• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Habicht with sticky rubber (1 Viewer)

They have spent some time in cases/bags and at night(!). Interesting theory about the dark but I have yet to be convinced. I have many old USB cables, screwdrivers, a pair of headphones (43 years old) , etc. many of which have spent most of the time in the dark and show none of these symptoms. In fact the only thing I can recall dissolving into a sticky mess are the belts on a 40 year old cassette recoder ("They all do that, Sir" :)).

This is so disappointing..... It seems to be a 'reasonably' common problem on various different models, and now even the Curio.
I thought that those Habichts were bombproof, yet here we are ..... always wanted a pair, but this holds me back.
Then there's the focus knob appearing to be glued on the Curios as well, which has also caused the occasional issue.
And this daft field pro strap set up, which doesn't seem to have made many friends....
Swaro have dropped the ball.
What a shame..... because their reputation used to be enviable.

It is something that it shouldn't have happened. I wouldn't be happy at all if that would happen to my binoculars.
But I would absolutely start by calling Swarovski for them to keep up with their after-sales reputation. (Or do it via a local official dealer.) In fact, their quite legendary after-sales service/reputation is one of the reason to consider buying Swarovski optics, new or even second hand. Many have great experience about their service (even when second hand, old models, or (from a story I once heard) in another continent than originally bought). (It's the reason why they keep high second hand value.)
And your binoculars are only a few years old.
With the DIY-work done on these binoculars in the meantime, I would understand though if Swarovski wouldn't be as "helpful for free" anymore as they usually are.
It's a bit surreal to be honest. Well, as "just a tool", it's fine replacing the leatherette yourself with some tape etc.: it won't impact the view etc. But the leatherette Habicht are not the first binoculars that I would think of of being bought purely for their functional qualities... If, on the opposite, one would worry about or consider also the 'value' of the binoculars, it is very likely that the shipping costs would have been way lower than the decrease in (second hand) value caused by the DIY-intervention.
I would still call Swarovski...
Also, regarding shipping costs, you might only have to pay for the one-way shipment to the importer/intermediate/some official dealer in your country, depending on how they further take care of the matter. (Though your binoculars might be away for quite a few weeks. But that would be little time/price to pay for the result, I think.)

Last edited:
This is so disappointing..... It seems to be a 'reasonably' common problem on various different models, and now even the Curio.
I thought that those Habichts were bombproof, yet here we are ..... always wanted a pair, but this holds me back.
Then there's the focus knob appearing to be glued on the Curios as well, which has also caused the occasional issue.
And this daft field pro strap set up, which doesn't seem to have made many friends....
Swaro have dropped the ball.
What a shame..... because their reputation used to be enviable.
I think it is probably too early to say regarding the Curio's armour. The discolouration wouldn't ever be noticeable on the black version and it is in any event purely a cosmetic issue (and may be a very isolated case). The looseness has largely vanished and I think it was due to using acetone on the surface to try to remove the discolouring (Swarovski's suggestion by the way not me randomly trying any old chemical) and the armour returned to normal when the effects wore off. Not to say there may not be a long term issue but no proof as yet....

The Habicht did take me by surprise as the leatherette always felt very solid and unlikely to succumb in the same way as others. That has been disappointing.

Personally I have never understood what all the fuss was about the Field Pro. Seems fine to me.

This field pro system is amazing.... such a step forward... I love it...

Better????😘
Lol!😅

Clearly a disciple of G Marx Esq!

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."

More sauce than Lea and Perrins!

Even with the degraded leatherette in my Habicht wrapped in packing tape. I'm not complaining much. Why. Because the lens have no molds or fungus! All my other binos or scoping scopes have molds in the lens. The Habicht is the only one I own with nitrogen inside and perhaps the only bino I'll ever own with nitrogen. So is it true that all Habicht with nitrogen has never gotten molds? I assume molds mostly occur inside the barrel and molds can't occur on the outside lens, right?

Having these Habitcht with the totally degraded coating + you say, all your other binoculars infected with molds !!!!... 'Luck' is really not on your side !!! 🤨

@AegisEag
I dont know if it was written before in this thread but DEET containing insect repellents act as resolver for rubber, syntatic fabrics and leather.
Since you currently live in a hot country with high humility I quess you are faceing a lot of mosquitos so you check the ingredients of your insect repellent.

No. I've been so busy at work that the Habicht and other cheap binos were kept inside cabinet for 4 years. No DEET exposure even at my unit. So the theory darkness has to do with plasticizer migration is sound. While all my optics got molds, the Habicht is totally molds free, so this proves Nitrogen binos are superb. It is a keeper for lifetime.

Look. If darkness or humidity is not the cause, then there is a last possibility. Radiation from uranium ores beneath the apartment? Or since I know many who sees enriched Uranium as more valuable than gold and so many groups looking for it for it, perhaps some attempt enriching it and there is source near my place? When I have time from work and budget, I'd get a cheap Geiger counter and measure the background radiation, it may be what's disintegrating the Habicht body if thousands owned it all over the world (how many were made?), and only less than 10 encountered it.

enrichment.png

Hi AegisEag,

Until you're certain, these would seem to be a sensible precaution:

View attachment 1552092

In terms of the risk vs price balance, they seem to be a no brainer.
From: https://www.amazon.com/Men-Underwear-Boxer-Briefs-Anti-Radiation/dp/B0921H15J3

John
Perfik!

Or better still, bin the 3M tape or whatever today's covering is and glue these magnificent budgie smugglers to the bare metal Habichts.

Elegant, practical and with enough left over materiel to keep the whole house safe from radiation and to wipe up the odd spot of mould.

I would only add one thing...some reflective tape to locate the bino's in the dark as they will not glow by themselves with such an effective covering.

Deus mihi vires.

This is one of the strangest "binoculars related" threads that I have read here on birdforum.
I know nothing about radiation risks, but if you would fear that radiation within your house could be the cause of damage to your binoculars, I would have other (much higher priority) concerns than for my binoculars... 🤨

This is one of the strangest "binoculars related" threads that I have read here on birdforum.
I know nothing about radiation risks, but if you would fear that radiation within your house could be the cause of damage to your binoculars, I would have other (much higher priority) concerns than for my binoculars... 🤨
Methinks we are being taken for a ride which, whilst mildly amusing, has wasted the time of some very well meaning members who have had the courtesy to reply.

Noli pascere troglodytam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back