• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2013 List Going? (1 Viewer)

Oh yes! Must be getting better....! With 4 ruff sailing down into Cresswell pond at the weekend, I reached 200 species for the year, 3 whole months earlier than last year!

So far:

UK: 155
Norway: 18 (1*)
Netherlands: 22 (0*)
Spain: 91 (40*)
Switzerland: 34 (2*)
France: 27 (2*)
Denmark: 26 (0*)
Ireland: 29 (0*)

Total: 200

* means unique species to that country's list not seen earlier elsewhere (so, for example, all 29 of the species seen in Ireland this year had already been seen elsewhere, 28 in the UK and 1 in Spain).

Last edited:
Today I added Nashville Warbler in my West Virginia year list (number 184), a species I had added to my ABA Area year list in Arizona this spring.

Dave

Managed only one target bird out of the three we went for in Cornwall but the weather paid put to the day as it was a day of torrential rain almost from the start of the day.

306. Citrine Wagtail.

John

The pager announced the arrival of a Great Snipe late on Saturday so we left Coventry at 4am.

We parked up by the Bluebell Pub, Kilnsea, East Yorkshire at 06:35am. Walked 50 yards up Beacon Lane and at 06:37 was watching the bird. It was a rediculously confiding bird allowing prolonged views for everyone. We stayed for quite a while watching the bird and finally the light became better but the bird had stopped feeding by then and had gone to sleep deep in some grass and with its head tucked into its shoulders.

Finally it woke up then eventually came into a clearer area giving me a chance of a clear shot, which I took.

Below are three of my efforts.

307. Great Snipe

John

Attachments

• Great Snipe 5420.jpg
    Great Snipe 5420.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Great Snipe 5351.jpg
    Great Snipe 5351.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Great Snipe 5278.jpg
    Great Snipe 5278.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
On August 22 I made the 13-hour round-trip drive to Assateague, Virginia to chase a Bar-tailed Godwit that had shown up there. I dipped on that trip.

The bird has been seen regularly since then, so yesterday I made the grueling trip again, but this time I lucked out and saw the godwit. (I tried again, because this would be an ABA Area lifer, and I might not get another chance to see the species in North America). In addition, I saw two other species, putting my Year List up to 327.

325. Brown-headed Nuthatch
326. Bar-tailed Godwit
327. White Ibis

Unbelievably, this was the exact site where I saw Black-tailed Godwit in March. When I first read the report of Bar-tailed Godwit, I ignored it for a couple of weeks because I thought it was the Black-tailed Godwit being erroneously reported as a Bar-tailed Godwit. The odds against the two European species of godwit appearing in the exact same place along the Atlantic coast several months apart must be staggering.

Dave

Last edited:
A mammoth long drive today saw us getting two of the four birds we went after. We missed the Buff-breasted Sandpiper and Wilsons Phalarope but we did see the Lesser Grey Shrike at Leiston, Suffolk and the Brown Shrike at Hook-with-Warsash, near Southampton.

308. Lesser Grey Shrike
309. Brown Shrike.

John

Two new birds for the year, so I'm now up to 329.

328. Palm Warbler
329. Connecticut Warbler

The Connecticut Warbler is a very rare bird around here (and in many other places as well), so it was a West Virginia state lifer (number 211).

Dave

We drove up to Runswick Bay, North Yorks after the Olive backed Pipit but as soon as we arrived we knew there was little hope of seeing it. The place was a maze of small paths flanked by high trees and bushes. The only description we had was that it had been seen by a carved seat but none of the locals had heard of one. We walked the whole of the village plus another path on the Cleveland Way before calling it a day. How can a birder give such useless directions?

Anyway we drove from there to Hartlepool Headland and were treated to watching at least 6 Yellow-browed Warblers (1st of year) plus my second Red-breasted Flycatcher of the year. This bird managed to stay still long enough deep in a tree for this heavily cropped image (shown below).

Just then the pager announced that the American Golden Plover had been seen again at St Mary's Island, Whitley Bay, which was about 40 miles away so of we went, arriving about 45 minutes later. Thankfully we found some birders that told us where it was and thankfully the bird showed distantly amongst over a 1000 Golden Plover.

310. Yellow-browed Warbler.
311. American Golden Plover

John

Attachments

• Red Breasted Flycatcher 5537.jpg
    Red Breasted Flycatcher 5537.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 25
This morning I led a birding outing for the local Audubon Society. Only two of us showed up, so it was more like two guys birding than an outing. We had a great day, seeing over 50 species, which included a good selection of resident species and migrants. Of those, two were new for the year, and both happened to be state lifers as well (something that doesn't happen too often since my state list has reached the 200 mark).

331. Marsh Wren
332. Philadelphia Vireo

Dave

A trip up to Frampton Marshes in Lincs got me one of my more elusive birds today.

312. Buff-breasted Sandpiper.

John

A long distance twitch today to Martin's Haven, Pembrokeshire, via Spurn yesterday for the failed attempt for the Olive-backed Pipit, although I stopped at my mates in Llanelli last night to break the journey.

Below are a few record shots taken at first light, 7.45am

313. Isabelline Wheatear.

John

Attachments

• Isabelline Wheatear 5663.jpg
    Isabelline Wheatear 5663.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Isabelline Wheatear 5662.jpg
    Isabelline Wheatear 5662.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Isabelline Wheatear 5660.jpg
    Isabelline Wheatear 5660.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Isabelline Wheatear 5655.jpg
    Isabelline Wheatear 5655.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I went to Spurn today after the PGTips, which turned out to be a gropper so after searching Spurn and finding a couple of Fircrests and a Redstart I shot off to Gibraltar Point and within seconds was watching a Siberian Stonechat.

314. Siberian Stonechat.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back