• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica warranty period? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
Just been looking at the specs of 7x42 ultravid hd+ and surprised to see leica only offer 3 years warranty to the original owner only, For some reason I assumed it would have been more like 10 inline with other manufacturers?

If I were to aquire a new ultravid or used model and in the event of it needing repair or service work undertaken after the warranty period was up where would I stand, presumably the binoculars could still be repaired at cost..maybe others have experiance of the above?

Matt

Just been looking at the specs of 7x42 ultravid hd+ and surprised to see leica only offer 3 years warranty to the original owner only, For some reason I assumed it would have been more like 10 inline with other manufacturers?

Matt - I believe the 3 years is the "passport warranty" which is an initial "no fault" grace period warranty for the original owner.

Then additionally there is a longer "Limited Lifetime Warranty" which covers defects and stuff (not accidental damage or normal wear and tear I assume). Note that's what I see for the USA, it may be 10 or 20 years instead of "Lifetime" where you are, but there should be some longer "limited" warranty covering defects that picks up after the 3 year "passport" period is over.

That said, there are anecdotes here and other forums that Leica is trying to ramp up their customer service to compete more with Swarovski's generous policies, so they may take care of you down the road even if it's technically out of warranty.

Of course, one of the advantages of a premium Leica binocular is you hopefully won't ever need the warranty :)

Anyone who thinks owners of Leica binoculars won't need a long warranty because they're of high manufacturing quality had better think again! I acquired a pair of 8x42 Ultravids off eBay a few weeks back which were 'significantly not as described' . Taking advice off 'another forum' I sent them to Leica in Portugal and suddenly found myself on the wrong end of a €349.25 repair estimate. It would also have cost me about €50 to have them returned unrepaired, Now back in the recentish past, Leica would have repaired them FOC as they used to have a transferable warranty for UK customers...not anymore ! I paid for the repair and to be fair they did an amazing job. But why is it that US customers have in effect a lifetime warranty and UK customers are told to jump in the lake after 3yrs?

For the four figure sums they cost, Leica full sized Ultravids etc should have a 30 yr transferable warranty like my original 10x40 BA/N Trinovids had in 1988.

Thanks for the clarification, looking through the linked forum threads below seems a few have less than positive experiances with leica cs, I should get my 8.5x42 el back from a service and may relist it as I fancy a 10x42..Chances are it won't be an ultravid.

Have yet to check my lottery ticket so might be an NL!

Matt

Thanks for the clarification, looking through the linked forum threads below seems a few have less than positive experiances with leica cs, I should get my 8.5x42 el back from a service and may relist it as I fancy a 10x42..Chances are it won't be an ultravid.

Have yet to check my lottery ticket so might be an NL!

Matt

Hi Matt, quite possibly not fitting your requirements but I believe the 10x50 Ultravid HD Plus is regarded very highly, if you were happy with the cost, weight and handholdability. See http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/Leica10x50HDPlus.htm

Similarly if you like your Swaro EL the 10x50 EL Field Pro is generally regarded as a wonderglass. http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/Swaro10x50EL.htm And if you like your Sw service experience you know what to expect if you ever needed attention to that 10x50...

All the best,

Tom

I acquired a pair of 8x42 Ultravids off eBay a few weeks back which were 'significantly not as described'.

Regardless of what happened subsequently, you should have sent them back to the seller - not to Leica.

But why is it that US customers have in effect a lifetime warranty and UK customers are told to jump in the lake after 3yrs?

Not my recent experience (and that of others here) at all. Leica UK have gone way beyond their obligations on two occasions for me, first organising a replacement even when the bin in question wasn't even bought through them, and then repairing (re-collimating) and shipping another 25 year old bin completely free of charge.

Regardless of what happened subsequently, you should have sent them back to the seller - not to Leica.

Not my recent experience (and that of others here) at all. Leica UK have gone way beyond their obligations on two occasions for me, first organising a replacement even when the bin in question wasn't even bought through them, and then repairing (re-collimating) and shipping another 25 year old bin completely free of charge.

