• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2020 List Going? (2 Viewers)

Forgot to update with a lifer that I finally tracked down in the middle of Debrecen earlier this month:

232. Syrian Woodpecker

And two more year ticks today at Hortobagy:

233: Little Owl
234. Red-throated Pipit

224. Cattle egret
225. Swainson’s hawk
226. Pine siskin
227. Swamp sparrow
228. Black-bellied plover (lifer)

A second trip to Mecklenburg Vorpommern this year, specifically the Fishland - Darß- Zingst area of NE Germany gave a further 11 year birds:

132 Eurasian Wigeon
133 Common Pochard
134 Tundra Bean Goose (A solitary bird at edge of a flock of Greylag Geese)
135 Greater White Fronted Goose
136 Great Black backed Gull
137 Grey Partridge
138 Red breasted Merganser
139 Goosander
140 Lesser Black backed Gull (Baltic)
141 Spotted Redshank
142 Common Snipe

I had two year ticks last week in Aggtelek national park in northern Hungary

235. Peregrine Falcon
236. Long-eared Owl

An hour’s birding after work this afternoon produced a new bird for the year.

332. Pine Siskin

This looks to be a big invasion year for this species. Today I saw two, but throughout the state people are reporting flocks of up to 20, 30, 60, and even 250 at their feeders. I put my thistle feeder out early this fall, and although no siskins have shown up yet, I’m anticipating some interesting activity this fall and winter.

Dave

Last edited:
A quick stop at a farm pond on my way from work produced a new bird for the year.

333. Northern Pintail

A bird I should have seen last winter, but I just wasn’t able to run across one.

Dave

During some after-work birding this afternoon, I found a common bird that I should have seen last winter, but I just wasn’t able to run across one before now.

336. Northern Shoveler

Dave

A two-swan day. I went to a neighboring county this afternoon to twitch two species of swans that had been there for the last few days.

337. Trumpeter Swan
338. Tundra Swan

Also, after I returned from the swan twitch, I had three female Evening Grosbeaks at my feeder. Although not a year bird (I saw one in the mountains last January), it was a Preston County lifer, number 244. There is a developing huge invasion by this species into the northeastern United States, but they rarely get this far south.

Dave

A quick stop on the way home from work produced a new bird for the year.

339. Horned Lark

My 200th species for Preston County this year.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back