• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Is Your 2015 List Going? (5 Viewers)

167 puffin bempton 168 yellow wagtail thornwick pool 169 gargany blacktoft sands +170 motys same place 171 red throated pipit thornwick moors

I heard and then saw two new birds in the woods behind my house first thing this morning.

186. Red-eyed Vireo
187. Least Flycatcher

Dave

Hey Andy, that's great. Have you been to Namibia before? I used to live in Windhoek and there's good birding at Daan Viljoen and Avis Dam. Then of course lots up in Etosha and along the coast (Swakopmund and Walvis Bay.) Enjoy your time there. The animals are quite amazing too of course. Best wishes, Martin

Thanks Martin,

I was in Namibia in June 2013 and covered the Orange River to Etosha, including the east coast, Luderitz and Walvis Bay/Swakopmund. We didn't have enough time to do the Caprivi area, so this time we are heading north.

We spend a night in Rostock (Rostock Ritz Desert Lodge), where we'll hopefully see the Merkats which we didn't see last time. After that we head to Swakopmund (Villa Margherita) for 2 nights on the coast before Etosha via Erongo (Hohenstein Lodge) and the Waterberg (Hamakari Guest Farm). After that it's the Caprivi strip (Hakusembe River Lodge, Ndhovu Safari Lodge, Camp Kwando) before Botwsana, Chobe (Kubu lodge) and finally on to the Victoria Falls (Victoria Falls Hotel). We stopped of at the Avis Dam on our way to the airport last time and I'm very glad we did. It's a great place to visit and we added 12 species to our list for the trip.

There is a restuarant/pub looking over the dam and some ponds where we ate our last meal before heading to the airport also picking up Lilac-breasted Roller and Hamerkop from where we sat outside. A great finish to our holiday. We'll have to see if we've got time to see Daan Viljoen, but it will probably be a bit tight to squeeze it in.

We saw plenty of animals last time, but no elephant family groups, only solitary bulls. Also because we were not on any rivers we missed out on hippos, buffalo etc so that is something to look forward to.
I worked out that there are 462 possible bird species and 296 lifers, including pelagics, (11 species that we are unlikely to see) so I hope to get good haul and boost my life and year list in the process.

Tuesday, May 5

48. Chimney Swift

Conditions: Grey, overcast, 17C but felt cooler; a clammy sort of day. Out just before sunset, primarily hoping to spot one of the local Peregrines coming in to their roost (no luck there). Secondarily, hoping that a Common Nighthawk might just have come back to downtown - a slim chance, as (a) it's quite early for them, seasonally, and (b) there just aren't very many of them left (sadly). Plenty of swifts chittering away above, though.

Last edited:
100 Prothonatory warbler
101 Great crested flycatcher
102 Spotted sandpiper
103 Warbling vireo
104 Yellow warbler

Last edited:
Went into the Antelope Valley with Pasadena Audubon last weekend and picked up 13 birds for my 2015 list. A number of them I should've had months ago, but I'm taking it easy this year.

At Piute Ponds (Edwards AFB):
217. Black-bellied Plover
218. Semipalmated Plover
219. Dunlin
220. Western Sandpiper
221. Wilson's Phalarope
222. Franklin's Gull
223. Burrowing Owl
224. Le Conte's Thrasher
225. Yellow-headed Blackbird

At Lancaster Sewage Ponds:
226. White-winged Scoter (rare both inland and this far south; also, a new bird for my LA County list!)

At Apollo Park:
227. Greater White-fronted Goose
228. Ross's Goose
229. Cassin's Vireo

Despite this significant haul, I still missed out on some birds seen by other birders on the trip (Greater Roadrunner, Blue Grosbeak), or saw some things that couldn't be readily identified to species (namely, Dusky/Hammond's/Gray Flycatchers). But again, I'm taking it easy this year, and I hope to get these species at a later date.

Added today to my 2015 Missouri Bird List from my local patch south of St. Joseph, Missouri.
Cliff Swallow
Dickcissel
Eastern Kingbird
Grasshopper Sparrow
Indigo Bunting
Lark Sparrow
Orchard Oriole
Semipalmated Plover
Semipalmated Sandpiper
White-rumped Sandpiper

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back