OK, seems like my post has started something. So I'll answer.

1 As it happens I'm well aware I could have sent them back to the seller and invoked the eBay buyer protection guarantee. (Being hospitalised with a violent reaction to medication and 3 weeks recuperation doesn't help in that case).In the past I've bought from new two pairs of Trinovids , first a pair of 10x40 BA/N back in 1998 and second a pair of 8x50 Trinovid BA back in 2001, Both of these had 30 yr transferrable warranties with them. Now, as the post suggests I had the impression, albeit not from Leica directly that they often went over and above the call of duty, repairing and servicing for free.So that's why they went to Leica. I did query the warranty but they just said the 'lifetime' bit never applied to the UK, By the time they were in Portugal I was already €65 towards the cost of the repair. That was never going to be refunded by the seller no matter what this side of a small claims court.And as I would have paid more in fees than €65, it simply wasn't worth it.

2 I'm pleased that Leica have helped you and others and provided you with exceptional service. You're speaking as you found, but so am I.

I think it is important that people realise that not everyone obtains service from Leica free of charge. Now granted, my binoculars have come back with the objectives replaced, the rubber armour replaced and the focusing mechanism thoroughly serviced. But then again at €349.25 it is reasonable to expect it.

Hello,

Did not the EU limit warranties to something less than those available in the USA?

Stay safe,
Arthur

OK, seems like my post has started something. So I'll answer.

1 As it happens I'm well aware I could have sent them back to the seller and invoked the eBay buyer protection guarantee. (Being hospitalised with a violent reaction to medication and 3 weeks recuperation doesn't help in that case).In the past I've bought from new two pairs of Trinovids , first a pair of 10x40 BA/N back in 1998 and second a pair of 8x50 Trinovid BA back in 2001, Both of these had 30 yr transferrable warranties with them. Now, as the post suggests I had the impression, albeit not from Leica directly that they often went over and above the call of duty, repairing and servicing for free.So that's why they went to Leica. I did query the warranty but they just said the 'lifetime' bit never applied to the UK, By the time they were in Portugal I was already €65 towards the cost of the repair. That was never going to be refunded by the seller no matter what this side of a small claims court.And as I would have paid more in fees than €65, it simply wasn't worth it.

2 I'm pleased that Leica have helped you and others and provided you with exceptional service. You're speaking as you found, but so am I.

I think it is important that people realise that not everyone obtains service from Leica free of charge. Now granted, my binoculars have come back with the objectives replaced, the rubber armour replaced and the focusing mechanism thoroughly serviced. But then again at €349.25 it is reasonable to expect it.

Thanks for the reply, Peter.

Sorry that you found yourself in that situation and were not really able to return them to the seller. Yes, I've had excellent service, and so have many others, but I guess in the end what they will do for free in necessarily limited. I'm not sure that even Swarovski would do that amount of work (the need for which presumably resulted from more than regular wear and tear or manufacturing fault) for nothing......

Hopefully now you have a virtually new pair of Ultravids for at least a reasonable total cost.

Hi Matt, quite possibly not fitting your requirements but I believe the 10x50 Ultravid HD Plus is regarded very highly, if you were happy with the cost, weight and handholdability. See http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/Leica10x50HDPlus.htm

Similarly if you like your Swaro EL the 10x50 EL Field Pro is generally regarded as a wonderglass. http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/Swaro10x50EL.htm And if you like your Sw service experience you know what to expect if you ever needed attention to that 10x50...

All the best,

Tom

Never considered a 10x50 due to weight and size, though if I did most of my birding from the comfort of a bird hide with an arm rest at 'just that right height' to pitch up on I could see the appeal.

Will likely stick with 42mm something, both 7x and 10 appeals for different reasons but have to shift a couple of binos on before I even consider another purchase..might well end up keeping the el 8.5x42 a while longer as since the price drop folks expect to buy them for peanuts secondhand!

