• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2013 List Going? (1 Viewer)

I drove to Thornton Reservoir, Leics straight after work to see this bird. One of my favourite Heron's.

288. Night Heron

John

Attachments

• Night Heron 1st summer 3435.jpg
    Night Heron 1st summer 3435.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 25
I drove from Coventry to Horsey, Norfolk in the hope of seeing the Roller that had been there for a few days.

Upon arrival, about 08:30am, the heavens opened up and for over an hour I stood in it steadily getting soaked. Obviously no birds were flying or even showing apart from a Rook under a bush about 400 yards away, continually preening whilst the rain was falling.

There were five birders there before me and all had seen the Roller a few times already so it was worth waiting for the weather to abate, which it did around 09:40am.

Just then two Cranes flew over (and two more were seen later on) and then I spotted a Juv Cuckoo fly into the bush where the Rook was.

A couple of minutes later the Roller appeared, perched for a couple of minutes then took off with the Cuckoo seemingly attacking it. Then the Rook joined in and went for the Cuckoo then the Roller turned and went into what looked like an attack on the Cuckoo.

The Rook soon lost interest but after that it started to look more like an interaction between the Cuckoo and the Roller as they would chase each other then perch up close to each other on the same bush. This was repeated a few times before I had to leave.

That was a most enjoyable hour spent with them and thankfully by then I had all but dried out as well.

289. Roller

John

It's been very slow around here bird-wise for the last month or so. So for a little excitement and the possibility of seeing something new, I chased a Vesper Sparrow reported a few days ago from a grassy plain in a high mountain valley. This area is also supposedly a known breeding area, which I didn't know about until I talked to another birder about the report yesterday.

In any event, I saw my target after about an hour of searching. It wasn't a true year tick, since I saw a Vesper Sparrow in Arizona in May, but it was a year tick for my West Virginia list (number 176), as well as a state lifer (number 210).

Dave

Yesterday I drove 13 hours round-trip to chase a Bar-tailed Godwit which was discovered along the Virginia coast about a week or so ago. It would be an ABA Area lifer. Unfortunately, despite checking every large shorebird for a couple of hours, I dipped, making the return trip especially long and discouraging.

Despite missing the godwit, I did add 16 birds to my Year List, bringing me up to 319 for the year.

304. Laughing Gull
305. Common Tern
306. Ruddy Turnstone
307. Tricolored Heron
308. Royal Tern
309. Black Skimmer
310. Short-billed Dowitcher
311. Sanderling
312. Piping Plover
313. Little Blue Heron
314. Semipalmated Sandpiper
315. Least Tern
316. Sandwich Tern
317. Caspian Tern
318. Black Tern
319. Brown Pelican

Dave

203. Olive-sided Flycatcher, Lake Contrary, Saint Joseph, Missouri (Aug 22th)
204. Loggerhead Shrike, Muskrat Lake, Saint Joseph, Missouri (Aug 19th, I missed recording it the other day)

I did three Scilly Isle pelagics over the weekend, plus a bit of seawatching at Pendeen, Cornwall but only managed four new birds of the year having missed a few more. They were:

290. Sooty Shearwater
291. Balearic Shearwater
292. Great Shearwater
293. Cory's Shearwater

John

I have just got back from a drive up to Frodsham, Cheshire, where I saw a smart summer plumaged Cattle Egret.

294. Cattle Egret.

John

I was hoping to fill my boots today at Spurn but things didn't go to plan as all the good birds arrived after we left for Flamborough but thankfully I managed to see my biggest British bogey bird of all at Flamborough.

295. Icterine Warbler (British first)

John

Fall migrating warblers are starting to trickle through in small numbers, especially at the higher elevations. There are a handful that I missed this spring that I hope to pick up as they head south. I saw one of them today, so I'm now up to 320 for the year.

320. Pine Warbler

Dave

A long, long day today started at Happisburgh for the Western Bonelli's Warbler which didn't show and ending with a tortuous drive back through Bank Holiday Traffic to get home just after 8pm.

From Happisburgh we drove to Burnham Overy, via a breakfast in the cafe in East Runton, for a Booted Warbler(which would be a Lifer if seen.

After parking the car we started the long walk to the western end of Wells Wood. Along the way we met a few birders and all remarked how elusive the bird was. We arrived at around 11am and it took until 12.35 before I saw a bird I wasn't sure about but I managed to get a few birders onto it and thankfully they confirmed it was the Booted Warbler.

Unfortunately my mate and most of the other birders, didn't get onto it so we waited for it to show again, which it did but not until 2.05pm. Thankfully it showed a few times after that so all the birders managed to get onto it.

From here we went to Titchwell and thankfully my target bird was seen straight away when we saw 4 Little Stints on the Freshmarsh.

296. Booted Warbler (Lifer)
297. Little Stint

John

This evening while sitting on my deck with company, nine migrating nighthawks flew over. As they do not breed anywhere around here, I have to get lucky and see them as they migrate through.

321. Common Nighthawk

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back