite believing my ears, as I deftly reached for the camera, just as it “periscoped” its head above the pyrracanthia…eyeballing me, alas! only to fly off before I could get my eye to the viewfinder…calling “cheap-cheap” as it went. No.61 female House Sparrow! circa 2+ years since my last.😮😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back