Interesting to here different experiances re leica service, I haven't owned a leica binoc for a good few years but the last 8x32 ba trinovid I had (what little gems they were!) was serviced and re armoured free of charge despite me buying them secondhand.

Matt

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, Peter.

Sorry that you found yourself in that situation and were not really able to return them to the seller. Yes, I've had excellent service, and so have many others, but I guess in the end what they will do for free in necessarily limited. I'm not sure that even Swarovski would do that amount of work (the need for which presumably resulted from more than regular wear and tear or manufacturing fault) for nothing......

Hopefully now you have a virtually new pair of Ultravids for at least a reasonable total cost.

After some deliberation, that was the way I came round to seeing the situation.

I have also seemed to have gained a nice jump in optical performance. As we know, the Ultravids weren't exactly rubbish to start off with, But as with my three previous models, there's always been some mild to moderate CA.

These are now virtually CA free.

What exactly Leica have done is difficult to asceraian they haven't mentioned upgrading optics on the service report.

But that jump is certainly there and I am very happy,

Hello All,

Just be thankfull that you are able to have your Leica's repaired at all.

Like most manufacturers today Leica concentrates on the markets where the money is , that is Europe , U.S.A. and possibly Great Britain.

Those of us that live elsewhere in the world do not get the same level of service at all , warranties actually mean little , if anything at all to us.

:-C

Just saying.

Cheers.

Hello All,

Just be thankfull that you are able to have your Leica's repaired at all.

Like most manufacturers today Leica concentrates on the markets where the money is , that is Europe , U.S.A. and possibly Great Britain.

Those of us that live elsewhere in the world do not get the same level of service at all , warranties actually mean little , if anything at all to us.

:-C

Just saying.

Cheers.

All Leica repairs are done in Portugal. You can send things directly to them from anywhere......

There have to be Leica, Zeiss etc shops/sellers or distributors in RSA though? Those guys will know how to get things sorted under local conditions than we ever will...

If I were to aquire a new ultravid or used model and in the event of it needing repair or service work undertaken after the warranty period was up where would I stand, presumably the binoculars could still be repaired at cost..maybe others have experiance of the above?

Matt

Unfortunately that's right.

Three years 'Passport'

Ten years parts and labour

Original owner only.

I know because I got caught out.

The one thing is that Leica do give a total service from door to door. I had a pair of 8x42 Ultravids which were obtained via eBay and were restored to virtually 'as new" condition. They also used a premium DHL service from Portugal which gave a very detailed account for tracking purposes.

Unfortunately that's right.

Three years 'Passport'

Ten years parts and labour

Original owner only.

I know because I got caught out.

The one thing is that Leica do give a total service from door to door. I had a pair of 8x42 Ultravids which were obtained via eBay and were restored to virtually 'as new" condition. They also used a premium DHL service from Portugal which gave a very detailed account for tracking purposes.

Hi Peter

Would you kindly explain what 'ten years parts and labour' means here? That sounds like a warranty.

Lee

I always knew when you buy Leica used/secondhand here in the US, be prepared to pay for service out of pocket. There has been some surprises when they serviced a BA 10X50 for free, light internal cleaning/dust, (the glass was in mint condition) they even replaced the armor, all at no charge. That is not the norm. I am grateful just to have them serviced, so I am willing to pay for those services.
If buying used I would get a certified demo, Camaraland has them throughout the year, you get a 10 year warranty. If I buy a new Leica as I have from the Netherlands, they come with a 10 year warranty. Leica USA confirmed to me that they are not gray market glass, (if bought from a Certified Leica dealer in the EU) and they will service them here in the US if needed.

There are sellers on the bay that sell discounted Leicas, they do not come with a Warranty from Leica, they offer their own (short duration) and I would stay away from those sellers.

I always wondered about the lifetime warranty, I mean it could be changed on a dime by the manufacturer at any time. As said before, be grateful that you get service at all.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back