• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is 8x32 or 8x42 the best Birding format? (5 Viewers)

Dennis

A couple of months ago I spent some weeks on the Isle of Islay and I had a terrifc 8x42 with me but for a variety of reasons I ended up using an 8x32 for most of the time and not once did I feel that the 32s were inadequate.

But then I used the 42s and immediately felt more 'at ease', more 'comfortable', with the view. And I can't really explain just why this was the case. I could speculate that the bigger exit pupil allowed me to be a bit more 'approximate' when putting the bins up to my spectacles, but I never actually had any problems with the 32's exit pupil.

For me therefore the 32s are terrific lightweight and small bins that I carry when I am using a lot of photographic gear. 42s remain my main bins despite the fact that I cannot actually explain why I feel more comfortable with them.

Perhaps compared with 32s I get with 42s a little of what Henry gets when comparing his 8x56s with 42s.

Go figure.

Lee

8X32mm exit pupil = 4mm
8X42mm exit pupil = 5.25mm

32mm objective area = 804
42mm objective area = 1385 (72% greater than the 32mm)

All else being equal and assuming one can utilize the 5.25mm exit pupil, the 8X42 will deliver considerably more LIGHT to the eye when conditions warrant. We own the 8X32, 8.5X42 and 10X50 SV's and I'm sure you can guess the order of "brightness" in low light! At 63 I can easily see the differences, especially in deeply shadowed areas at dawn or twilight. I visit Alberta in late June each year when daylight fades slowly. When the 32mm starts to give out I get another 90 minutes of useful observation out of the 42mm. This summer I'll have the 50mm and I expect to bird and/or stargaze until dawn.

PS
The 32mm SV is my wife's. Also, I've done this comparison with the 8X32 SV and 8X32 SE. Results were similar.

Good info. :)

This topic came about many times before and there have been some excellent answers. I would say to look at it another way 32mm is the minimum for me. 30mm is too small, I can't use it. An issue I have with binos 32mm or less they typically are < 20oz they shake too much as they are TOO light weight. As I have read here and confirmed in the field > 32mm is better but there is a tradeoff, 42mm are bigger and heavier. Now new 42mm binos with newer composite materials are few ounces more compared to 32mm, so really 42mm are not heavy. From what I have seen around 25oz or so. So maybe then bulk of 42mm can be dealt with. Also the newer 42mm binos that I have seen have > 400ft field of view so they are the same as a 32mm. In the past, 42mm binos had around 330ft to 350ft field of view, so the 42mm are now as good as 32mm field of view. However the 42mm will always have a easier view are are easier for eyes placement and longer ER. That will never change. That will always be the difference between 32mm and 42mm. If one finds a relative compact and relative light weight 42mm then I say enjoy it as a great tool for birdwatching.

Last edited:
8X32mm exit pupil = 4mm

All else being equal and assuming one can utilize the 5.25mm exit pupil, the 8X42 will deliver considerably more LIGHT to the eye when conditions warrant. We own the 8X32, 8.5X42 and 10X50 SV's and I'm sure you can guess the order of "brightness" in low light! At 63 I can easily see the differences, especially in deeply shadowed areas at dawn or twilight. I visit Alberta in late June each year when daylight fades slowly. When the 32mm starts to give out I get another 90 minutes of useful observation out of the 42mm. This summer I'll have the 50mm and I expect to bird and/or stargaze until dawn.

PS
The 32mm SV is my wife's. Also, I've done this comparison with the 8X32 SV and 8X32 SE. Results were similar.

Your results are correct, and it simply has to do with the size of
the objective lens. I agree, the larger sizes offer much better light
transmission and you are able to use the larger ones, later with comfort.

I am not sure about how some others see it, I suppose they are just
trying to justify the 8x32 as the great all-arounder. I don't see it
that way.

Jerry

FWIW-I have tested the Swarovski 8x32 SV a ton down to the limits of of twilight and being able to see anything at all up against quality 8x42's. And it more than holds its own. In fact it is superb in low light.

And not all 8x32's are created equal in this regard. For instance the 8x32 Swaro EL that I had was not as good. And the 8x32 Nikon EDG that I had was no where near as good in very low light as the 8x32 SV. And I spent extensive time testing it.

As far as quality 8x42 bino's, I tested the 8x32 SV in low light up against the Swaro 8x42 SLD HD; and a Leupold 8x42 Cascade porro ( very good in low light)- and the 8x32 Swaro SV held it's own right up against the very limits of twilight.

So, IMO, I would not be getting a 8x42 bino to beat the 8x32 SV for simply lowlight reasons. I would get one though ( an 8x42) if you felt it was better in other optic areas than just light gathering.

And if you want to know what I would do, and you did not ask. I would get a 10x42 quality binocular to compliment the great 8x32 SV that you already own. Even though I love the 7 and 8x32 format and prefer it for most situations, I picked up a 10x42 Nikon SE and it is a super compliment to the 8x32. And I also have 6x30 binoculars that are used when I want that format.
The 8x32 SV is bright for a 32mm. I tell you it is those Swaro coatings. Swaro's are always the brightest binocular per mm of aperture there are. With all the trouble they are having with the SF I am putting that purchase on hold.

8X32mm exit pupil = 4mm

PS
The 10x50 SV will make a great astro binocular. Nice trio you have there.

