• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2013 List Going? (1 Viewer)

Today I added Pectoral Sandpiper and Least Sandpiper to my West Virginia year list (numbers 192 and 193, respectively). This is only the second year that I've done a year list for West Virginia, and these two birds tied and broke last year's total of 192.

Dave

I've not added anything to the year list since the end of July! Had two additions today though, both at Hjälstaviken in Sweden and both are very good ticks for the country

204. Buff-breasted Sandpiper (x2)
205. Woodchat Shrike

Getting (tw)itchy feet, as nothing new for a month. Somehow managed to miss all the lovely north east coast migrants in the last two weeks. Been too busy to get out to the coast for any length of time, and when I have the wind has been very strong so little chance to see anything.
:eek!:

After a quiet few weeks of my 1st ever year list, i succeeded in getting my first wild Ring-neck parakeet along with a few others i have never seen before but were not truly wild as they ( Red Crested Pochard, Bar-Headed Goose, Bahamian Pintail, Ruddy Shelduck, Eygyptian Goose) were situated on Royal Parks, i.e Kensington Gardens/Hyde Park/St James Park.

After a quiet few weeks of my 1st ever year list, i succeeded in getting my first wild Ring-neck parakeet along with a few others i have never seen before but were not truly wild as they ( Red Crested Pochard, Bar-Headed Goose, Bahamian Pintail, Ruddy Shelduck, Eygyptian Goose) were situated on Royal Parks, i.e Kensington Gardens/Hyde Park/St James Park.

Some of the Egyptian geese are established populations, I think...

Terrific Tunisia

In addition to the non-birding highlights, Tunisia delivered amazing views of Barbary Partridge, Lanner, Perigrine, a full set of Wheatears and my first Barbary Falcon. I've added 21 to the Life List - if I can count the re-introduced Ostriches at Bouhedma National Park, which feels like a bit of a cheat bearing in mind the ease of viewing from the road (we were told that they've been there for 25 years but the web suggests otherwise). It also added 59 to the 2013 List.

705 European Bee-eater
706 Sardinian Warbler
707 Zitting Cisticola
708 Spotless Starling
709 Laughing Dove
710 Black-necked Grebe
711 Greater Flamingo
712 Ferruginous Duck
713 White-headed Duck
714 Black-winged Kite
715 Short-toed Snake Eagle
716 Black Kite
717 Long-legged Buzzard
718 Lesser Kestrel
719 Lanner Falcon
720 Barbary Falcon
721 Kentish Plover
722 Marsh Sandpiper
723 Common Greenshank
724 Wood Sandpiper
725 Temminck's Stint
726 Collared Pratincole
727 Slender-billed Gull
728 Mediterranean Gull
729 Caspian Gull
730 Lesser Crested Tern
740 Black Tern
741 Little Swift
742 Barbary Partridge
743 Common Ostrich
744 Brown-necked Raven
745 Thick-billed Lark
746 Calandra lark
747 Short-toed Lark
748 Thekla Lark
749 Lesser Short-toed Lark
750 Bar-tailed Lark
751 Teminck's Lark
752 Eastern Olivaceous Warbler (Isabelline)
753 Fulvous Babbler
754 Garden Warbler
755 Subalpine Warbler
746 Mistle Thrush
747 Common Redstart
748 Moussier's Redstar
749 Red-rumped Wheatear
750 Isabelline Wheatear
751 Desert Wheatear
752 White Crowned Wheatear
753 Black Wheatear
754 Blue Rock Thrush
755 Spanish Sparrow
756 Desert Sparrow
757 Rock Sparrow
758 Tawny Pippit
759 European Serin
760 Trumpeter Finch
761 Tree Pippit
762 Southern Grey Shrike
763 Cory's Shearwater
764 House Bunting
765 Booted Eagle
766 Maghreb Wheatear

A quick trip to Humberside followed in rapid succession.

alan

Last edited:
Travelled over to Norfolk for the prospect of a seabird fest which did not materialise. However I did see my first Leache's Petrel of the year at Cley and my first Grey Phalarope of the year at Titchwell.

315. Leache's Petrel
316. Grey Phalarope

John

Two more today.

317. Dusky Warbler at South Landing, Flamborough
318. Little Bunting, Sammy's Point, Spurn.

Sadly the Rustic Bunting (which is what I went after) didn't show at Flamborough, plus I got thoroughly soaked for my troubles.

John

211. Snowy Egret, October 14th, Lake Contrary, Saint Joseph, Missouri
212. Wilson's Snipe, October 14th, Muskrat Lake, Saint Joseph, Missouri
213. Vesper Sparrow, October 14th, Lake Contrary, Saint Joseph, Missouri

A pleasant day in Norfolk (Wolferton, Holme and Titchwell) delivered some fascinating fungi as well as great views of Jack Snipe (lifer) and Bearded Tit/Reedling.

177 Jack Snipe (769)
178 Bearded Reedling (770)

alan

Last edited:
Two more from the North East.

319. Western Bonellie's Warbler (British 1st) at Hartlepool
320. Isabelline (Daurian) Shrike. Lifer at Flamborough

I thought I had also added Pallid Swift but it has been re-identified from photographs as a Juv Common.The photos were taken yesterday in good light, something we didn't have today. All we could see was a bird against a leaden grey sky so it was nothing more than a silhouette but the photos I did manage appeared to show blunt edges to the wing tips so we felt confident with the original ID. How wrong can you be?

John

Last edited:
Just got back from a ten-hour round-trip drive to Buffalo, New York. I went to try to see a Brown Booby that has been there, and on the Ontario side of the river, for the past week or so. This is the first record of a booby for the Great Lakes.

The booby has been perching periodically on an abandoned lighthouse about a quarter of a mile or more out from shore. Unfortunately, viewing conditions were horrible today (gale-force winds that made distant viewing through the scope all but impossible, and very cold wind-chill temperatures). I stuck it out for a couple of hours, but not surprisingly I dipped on the booby (which would have been an ABA Area lifer). However, I did add one new bird to my Year List.

332. Lesser Black-backed Gull

Dave

Thankfully we turned out to be right and it has now been re-identified as a Pallid Swift after all.

Today I managed a Lifer on Hayling Island, Hampshire.

321. Pallid Swift
322. Semipalmated Plover

John

I thought I had also added Pallid Swift but it has been re-identified from photographs as a Juv Common.The photos were taken yesterday in good light, something we didn't have today. All we could see was a bird against a leaden grey sky so it was nothing more than a silhouette but the photos I did manage appeared to show blunt edges to the wing tips so we felt confident with the original ID. How wrong can you be?

John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back