• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2024 (10 Viewers)

Just saw a large Sparrowhawk fly over whilst I was on the phone and looking out the lounge window. So long since I added anything new!
The floodgates should soon be opening Dan, nothing new here but saw a Crag Martin just 5kms away yesterday and our Red Kite pair have returned (3 more high flying northbound yesterday were surely migrating though).

A fest of Sprawks and Buzzards soaring with Red Kite this beautiful crisp March day, Goldfinches tinkling, Redwing snatching the last of the yellow holly berries and Blackcap bathing in the pond.๐Ÿคฉ

Attachments

• IMG_0523.jpeg
    IMG_0523.jpeg
    316.1 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC06203.jpeg        Buzby and Corvid.jpeg
    DSC06203.jpeg Buzby and Corvid.jpeg
    31 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC06073.jpeg    Rdwng.27..jpeg
    DSC06073.jpeg Rdwng.27..jpeg
    836.7 KB · Views: 7
Relief at 5.30 am, an unscheduled trip to the bathroom with white fronts down, followed on with White Fronts over calling! No.58.๐Ÿคฃ

Better late than never, at last!โ€ฆ.a pair of Mandarin overโ€ฆ.no.59. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Last edited:
Turned cold over the last week, minus 6 or 7 C. Consequently, no real melt of any of the waterbodies and a whole bunch of birds not yet appearing. A little open water on the meadow pools this weekend however ... and with it, the first ducks of the year - four Mallard, a pair of Goldeneye and three Goosanders.

Also Woodcock still present, a yodelling flock of nineteen Cranes upsetting the neighbourhood pairs and still Grey-headed Woodpeckers using the feeders, the pair actually checking out a nestbox today.

Added one more late evening, a distant Tawny Owl calling ... almost drowned out by heavy movement of honking geese going over in the dark

52. Mallard
53. Goldeneye
54. Goosander
55. Tawny Owl

Last edited:
Bright (well, it was actually still kind of dark) and early this morning, I heard some calling gulls flying over. I am far from a gull expert, so no clue what they were. The bed was warm, and the flesh weak, so I didn't budge. Luckily, then this morning I heard them again while drinking coffee, and I could have a look. (XXI) Yellow Legged Gull. This afternoon, there were also Black Headed Gulls flying over, but I was at~ 100 meters from our place. Will keep observing.

My posting on here seems to be getting less and less frequent. I think a lot of that is down to the often inclement weather - not allowing me to be out in the garden - and not conducive to the birds turning up. Certainly the relatively mild winter has meant some hoped for winterers are missing.

Enough mithering, what about the birds you say?

Yesterday was the first decent, bright, morning for such a while, so I made the effort to get out in the garden early (for me) and was handsomely rewarded.

5 new birds for the month, (including Kingfisher, Coal Tit and Fieldfare) 2 of which were new for the year, 3 flyover #60 Lesser Redpoll, & new for the garden completely, a heard only #61 Redshank. (this makes the total for the garden 136)

Iโ€™ve been surprised that I havenโ€™t had Redshank before, they are usually fairly common in the valley either side of me. This winter, being so wet and the levels being so high though has seen a complete absence locally.

Later in the day I went down river (c.9km) to the closest and best Wader habitat and lo and behold, a pair of Redshank. Itโ€™s tempting to think they may have been the bird(s) over the garden earlier. Also there were the first Avocets of the year, now thatโ€™s another bird that surprises me in its garden absence, maybe this will be the year?

Later in the afternoon, when going to the door to collect a parcel a few Redwing flew over, another month tick, but Iโ€™m woefully down on where I should be.

Last week I was fortunate to find a White-tailed Eagle a few km East of me locally, this week it has started wandering around and was a few km to the North today. From satellite data, Iโ€™ve already had 3 over the house, one of these days it would be nice to clap eyes on one of themโ€ฆ

Little to no opportunity for garden birding for the next week. By then things really ought to be hotting up. My average by the end of March is 72 and best is 77 - Iโ€™ve got a lot of catching up to do.

This morning I didn't have to leave my bed to identify the new bird species for this year ... I got to admit, it was rather easy though. (XXII) Starling :ROFLMAO:

This morning I didn't have to leave my bed to identify the new bird species for this year ... I got to admit, it was rather easy though. (XXII) Starling :ROFLMAO:

Iโ€™ve only had a singleton over this year and yet there are ancestral Starling and House Sparrow (havenโ€™t had one of these for c2years) โ€œHangoutsโ€, 350m in either direction from my front door! ๐Ÿ˜ฉ

Starlings are excellent birds. I can basically choose exactly how many I want ๐Ÿ™‚ ...put up five nestboxes, five pairs/put up ten nest boxes, ten pairs, etc. Starlings are still just arriving these days, but up a new box a few days ago and already a pair is having a nose around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back