Dennis

A couple of months ago I spent some weeks on the Isle of Islay and I had a terrifc 8x42 with me but for a variety of reasons I ended up using an 8x32 for most of the time and not once did I feel that the 32s were inadequate.

But then I used the 42s and immediately felt more 'at ease', more 'comfortable', with the view. And I can't really explain just why this was the case. I could speculate that the bigger exit pupil allowed me to be a bit more 'approximate' when putting the bins up to my spectacles, but I never actually had any problems with the 32's exit pupil.

For me therefore the 32s are terrific lightweight and small bins that I carry when I am using a lot of photographic gear. 42s remain my main bins despite the fact that I cannot actually explain why I feel more comfortable with them.

Perhaps compared with 32s I get with 42s a little of what Henry gets when comparing his 8x56s with 42s.

Go figure.

Lee
Exactly. Bigger more comfortable exit pupil and less glare also from the 8x42. Little more light from the 8x42 when the sun starts fading.

Your results are correct, and it simply has to do with the size of
the objective lens. I agree, the larger sizes offer much better light
transmission and you are able to use the larger ones, later with comfort.

I am not sure about how some others see it, I suppose they are just
trying to justify the 8x32 as the great all-arounder. I don't see it
that way.

Jerry
I think it really comes down to what your latitude is and what kind of weather you have. Northerly latitudes with fog and by the sea and if you do a lot of dawn and dusk observing a 42mm will help but if you are closer to the equator and observe in daylight with bright sunny weather a 32mm will work.

Good info. :)

This topic came about many times before and there have been some excellent answers. I would say to look at it another way 32mm is the minimum for me. 30mm is too small, I can't use it. An issue I have with binos 32mm or less they typically are < 20oz they shake too much as they are TOO light weight. As I have read here and confirmed in the field > 32mm is better but there is a tradeoff, 42mm are bigger and heavier. Now new 42mm binos with newer composite materials are few ounces more compared to 32mm, so really 42mm are not heavy. From what I have seen around 25oz or so. So maybe then bulk of 42mm can be dealt with. Also the newer 42mm binos that I have seen have > 400ft field of view so they are the same as a 32mm. In the past, 42mm binos had around 330ft to 350ft field of view, so the 42mm are now as good as 32mm field of view. However the 42mm will always have a easier view are are easier for eyes placement and longer ER. That will never change. That will always be the difference between 32mm and 42mm. If one finds a relative compact and relative light weight 42mm then I say enjoy it as a great tool for birdwatching.
Good observation. If you can find a nice lighter 42mm it would be the ideal all-arounder. Leica Blackline?

Last edited:
Glenn, as the size of a person's pupils approaches the size of the binocular's exit pupils, proper alignment becomes more critical or the user will experience black outs. As Bob noted, this makes a proper ipd more important. But also, it means that the user must be more disciplined in staring straight ahead. To a great extent, the reason I enjoy using binoculars with large exit pupils in broad daylight is that it affords me the luxury of letting my pupils wander a bit without wandering outside the exit pupils.

I like this explanation, peatmoss. It totally makes sense and explains the level of fidgeting I get from some binoculars and not others.

Thanks!

Why not just shrink an 8x42 to a more handy size?
A shorter design could offer both the extra eye placement flexibility inherent in the larger exit pupil as well as the easier carry prized by others.
Of course a shorter design would require a faster, more expensive optical train, but low cost manufacturing should help mitigate that.

For daylight birding, yes, I agree. I don't feel I'm giving up anything with my 8x32's in even decent light.

However, I'm also a hunter, and in that period of about 15-30 min. before and after sunset, the 8x42's definitely offer an advantage.

This is kind of crystalizing. Its larger exit pupil makes the 8x42 easier on the eyes. Its lesser size and weight makes the 8x32 quicker and easier on the body.

I gaze into my calcium fluorite crystal ball and the ghost of binocular future is Dennis roaming the Denver arsenal with two binoculars chained around his neck. Pretty young girls recoil in alarm from this spectre of extremism. I'm looking forward to his comparison.

Ron

Why not just shrink an 8x42 to a more handy size?
A shorter design could offer both the extra eye placement flexibility inherent in the larger exit pupil as well as the easier carry prized by others.
Of course a shorter design would require a faster, more expensive optical train, but low cost manufacturing should help mitigate that.

I loves my Ultravid HDs...smaller than any 8x42 I've owned...

I know what you are saying though...makes me WISH there could be a SEMI-Alpha version (or even ALPHA!) of the Short Barrel Zhumells...
zhumell-short-barrel-10x42-binoculars.jpg

A while back, I looked for 10x bins for my wife (never ended up buying though). As my wife has VERY SMALL hands, and demands lightweight as an aside. I looked for SMALL LIGHT x42s, albeit in 10x but I believe the ones I came up with all had an 8x available. I ended up looking at:

Kowa BD XD
Opticron Discovery WP PC
Pentax DCF CS

Going out before daybreak last week I grabbed a 32mm for a change and was pleasantly surprised and impressed by it's performance in increasing light, I was standing with the sun rising directly behind me.

At the other end of the day I'm still using an 8.5x45, for many reasons the best choice for me.

Perhaps the original question is a bit duff ..... :h?:

Maybe it's not 32mm, OR 42mm, but ...... 50mm that is the answer! :brains:

The 10×50 SV is a stunning view ..... maybe the 50mm SF will be even better ??? :cat:

Chosun :gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back