• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have You Seen Any of These Birds? (2 Viewers)

I wish Alan! 3 grippers there. I know someone who has seen all 3 of them but I doubt is on here.
I'm off to look for at least 2 of those species in a couple of months time so hopefully that will change...

James

Has anyone on here seen:

Crested Argus?
Edwards Pheasant?
Black Wood Partridge?

Cheers, alan

That would be one amazing Gallinaceous trifecta! Good look to James with those. Don't you just wish you had the time and resources to hang out in the southern Asian rainforests to look for these birds?

I wish Alan! 3 grippers there. I know someone who has seen all 3 of them but I doubt is on here.

James

James
FL? I knew he'd seen 2 of the 3. Good luck with the search - and allow plenty of time - an invisibility cloak would be a good idea for the Argus (see if the Argus will lend you his!)

cheers, a

Good guess, all in different countries too!
I think I'll require plenty of luck though feeling quietly confident about one of them, at least Edward's Pheasant has been found a couple of times in the last year (by hunters, typically) and I can't stop hearing that argus every time I enter central Vietnam.

Cheers,

James

Has anyone on here seen:

Crested Argus?
Edwards Pheasant?
Black Wood Partridge?

Cheers, alan

Smug bu**er strikes again :t:
Crested Argus in Teman Negara NP, Pen. Malaysia, 1995 ( brief but definitive views of a male - "lots" of calling going on, but a total bitch to see ).
Black Wood Partridge at Bako NP and Samunsan Wildlife Sanctuary, Sarawak, 1998 ( 2 birds in Bako, which is very close to Kuching so is easy to get to, and 11 in Samunsan - but that was over 9 days ) and 5 birds c.25 miles south of Marudi, on the middle reaches of Sungai Baram, Sarawak, 2001.
Chris
p.s. As we're on "Chickens" has anyone had Hainan Tree Partridge, Swamp Francolin, Snow Mountain Quail or ( and I know this one's probably highly unlikely ) Brown-eared Pheasant - in the wild.
C

Last edited:
Well done with the partridges Chris. I wish I was birding Malaysia pre mid-90's when there was still accessible swamp and kerangas forest - Samunsan has literally nothing left now, completely cut-over within the last 8 years, likewise with Bako - more-or-less just mangrove forest there now.

I've seen Swamp Francolin, common and easy to view at Kaziranga. Haven't had chance with the other 3 yet though Brown Eared Pheasant can be easy, can be tricky 4 hours west of Beijing or if you head a bit further west apparently there is a very good site for them.
Fairly sure there will be one or two Chinese birders on here who will have seen Hainan Partridge as it is quite common at Bawangling.

James

A few Sundaic "uber-megas" for the list, Larry. Hoogwerf's Pheasant, Stresmann's Scops Owl and Blue-wattled Bulbul. Javan Hawk Eagle and Javan Frogmouth s.s. are rarely reported and very scarce.
Chris

Well done with the partridges Chris. I wish I was birding Malaysia pre mid-90's when there was still accessible swamp and kerangas forest - Samunsan has literally nothing left now, completely cut-over within the last 8 years, likewise with Bako - more-or-less just mangrove forest there now.

James

I'm begining to wonder if I'm the kiss of death for large areas of the world, James. A few years after I've visited they're either logged out, burnt or otherwise "armagedon-ised". Bit of a bu**er, I know, but, hpoefully, it should get more people out there, before I visit!
Chris

Damn. Just started to look through the new "Nightjars" book and James has a rather cute photo of Javan Frogmouth s.s. in it! Good one James.
Chris

Hoogwerf's Pheasant, Stresmann's Scops Owl and Blue-wattled Bulbul, Javan Hawk Eagle and Javan Frogmouth have been added to the "not seen" list.

A few Sundaic "uber-megas" for the list, Larry. Hoogwerf's Pheasant, Stresmann's Scops Owl and Blue-wattled Bulbul. Javan Hawk Eagle and Javan Frogmouth s.s. are rarely reported and very scarce.
Chris

Three uber-megas there Chris, nice one, but are they good species?!
I would be very interested in your thoughts on the bulbul as looking at the specimens I can't see why they aren't just apparent Black-headed Bulbuls (I have seen birds in Kalimantan that look like the specimens but call and song is identical to BHB).
I think Hoogwerf's can definitely be put on the dodgy-splits list - didn't realise it was split on the list here!

Cheers,

James

Dunno if they are "universally" accepted, James, but until more work is done, particularly in the field ( or, in the case of the owl, someone see's another! ) I'd be prepared to accept them, purely on conservation grounds, if nothing else. Photo's I've seen of the Pheasant look quite distinct anyway. As for the Bulbul ( which I know very little about ) - abbarent birds - bit of a cop out! ;)
Chris

Last edited:
Not sure if below info counts as I've not personally seen the species.

There's been a few sightings every year of Kungwe Apalis in Nyungwe Forest in Rwanda that I know of although I personally consistently dip on it :(

One of the guides, also at Nyungwe says he's seen the Rockefeller's Sunbird twice - this was at least 3-4yrs ago and it seems that sadly no photos were taken either.

Thanks for the update info, Marcell.

My purpose with this thread was to have people who subscribe to it add a bird (or birds) that they thought no one visiting the thread would have seen. Then if someone visiting the thread reported that they had seen any of these species, I would move them from the "not seen" list to the "seen" list (Page 2, post # 39).

So, until someone visiting this thread reports that they have seen the Kungwe Apalis or the Rockefeller's Sunbird they will remain on the "not seen" list.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back