• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2013 List Going? (2 Viewers)

I managed to leave work early to chase up a lifer at Rutland Water. Thankfully the Pacific Golden Plover was still there when I arrived.

281. Pacific Golden Plover.

I'm now only five off my best ever total of 286 with five and a half months still to go.

John

This morning I went on a non-birding sightseeing trip to historical Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. On the way in a shopping center parking lot, and then again along the river in Harpers Ferry, I saw several Fish Crows. It was new for my West Virginia year list (number 175) and was also a state lifer (number 209).

I had seen Fish Crows earlier in the year in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

Dave

Finally got some new birds, thanks to a week in Utah and a couple of mornings in Nevada.

254 Cinnamon Teal
255 Gambel's Quail
256 Western Grebe
257 Least Bittern
258 Wilson's Phalarope
259 Greater Roadrunner
260 Costa's Hummingbird
261 Black Phoebe
262 Violet-green Swallow
263 Verdin
264 Marsh Wren
265 Black-tailed Gnatcatcher
266 Crissal Thrasher
267 Green-tailed Towhee
268 Spotted Towhee
269 Yellow-headed Blackbird
270 Hairy Woodpecker
271 Black-billed Magpie
272 Phainopepla
273 Steller's Jay
274 Dark-eyed Junco
275 Mountain Chickadee
276 Black-capped Chickadee
277 Blue-winged Teal
278 Fox Sparrow
279 Mountain Bluebird
280 Lazuli Bunting
281 White-throated Swift
282 Black-headed Grosbeak
283 California Gull

Jeff

Last edited:
Bridled Tern.

After the marathon dip of two weeks ago when we dipped by a few minuts in Northumberland then Cleveland then Northumberland again I was a little reticent about going today, but we did, and once on the island the feeling didn't get much better as it hadn't been seen all day.

We arrived on the island at 13:45 on the Serenity and like others I have to praise the two brothers the way they looked after you, especially getting into various small bays that I had never been in before, affording us some great photo opportunities. Any way, I digress.

Arriving on the island only to be told that it hadn't been seen didn't bode very well, but thankfully we were told by the brothers that upon their return at 14:50 if the bird hadn't been seen by that time we could stay on until they came back again at 16:30.

14:50 duly arrived and Serenity came and went by 15:00. I had all but given up by then when ten minutes later a shout came up that it was back. I had walked down the jetty a bit trying for a few photos so ran back to the other birders. They tried getting a few of us onto it but it was distant and well camouflaged against the dark rocks. Thankfully one of the other birders, who knew where it was, put my scope onto it and thankfully from then on I managed to watch it until it flew off with two Sandwich Terns about twenty minutes later.

I have only just got back home so haven't had a chance to see if any of my photos have turned yet but as the bird was never near I can't see me getting anything other than a record shot. Still I have now seen the bird and that's was the main thing.

282. Bridled Tern.

John

Last edited:
A marathon trip today saw us catch up with the female Rock Thrush near St Fergus, Aberdeenshire.

283. Rock Thrush

John

262 with Curlew Sandpiper (Titchwell 6 birds present) and Baird's Sandpiper at Frampton yesterday.
I went to Frampton expecting to find WRS but i'll take Baird's instead
(difficult ID on this little peep but I think the consensus has now swung towards Baird's)

bit of a sandpiper day really, 5 Wood, 4 Common, 3 Green 6 Curlew and the Baird's

Had a manic day today, starting at Frampton Marsh for the Bairds and the Curlew Sandpipers. Also had Common, Green & Wood Sandpipers plus Greenshank, Grey Plover (including some superb summer plumaged ones) loads of Knot, Black-tailed Godwit, Dunlin & Ruff and the odd Ringed Plover.

From here we went to Cley in the hope of Little Stints but no luck, although the pager said they were there at 12:10pm (which they weren't as we had been there 45 minutes earlier and other birders before us hadn't seen them).

We were about to leave for Lynford Arboretum in the hope of seeing the Two-bar Crossbills that were then when the pager announced one just up the road at Kelling Heath so of we set soon arriving at the site but we were in for a 90 minute wait until one briefly showed. Thankfully it's call alerted us to it's presence.

The pager had announced that a Caspian Tern had been relocated at Rudyard Lake, near Leek. Staffs. We had been intending to go to where it had been roosting over the weekend but we decided to go for it there and then.

It was now 15:10 and the sat nav said we would arrive at 18:40. I new we would be later than that as we would be travelling through the rush hours on our way through Grantham, Nottingham and Derby but wasn't expecting to hit a near 5 mile tail back on the outskirts of King's Lynn.

As soon as I saw it I decided to actually try my luck at going through King's Lynn rather than get tied up in that jam and what a good decision that was as we went through with no problem saving a very large amount of time. This was crucial because at the end of an arduous journey, which took four and a half hours, we arrived at 19:43 with the Caspian Tern flying around over the Lake. Five minutes later it caught a fairly large fish, swallowed it whilst flying and took off flying north and out of sight. About 30 minutes later it was being reported at the other site a few miles away. If I hadn't had gone through King's Lynn we would have missed it.

I am now on my biggest year total ever with just over 5 months still to go.

284. Bairds Sandpiper
285. Curlew Sandpiper
286. Two-barred Crossbill
287. Caspian Tern (first for Britain).

John

262 with Curlew Sandpiper (Titchwell 6 birds present) and Baird's Sandpiper at Frampton yesterday.
I went to Frampton expecting to find WRS but i'll take Baird's instead
(difficult ID on this little peep but I think the consensus has now swung towards Baird's)

bit of a sandpiper day really, 5 Wood, 4 Common, 3 Green 6 Curlew and the Baird's

Last edited:
Ive just added Pec Sandpiper, Black-tailed Godwit and LRP and i am off to look for Curlew Sandpiper tommorrow, which are all lifers apart from the Curlew Sandpiper but it was only a fleeting view as a dog walker accidently flushed it, so hoping for better views :)

The only realtively easy one I still need is Little Stint.

Other possibilities are Y.B Warbler, Cattle Egret, Dotterel, Balearic Shearwater plus whatever the Autumn migration brings.

I am doing three Scilly pelagics in three weeks time. Hopefully they might get me a few towards the 300.

John

Yes, nice one.

There's always rarities and autumn, but what are your targets, anything common you still need to/should get ... ?

Visited some friends in my old haunt in Falmouth, this week. I didn't have much time for birding but I did manage an hour or so one morning:

196. Mediterranean Gull
197. Fulmar
198. Rock Pipit
199. Manx Shearwater
200. Gannet
201. Kittiwake
202. Common Scoter
203. Greenshank

It would be interesting to see how many BF members have now been able to add a CASPIAN TERN to their "life list" because they have seen the Cheshire bird!

It was a first for Britain for me but not a lifer as I have had them many times abroad.

Here are some photos of one's in Egypt & Gambia.

John

It would be interesting to see how many BF members have now been able to add a CASPIAN TERN to their "life list" because they have seen the Cheshire bird!

Attachments

• Caspian-Tern-4742.jpg
    Caspian-Tern-4742.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 16
  • Caspian Tern 5901.jpg
    Caspian Tern 5901.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Caspian Tern 5778.jpg
    Caspian Tern 5778.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 14
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back