• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have You Seen Any of These Birds? (1 Viewer)

Cool Larry - will keep that in mind. Have got a lot of forest birding coming up soon in Uganda so might bump into at least the Apalis (I hope!)

You can put Worthen's Sparrow on the "not seen" list Larry
Chris
( Now I've said that hundreds will be posting to say they've seen 98% of the population ;) ;) )
C.

Hoogwerf's Pheasant, Stresmann's Scops Owl and Blue-wattled Bulbul, Javan Hawk Eagle and Javan Frogmouth have been added to the "not seen" list. (Page 2, post # 39)

I'm very sure I'm not the only person here who has seen both Javan Froggie and Javan Hawk Eagle!

List Updates, August 17, 2010 (Page 2, post # 39)

Chris, the Worthen's Sparrow is now on the "not seen" list.

DMW, the Javan Hawk Eagle and Javan Frogmouth have been moved to the "seen" list.

Thanks, guys!

A few Sundaic "uber-megas" for the list, Larry. Hoogwerf's Pheasant, Stresmann's Scops Owl and Blue-wattled Bulbul. Javan Hawk Eagle and Javan Frogmouth s.s. are rarely reported and very scarce.
Chris

Hi, Chris,

I really can not find much concerning a "Hoogwerf's Pheasant" (actually, I found nothing for this bird). Do you think it should be taken off the list? Is it a subspecies of some pheasant? Do you know what the binomial nomenclature is for the Hoogwerf's Pheasant? Please advise.

Hi, Chris,

I really can not find much concerning a "Hoogwerf's Pheasant" (actually, I found nothing for this bird). Do you think it should be taken off the list? Is it a subspecies of some pheasant? Do you know what the binomial nomenclature is for the Hoogwerf's Pheasant? Please advise.
It might help to look for Hoogerwerf's Pheasant, or even better Aceh Pheasant (http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/species/index.html?action=SpcHTMDetails.asp&sid=256&m=0). It's often treated as a subspecies of Salvadori's Pheasant

I think the only person to ever have seen Golden-winged Laughingthrush (Vietnamese endemic) is not on this forum. And as the only place it is know from is not accessible (military), it will stay that way for a long time.

Hoogerwerf's Pheasant should clearly be treated as just a subspecies (if that!) of Salvadori's Pheasant from all the photos I have seen of captive birds and from comments made by a couple of researchers/birders who I've chatted to that have seen the bird in the wild.

Hanno, agree that the chances of seeing Golden-winged Laugher in the near-future is about as slim as it gets though it is known from two sites and has been seen by at least 3-4 birders though only one of those were not part of the original surveys.

I should have a couple more of those birds off the list by the end of the year!

James

Thanks, guys, for the discussion on the Aceh, Sumatran, Hoogerwerf's Pheasant. It does appear to be little cloudy just what the status of this bird is!

I believe will leave the Hoogerwerf's Pheasant on the list for the present. The Aceh or Sumatran has not been mentioned by anyone so these two names do not appear in the lists.

You can put Worthen's Sparrow on the "not seen" list Larry
Chris
( Now I've said that hundreds will be posting to say they've seen 98% of the population ;) ;) )
C.

Don't know about 98% of the population, but I've certainly seen a handful of Worthen's Sparrows (in September 2001).

3 Confirmed sightings on 18 & 19 November of Rockefeller's Sunbird in Nyungwe Forest, South-west Rwanda - myself with client and forest (national park) guide. Checking my photos to see if anything worthwhile although sadly missed a shot at the best one we saw.

Last official record for Rwanda is 25 years ago by Jean-Pierre Vande Weghe - spoke to his son today and then meeting up tomorrow for further chat :D

Cheers
Marcell

Thanks, Marcell, the Rockefellerr's Sunbird has now been moved from the "not seen" list to the "seen" list. (see Page # 2, post # 39)

Congrats!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back